1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Winks

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by elltrev, 27 Jul 2016.

1. Benny_Lad

Benny_Lad Anthony Gardner

One of the things with Winks is, he could perform at exactly the same level as De Jong for a whole season, but it might still not be understood or appreciated by many. Lots of people still like to see goals and assists in a CM, or an out and out DCM. Winks is nether of these.

De jong, Pirlo and modric are all excellent at controlling football matches and connecting the defence to the attacking players. Winks can absolutely be a top level performer in that regard.

scaramanga, Yermiyahu, Robbo and 5 others like this.
  2. parklane1

parklane1 Chris Jones

Could not agree more, IF he can stay fit he is going to be a massive player for us and England going forward.

Yermiyahu, Alaric and Bedfordspurs like this.
  3. P.D.

P.D. Mauricio Taricco

Problem is staying fit, 3 seasons in a row he's picked up an injury that's kept him out for a while.

4. alekaras

alekaras The ITK of IDK

"Harry, we got a brickload of guys who can put the ball in the net. We ain't got no midfield though."

5. Bullet

Bullet Jimmy McCormick

So...
    Steve Holland
    Gary Neville
    Roy Hodgson
    All feel the same way; Winks is key.

Someone on here said to listen to the Gary Neville podcast. Once you get past his 'friendship' with Martin Tyler... Neville's main point is that none of Xavi / Iniesta / someone I can't remember... was a DM, they were just good players. He says Scholes/Carrick was a great midfield and Carrick was not a standard "tough tackling hard running" DM, he was a classy player that could take it on the turn. He says for the England team, he and Hodgson tried to play Wheelchair at the base of the diamond with 2 "dogs" either side to do the running... much like Milan used to have Pirlo at the base, flanked by 2 dogs Gattuso and someone I forget. Only Wheelchair and Lallana had that technique to take the ball on the turn. Interesting to invert the standard thinking of "play the DM deepest" and say you want a skilled player at the base of the diamond, flanked by 2 dogs.

6. Glenda's Legs

Glenda's Legs Vedran Corluka

Spur of the moment likes this.
  7. parklane1

parklane1 Chris Jones

Looking forward to seeing this lads progress next season.

Bedfordspurs and Yermiyahu like this.
  8. Gazza

Gazza Mauricio Taricco

Hate to say this but if his body breaks down again next season, it could be a turning point in his career

metalgear likes this.
  9. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Colin Calderwood

I think people get carried away with certain injuries forgetting how they happened

Lamela for example got injured in a warm up... that’s a “body breaking down example”, but also had some issues that required surgery

Winks issues seem to all stem from that game at Burnley and the tackle into the water bottles. That’s an impact injury and IMO nothing to do with the body’s state and ability to recover

Impact injuries are what they are, a result of playing and having contact in a game

I worry about players picking up muscle injuries as that’s a sign of a “material defect”

MKSpur likes this.
  10. monkeybarry

monkeybarry Michael Carrick

@Bedfordspurs
    I agree with most of that. However it does work as an indicator for his body to heal itself. This can be improved with conditioning, but he's getting to an age where the results of that become less (I think a study a few years ago showed 24 and after showed the benefits of conditioning did little more than maintenance - if I remember correctly).

I think it's fair to say next season is important for him physically.

11. Gazza Dazzla

Gazza Dazzla Simon Davies

Hopefully he won’t have to be thrown back in the team after injuries next season. It was literally him and Sissoko last season holding fort, I’m convinced Winks was never really 400% last time out, he was basically taking one for the team.

braineclipse likes this.
  12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Colin Calderwood

Best conditioning in the world won’t stop you get injured from a whack, a bad tackle or an accident

But it’s a huge season for him as we missed him massively when he was out and he was IMO comfortably the best player on either side in the CL final

13. scaramanga

scaramanga Steve Sedgley Staff Member

https://statsbomb.com/2019/03/the-modern-midfielder-ball-mover/

14. Cochise

Cochise Terry Venables

I would love to see us start the system with a 3 of Winks, N'Dombele and Lo-Celso (fingers crossed). The latter two are great dribblers and can take it on the turn meaning that we will have two midfielders who will all need to be have someone glued to them allowing for a deep lying playmaker.

15. Denmark Spur

Denmark Spur Mitchell Thomas

16. markysimmo

markysimmo Johnny nice-tits

Both fully deserved

P.D. likes this.
  17. 90291Spur

90291Spur Jimmy Neighbour

OK, I see a smiley face on the tracksuit top top.
    Now I see a boomerang on the lower part of the top.
    Now I see a starfish with two of their legs cut off. The starfish, for some reason, is smiling.
    Now I see that Ben’s zip is in the shape of a ‘Y’ - so he’s definitely off and Poch should have him train with the kids immediately.
    Now I see the bottom half of a woman’s torso and she is wearing a black thong hitched over her inviting hips.

WHAT DO YOU SEE???

Rorschach likes this.
  18. Notmegov

Notmegov Mido

Custard lots and lots of Custard.

braineclipse and 90291Spur like this.
  19. braineclipse

braineclipse Colin Calderwood

20. milo

milo Teddy Sheringham Staff Member

I think you need to clean your screen

90291Spur likes this.