• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Dele Alli

My concern is not his workmate or current dip in form, but his attitude - especially towards Harry. I have noticed recently that he doesn't seem at all pleased when Harry scores (not even going over to congratulate him, unlike with Eriksen, who he jumped all over on Saturday after he scored). Dele has also had very public shows of displeasure when Harry shoots rather than passes to him in recent games.

Even when Dele has scored himself this season - his own celebration is extremely muted to say the least. Strange, no?
Have to say I've noted the exact same thing this season, to the point that I've been looking specifically for him. And his displeasure at not getting the ball has been warranted at times, to put it mildly. That said, I think Alli is at an important junction in his career, it's at this point you often cement the path forward for guys with his skillset. I have a suspicion that some of "it" is because he has come this far by possessing extreme talent, and hasn't had to work quite as hard to get where he is as, say a player like Kane. I mean, from league one to "top 10 players in the world" in two seasons, that's some FIFA17 story right there. There are enough examples of highly talented people who begin to struggle when talent is no longer enough after your "15 minutes of fame", and not only in football. I like to think that our club has a kind of support system for this kind of rocket career, but you never really know with young impressionable. I'm very happy that Kane seems to have a totally different kind of personality, I would not be surprised if he was with us until his late 20s.

I don't (like to) form an opinion based on newspapers and rumours, I mostly go by what I see. And while I don't read too much into his body language, I can't say that I particulary like it either. Time will show, I guess.

My concern is not his workmate or current dip in form, but his attitude - especially towards Harry. I have noticed recently that he doesn't seem at all pleased when Harry scores (not even going over to congratulate him, unlike with Eriksen, who he jumped all over on Saturday after he scored). Dele has also had very public shows of displeasure when Harry shoots rather than passes to him in recent games.

Even when Dele has scored himself this season - his own celebration is extremely muted to say the least. Strange, no?
He hasn't been delivering the kind of end product we've grown accustomed to over the last two seasons. He knows that.

So he's frustrated? Angry? Upset? Determined? Desperate? All of the above and more?

He shows some of those feelings when he doesn't get the pass he things he should have gotten? Perhaps he's showing some jealousy towards Kane, who has been scoring at a ridiculous rate?

So what? The boy/man has feelings. He's expressing some of them. As long as he keeps working hard for the team and impressing Pochettino enough to warrant starts... with his ability and Pochettino's guidance the goals will start flowing again soon enough. Then he will be happier, and he'll probably show us those feelings too.

I see no real signs of an attitude problem. I see nothing that is better explained by an attitude problem than by him being a very competitive human being with feelings. He wants to be a bigger superstar than Harry Kane? Brilliant! Go for it, he will know he'll have a real fight on his hands for that. If Pochettino knows what he's doing it should be to our advantage.

He hasn't been delivering the kind of end product we've grown accustomed to over the last two seasons. He knows that.

So he's frustrated? Angry? Upset? Determined? Desperate? All of the above and more?

He shows some of those feelings when he doesn't get the pass he things he should have gotten? Perhaps he's showing some jealousy towards Kane, who has been scoring at a ridiculous rate?

So what? The boy/man has feelings. He's expressing some of them. As long as he keeps working hard for the team and impressing Pochettino enough to warrant starts... with his ability and Pochettino's guidance the goals will start flowing again soon enough. Then he will be happier, and he'll probably show us those feelings too.

I see no real signs of an attitude problem. I see nothing that is better explained by an attitude problem than by him being a very competitive human being with feelings. He wants to be a bigger superstar than Harry Kane? Brilliant! Go for it, he will know he'll have a real fight on his hands for that. If Pochettino knows what he's doing it should be to our advantage.

Have you not noticed his muted goal celebrations and failure to embrace Harry when he scores? If so, you can't be watching that closely.

I agree with you that he is young etc etc but there is something more underlying his performances this season. To my mind it is not unlike Eriksen's lack of form/focus early last season. Then he signed a new contract and Bingo, his performances miraculously improved. Dele is looking distracted and Poch needs to refocus him - maybe with a pay rise to take him up to the Lloris/Kane level. He seems jealous by all the talk of us being a one man team. To put him on a par with Harry would be a great statement of intent on our behalf and might just do the trick.

Have you not noticed his muted goal celebrations and failure to embrace Harry when he scores? If so, you can't be watching that closely.

I agree with you that he is young etc etc but there is something more underlying his performances this season. To my mind it is not unlike Eriksen's lack of form/focus early last season. Then he signed a new contract and Bingo, his performances miraculously improved. Dele is looking distracted and Poch needs to refocus him - maybe with a pay rise to take him up to the Lloris/Kane level. He seems jealous by all the talk of us being a one man team. To put him on a par with Harry would be a great statement of intent on our behalf and might just do the trick.

I'm usually a bit busy with my own celebrations when we score. But I'll take your word for it.

What you're describing in this post doesn't seem like an attitude problem to me. If you disagree with my alternative explanation to your attitude problem explanation then fair enough. For me Alli's attitude seems great.

As is so often the case I think way too much is being read into a small handful of incidents.

I'm usually a bit busy with my own celebrations when we score. But I'll take your word for it.

What you're describing in this post doesn't seem like an attitude problem to me. If you disagree with my alternative explanation to your attitude problem explanation then fair enough. For me Alli's attitude seems great.

As is so often the case I think way too much is being read into a small handful of incidents.

I think maybe you are confusing attitude and effort. I am not criticizing his effort, but to me he just doesn't seem happy. Big smiles, crazy handshakes, silly celebrations, mad-cap antics, Dier love-in etc etc all seem absent from him at the moment.

Sissoko has played better than Dele this season so most definitely shouldnt be beyond criticism. And Im not just talking about in comparison to both's abilities either. There, I said it....
tumblr_mwsp2nrQy71qeenmqo10_250.gif

He's a risk taker. He is young and wants to develop his game. We have always had flair players at Spurs, we need to be patient while he develops rather than try and turn him into a robot. No one needs reminding that Hoddle was labelled a luxury player outside of Spurs or Bales' early spurs career was a struggle. Dele will be fine. If Poch didn't approve would take him out of the team.

Bang on the button. Mountains being made out of molehills by some.

I think maybe you are confusing attitude and effort. I am not criticizing his effort, but to me he just doesn't seem happy. Big smiles, crazy handshakes, silly celebrations, mad-cap antics, Dier love-in etc etc all seem absent from him at the moment.

He's out of form - I'd put any lack of smiles handshakes and silly celebrations down to that before inventing a conspiracy of jealously tbh

He looks to me exactly the same as he has in the previous two seasons whenever he was playing poorly or when things went against him - he's a player who seems, to me at least, to wear his emotions on his sleeve - and I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary with regards to that.

Last edited:
Not smoke without fire. There was genuine distraction. I am relieved to see a public statement from his reps stating that he will not be doing anything with Mendes or Riola (well not during the season) and that his old long-time counsel will be handling his affairs for the foreseeable future. I am going to guess that someone has had a word with him in the last few weeks, because I noticed an upturn in his fight and attitude against Bournemouth last weekend. He is a brilliantly gifted and wonderful young player, thus I hope we will see him continue to work his way into top form. Maybe worth a cheeky bet to score the winner tomm?

Not smoke without fire. There was genuine distraction. I am relieved to see a public statement from his reps stating that he will not be doing anything with Mendes or Riola (well not during the season) and that his old long-time counsel will be handling his affairs for the foreseeable future. I am going to guess that someone has had a word with him in the last few weeks, because I noticed an upturn in his fight and attitude against Bournemouth last weekend. He is a brilliantly gifted and wonderful young player, thus I hope we will see him continue to work his way into top form. Maybe worth a cheeky bet to score the winner tomm?

This is my worry about getting Mendes (or Gestifute) clients into the club, though - it opens up the possibility of Mendes using that player to sway others into appointing him as their agent, and then it could well unravel from there. In this case, of course, the rumors about Mendes and Alli came despite the former having no representation at the club...but if the summer's transfer speculation was true and we were indeed pursuing Andre Gomes, then that could have been what brought that super-agent influence into the dressing room if it were pushed through.

When we tried approaching another Mendes client in Mourinho back in 2007 (after his first sacking at Chelsea), it was a much less dangerous situation, because we had no world class players worth wooing, really (apart from Berba, King and Keane, I suppose) - and if we got Mourinho in, then Mendes couldn't fudge around moving the players we *did* have to other clubs, because it would be f*cking over his own client in Mourinho. But, ten years on, letting Mendes into the club on the player side of things is a dangerous, dangerous prospect, especially given the age and potential of this squad.

This is my worry about getting Mendes (or Gestifute) clients into the club, though - it opens up the possibility of Mendes using that player to sway others into appointing him as their agent, and then it could well unravel from there. In this case, of course, the rumors about Mendes and Alli came despite the former having no representation at the club...but if the summer's transfer speculation was true and we were indeed pursuing Andre Gomes, then that could have been what brought that super-agent influence into the dressing room if it were pushed through.

When we tried approaching another Mendes client in Mourinho back in 2007 (after his first sacking at Chelsea), it was a much less dangerous situation, because we had no world class players worth wooing, really (apart from Berba, King and Keane, I suppose) - and if we got Mourinho in, then Mendes couldn't fudge around moving the players we *did* have to other clubs, because it would be f*cking over his own client in Mourinho. But, ten years on, letting Mendes into the club on the player side of things is a dangerous, dangerous prospect, especially given the age and potential of this squad.

Don't read the rags so was more than a bit perplexed by these posts. So for the benefit of others like me just back from Mars here's what Google found:

Jorge Mendes & Mino Raiola rejected by Tottenham star

By Benjamin Newman on Saturday, October 21, 2017
Dele Alli & Tottenham

For quite some time, people have been discussing how long Dele Alli will remain at Tottenham.
The 21-year-old England midfielder has five years left on his contract at Spurs, yet he’s constantly linked with a move.

That’s because Alli is so highly-rated, and everyone knows that he’s not on massive wages at Tottenham.

So if a club like Barcelona or Real Madrid came in for Alli with a huge offer, would that turn the midfielder’s head?

Jorge Mendes v Mino Raiola

As the whole Alli discussion plays out, the world’s two leading super-agents, Jorge Mendes and Mino Raiola, are locked in a battle to sign the Tottenham star as their client.

Mendes and Raiola are known for sealing the biggest transfers in world football, so the suspicion is that they want Alli in order to take him away from Tottenham.

In an interesting note, it’s been claimed that Mendes and Raiola have tried to convince Alli to sign with them by securing the future of Harry Hickford.

He’s labelled as being like “a brother” to Alli as they lived together during their teenage years.

Alli rejects the offer

But on Saturday, the Times have reported that Alli is to reject the advances of the two super-agents.

In great news for Spurs fans, readers are told the following:

Dele Alli has no immediate plans to sign up with a leading sports agency despite being courted by Jorge Mendes and Mino Raiola, who have both pledged to facilitate a transfer to one of Europe’s biggest clubs.

The Tottenham Hotspur midfielder’s contract negotiations with the club are being handled by Ian Lynam,
his lawyer, of newly established law firm Northridge, and the Hickford family, who informally adopted Alli at the age of 13.

Alli is planning to sign a new contract at Tottenham without any other external advice, although his former agent, Rob Segal, will be due compensation as Alli remains under contract to his company, Impact Sports Management.

I thought similar, he looked more like himself against Bournemouth and I think the smiles, the funny handshakes, the social media shenanigans, it all plays a part and I've seen more of that in the last few weeks too. You can tell when he is himself, focussed, and knows this is a good place for him, and when there are other things going on in the background.

It really is all about focus, the Poch book is making that clear. So many examples of players thinking football is about anything else other than being consistent and concentrating on the pitch. Happily though there are now plenty of examples of young players taking the money and a move to a super-club too soon, and never really hitting the heights. The received wisdom seems to be more than if you want to be a bona-fide megastar, it's better to truly excel at a club like ours first, so that you aren't thrown in at too much of a deep end and flounder when you arrive.

If we get two more seasons out of Dele after this, we should happily let him go. If he's ready and he's given us great service, we should be proud. And he should know that if he works hard and truly improves to the point where he is a genuine world class talent, he will get that move. Unless he absolutely loves the fact that in the new stadium we are a super club ourselves, in which case let's make him a one club man.

A relatively good game from him today. I thought he started poorly, imo he was unaware of what was around him at times. Maybe expected given that he probably hasn't had possession in his own half since we signed him.

He got better as the game wore on, defended well, got his goal and pulled off some outrageous pieces of skill.

I note Dele gets a lot of criticism on here with the experts telling us his head has been turned and he has become too big for his boots but I think people forget he is still just 21 years old, even young Harry Winks is older than Dele. The fact is it is not unusual for young players to have ups and downs. As he matures I am sure he will become more consistent but he is still a class player and people should remember that

Back