• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Grealish

£25m is too much for an attacking young English player? What do you think he's worth?
I think a squad player who isn't good enough for our first team is worth whatever pocket change is left after buying the players we need to improve the first team.

We learned the hard way with Sissoko, let's not make that mistake again.

But again, SAF (a man I greatly respect BTW) would complain! Levy was right in both those cases as the players were each tapped up and unsettled to the point of being useless to us! Levy produced miracles with Berba IMO. Carrick had his head turned so far he looked like Linda Blair.

Far from Levy being “a bastard to deal with” he has established ground whereby we stand our ground as firmly as Liverpool, City, United, etc and are no longer a club which can be royally rogered simply via tapping up our best talent!

Sorry - I just find the “bastard Levy negotiator” boring. FWIW I am sure he is hard to deal with. Good!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

And again, have there been deals we have missed out on that were absolutely key to us, that we missed because Levy took it to the line and failed? I'm talking Berahino, Grealish style?

The only one I can think of is Moutinho - a player that would have been key to AVB's system and one we danced around for ages but didn't conclude. Otherwise, if it's a player that's really key for us, Levy tends to get it done. And maybe he learned from that Moutinho experience. If it's a 'good signing if the deal works for us' type, he absolutely squeezes it, and probably for good reason.

And on the other hand, has he ever sold a key player to us for far less than they were worth? It absolutely never happens. There is an argument to say Berbatov wasn't replaced efficiently, but Pav was a good signing for all intents and purposes and are struggles at the start of that season were more to do with Ramos.

But again, SAF (a man I greatly respect BTW) would complain! Levy was right in both those cases as the players were each tapped up and unsettled to the point of being useless to us! Levy produced miracles with Berba IMO. Carrick had his head turned so far he looked like Linda Blair.

Far from Levy being “a bastard to deal with” he has established ground whereby we stand our ground as firmly as Liverpool, City, United, etc and are no longer a club which can be royally rogered simply via tapping up our best talent!

Sorry - I just find the “bastard Levy negotiator” boring. FWIW I am sure he is hard to deal with. Good!

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I'm sure that we would've seen more interest in Eriksen and Kane this summer if he wasn't a tough negotiator. Financing the stadium would be more expensive too because the books wouldn't be as healthy.

And again, have there been deals we have missed out on that were absolutely key to us, that we missed because Levy took it to the line and failed? I'm talking Berahino, Grealish style?

The only one I can think of is Moutinho - a player that would have been key to AVB's system and one we danced around for ages but didn't conclude. Otherwise, if it's a player that's really key for us, Levy tends to get it done. And maybe he learned from that Moutinho experience. If it's a 'good signing if the deal works for us' type, he absolutely squeezes it, and probably for good reason.

And on the other hand, has he ever sold a key player to us for far less than they were worth? It absolutely never happens. There is an argument to say Berbatov wasn't replaced efficiently, but Pav was a good signing for all intents and purposes and are struggles at the start of that season were more to do with Ramos.

Was the Moutinho issue not his club suddenly wanting to increase the fee at the last minute?

Was the Moutinho issue not his club suddenly wanting to increase the fee at the last minute?

Maybe, I can’t remember the precise outcome but that felt like one where maybe the club got fed up of being taken to the wire (wasn’t he at Sporting? Did they still have the same insane Chairman then that they do now?) and decided to move the goalposts ala WBA and Villa.

To me Moutinho feels like one of those players that really would have been a difference maker, in helping a new manager’s system bed in, replace Modric seemlessly and it would have been an example of backing and trusting the manager ala Sanchez, Wanyama, Son. Heck, even Llorente was a totally atypical Levy buy and must have had Poch’s push over it.

So I think for the most part Levy backs his managers well, and it certainly seems like the combination of him and Poch has meant we’ve taken a really smart approach to team building. He obviously has the relationship with Poch that he never had with AVB. And that maybe why we see these Grealish, Berahino type negotiations. I have to believe that if Poch was desperate for them, the deals would get done.

From the Beeb

Grealish deal still alive?

Steve Sutcliffe

BBC Sport

Tottenham have retained an interest in Jack Grealish throughout the summer which culminated in a £25m bid for the player earlier this week.

Despite Villa's improved financial position - following the takeover by billionaire businessmen Wes Edens and Nassef Sawiris - which has brought a reluctance to sell, the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is notorious for driving a hard bargain.

It is thought that Spurs may return with another offer for the player and if it is North of £30m a deal could well yet be concluded.

However, at present Grealish faces another season in the second tier.

From the Beeb

Grealish deal still alive?

Steve Sutcliffe

BBC Sport

Tottenham have retained an interest in Jack Grealish throughout the summer which culminated in a £25m bid for the player earlier this week.

Despite Villa's improved financial position - following the takeover by billionaire businessmen Wes Edens and Nassef Sawiris - which has brought a reluctance to sell, the Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is notorious for driving a hard bargain.

It is thought that Spurs may return with another offer for the player and if it is North of £30m a deal could well yet be concluded.

However, at present Grealish faces another season in the second tier.

We’re not in the second tier

Back