1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Thanks, scara
    Dismiss Notice

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Discussion in 'Spurs News & Views' started by Howard Webb, 8 Feb 2012.

1. Bishop

Bishop Clive Wilson

I actually think the shortened window was to our benefit as it meant that if we only complete on the last day of the window no games would actually been played at that point.

A return to the old style window gives Levy too much rope to hang the coach from

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

Finney Is Back and Bedfordspurs like this.
  2. galeforce

galeforce Ralph Coates

You are not ever going to have just one player be responsible for that though, you have a depth chart to work through, you get options 2 and 3, who you already have, competent in the scheme in advance.

If you do end up with no option, due to injury or a late surprise sale, then you flex to a different scheme with different personnel, that you've also been preparing all summer long with what you have available.

This is the big leagues, if we don't have a deep playbook to work from, utilising all the tools in the squad, the manager isn't doing their job properly.

scaramanga likes this.
  3. scaramanga

scaramanga George Hunt Staff Member

Actually, overpaying for Sissoko and being unable to shift him the next couple of windows is a perfect example of why we shouldn't overpay.

We bought Sissoko for £30m just before the new tv deal sent prices crazy - that's £60m in today's money. We were never going to get that back for him - we'd have been lucky to have got half.

4. Bishop

Bishop Clive Wilson

No we just should have never bought him on the first place, but I agree getting a decent fee for him will be a struggle.

5. scaramanga

You're right, we shouldn't. But there will always be mistakes, bad fits, etc in something as uncertain as player purchases. That's why buying a player for their value and no more is so important.

If we'd bought Sissoko for his actual value - £10-15m, then we probably could have sold him at a small loss (inflation adjusted).

6. Finney Is Back

Finney Is Back Michael Carrick

I wonder whether Liverpool would've bought VVD and Alison if looking at value only though.

7. scaramanga

Of course - they just assign a different value to each player.

8. Bishop

Bishop Clive Wilson

What they perceive as value is quite different to what what we do.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2019
  9. Finney Is Back

Debt pay off is still owner investment. I would be absolutely delighted if our owners paid off even half of our debt.

I maintain that our owners are quite unique in that they have increased their own net worth considerably through owning Spurs (I would estimate a minimum of £1 billion between the pair of them) yet put barely none of their own wealth in to try to improve the standing of the club. For example, we know that money has been quite tight over the last few years as Levy directed a stadium build that went (and I speculate here as he was always very clever in not putting out any figures) £200 million plus over budget. Had the owners put in some of their own money in this period then we could've stayed competitive in the transfer market and perhaps won a few trophies during that period.

MKSpur and Bishop like this.
  10. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Paul Stewart

I’d agree but if was part of the acquisition cost in this case so IMo shouldn’t be in the numbers

11. Finney Is Back

I don't think it was part of the acquisition cost though? I think that Liverpool's debt was to the Bank's and one in particular (I think HSBC?) who had called in the loan. The new owners could easily have restructured the debt with the same Bank on better terms of HSBC, paid off that debt by taking on debt from other Banks or even paid the debt off with their own money via giving the club loans. They didn't do this however. They simply injected the money as shareholder funds to clear the debt. Them doing this showed that their overarching ambition for Liverpool was for it to be competing for the big trophies again and increasing the value of their holding that way.

MKSpur and Bishop like this.
  12. Bedfordspurs

Bedfordspurs Paul Stewart

I read at the time they had to pay of the debt when buying the club a the loan was called in against previous owners

Cant argue its not investment but its part of the cost of buying that club.

13. Raziel

Raziel Nick Barmby

Liverpool is different, twice in the last decade (too lazy to go dig it up) they were in a really bad place financially and it was cleared via sell/purchasing, my understanding specific to the last buy out is the previous owner got fudged (received far less than they should) with the debt being covered.

I think people are minimizing the understanding of how the fact that ENIC stands behind the club affects our ability to finance loans, to get better interest rates and even approvals. To put that down to club self financing is more than a little misleading.

14. thfcsteff

thfcsteff Paul Stewart Staff Member

We will have to agree to disagree then. Remember what he asked for though...

15. thfcsteff

Except Poch didn’t ask for him, he was a Levy deal.

braineclipse likes this.
  16. scaramanga

That doesn't really change the point. Overpaying is the problem

17. Yermiyahu

Yermiyahu Sebastien Bassong

And we know this how?

18. scaramanga

Because he was the first to step back shouting "wasn't me, not my fault" when Sissoko started stinking up the place is my guess.

19. thfcsteff

There is little doubt he was an "option" on a list of "targets" but trust me, he was not Pochettino's first choice in that dept by a long way.

20. Hootnow

Hootnow Mauricio Taricco

You're not quite getting what I'm saying.

I am not telling you to go and support another club. I know the risk of asset stripping is there for every club. I know that Levy and Lewis can theoretically do it tomorrow and wrap up the club.

What I am slightly confused by is a) your passion for something that objectively makes no sense and b) how this fits in with how matter of factly you talk about the owners asset stripping and wrapping things up if they so choose.