• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gedson Fernandes

He’s not not getting my football juices flowing in the slightest.
Based on the video? I don't get that. He looks big, strong, phyiscal, pretty quick, brave, looks like he has a good touch and you can't help but admire some of his long passes. I don't like the fact that he is another player who seems to massively favour one foot even when dribbling, but at least he was prepared to use his left for the odd pass/shot in that compilation. It's also good to see a player who takes penalties, shows that the player has confidence in their ability.

Agreed, and whats the worst that can happen? He spends 18 months at Spurs, we pay his wages and then send him back.

Videos of him shows that he has ability on the ball and if Mourinho sees him as someone he can turn into a decent PL player then thats good enough for me

CM isnt top priority in my mind, but I dont think we're over-burdened with decent midfielders

Exactly. These kind of loan deals could turn out to be the way forward.

Joao Sacramento is Portuguese and was a youth player at Braga.
Mourinho is obviously Portuguese.
So I am pleased we are looking in Portugal for the next wave of talent off the production line, it makes perfect sense to me.

TBF if you mean the likes of windy and his gang their just never happy we’re not using a kid from the youth team
And let’s be honest... anyone who claims to know much about this lad is lying as he has barely played a game

Our Youth team is clearly not up to scratch at the moment.

Based on the video? I don't get that. He looks big, strong, phyiscal, pretty quick, brave, looks like he has a good touch and you can't help but admire some of his long passes. I don't like the fact that he is another player who seems to massively favour one foot even when dribbling, but at least he was prepared to use his left for the odd pass/shot in that compilation. It's also good to see a player who takes penalties, shows that the player has confidence in their ability.

I agree - saw it and I thought this guy has potential - big, fast, strong, tekkers (outside of the foot pass was sweet) on an 18 month see-if-he-does-it deal. when you take into account we've definitely got room to grow someone in the CDM role seems like a blinder. I agree, its the Mourinho-Mendes thing, but is that so bad? They are both winners and if associating with people changes you it seems like it's not the worst thing at all. I don't know why Benfica would agree to such a lopsided deal.

O Jogo reported on Sunday that Tottenham would be paying a €4.5m loan fee for the midfielder, who is arriving on an initial 18 month deal. They put the buying option at €50-60m.

Monday’s edition of Record reports Gedson ‘signs today for Spurs’. There’s ‘white smoke’ on the move, and Record believe the buying option stands at €60m.

It’s once again stated Jorge Mendes and Miguel Pinho have been working together on the transfer.

They don’t share a figure for the loan fee.
A Bola put the buying option at €50m, and they say the loan will cost €1.5m, which is a third of O Jogo’s claim on Sunday.

Cant say I know the first thing about the player, but this sounds like a very good deal should he live up to expectations.

O Jogo reported on Sunday that Tottenham would be paying a €4.5m loan fee for the midfielder, who is arriving on an initial 18 month deal. They put the buying option at €50-60m.

Monday’s edition of Record reports Gedson ‘signs today for Spurs’. There’s ‘white smoke’ on the move, and Record believe the buying option stands at €60m.

It’s once again stated Jorge Mendes and Miguel Pinho have been working together on the transfer.

They don’t share a figure for the loan fee.
A Bola put the buying option at €50m, and they say the loan will cost €1.5m, which is a third of O Jogo’s claim on Sunday.

Cant say I know the first thing about the player, but this sounds like a very good deal should he live up to expectations.
Agreed. If he is good enough for us then he should be worth the £43 million or so transfer fee. The stories I saw suggested that the fee depends on whether it is an option or obligation. If an obligation then the fees suggested are around £30 million.

https://www.skysports.com/transfer/news/11096/11900126/gedson-fernandes-man-utd-and-west-ham-linked-with-benfica-and-portugal-youngster

Gedson Fernandes: Why Tottenham, Chelsea, West Ham made offers for Benfica and Portugal youngster

Tottenham are thought to have won the race to sign Fernandes on loan

Tottenham look to have beaten West Ham and Chelsea to the signing of Benfica youngster Gedson Fernandes - but what would the 21-year-old bring to the Premier League?

Chelsea are believed to have offered an initial loan deal with an obligation to buy for £55m should Fernandes play at least 50 per cent of games over the 18-month period, while West Ham are thought to have made a similar offer with an obligation to buy for £33m, with a lower percentage of appearances triggering the purchase.

But despite Fernandes posting an Irons symbol on Instagram last week, suggesting a move to London Stadium could be on the cards, Spurs have moved in late to hijack the deal and the 20-year-old is expected to complete a loan switch to north London in the coming days. It is not known if there is an obligation to buy at the end of the loan.

Meanwhile, Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has admitted the club want to recruit in central midfield, with Paul Pogba and Scott McTominay sidelined - leaving only Nemanja Matic, Fred and Andreas Pereira to call upon.

Lyon and AC Milan have made formal offers but the player would prefer a move to the Premier League.

Fernandes has not featured in Benfica's last seven games and is thought to have fallen out with head coach Bruno Lage.

His contract includes a £102m release clause - but Benfica have conceded they will not get that kind of money for an out-of-favour player.

And when given a choice between West Ham and Spurs, it appears the prospect of Champions League football and playing under fellow countryman Jose Mourinho was too good to turn down for Fernandes.

Where does he play?
He joined Benfica's youth system in 2009 and was promoted to the first-team squad for the the start of 2018/19, promptly earning his senior international debut - having represented his country at youth levels.

In that breakout league campaign, Fernandes played either side of central midfield and clocked 1,044 minutes. This term, he has racked up just 215 minutes so far, primarily deployed as an attacking right midfielder.

skysports-graphic-gedson-fernandes_4882007.jpg

The graphic below shows his heatmap and key stats from last season, revealing how he typically prefers to work midway inside the opposition half but also drops deeper.

His key attribute is running with the ball, frequently being fouled and winning free-kicks - but he also provides midfield mettle with an above-average number of duels won and forward-thinking distribution.

skysports-gedson-fernades-graphic_4881939.png

The touch map below elaborates on the above, revealing how he rarely enters the penalty box but operates deeper in the opposition's half and works into wider areas, while the passing sonar indicates he rarely passes backwards.

skysports-graphic-gedson-fernandes_4881940.png

Those tendencies play out in his shot map for 2018/19, too. He took only six shots inside the box but attempted 10 from range - all typically coming from the right-of-centre area, with a distance of about 25 yards.

skysports-gedson-fernandes_4881936.png

The player's representatives have been in the UK to discuss a potential move to the Premier League, and the Portugal international would offer forward-thinking creativity, defensive qualities and youth for the suitors.

Back