• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Daniel Levy - Chairman

Got his original targets

From the day before the final

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...l-levy-says-mauricio-pochettino-a4156216.html

"transfer targets include Giovani Lo Celso of Real Betis, Lyon's Tanguy Ndombele, Leeds' Jack Clarke and Fulham's Ryan and Steven Sessegnon."

Agreed.

Poch got three out his four wanted players and we didn't get second-listers. Dybala was always going to be very difficult and sadly it failed (not for the lack of desire between the clubs or even the player). The lesson of that (non)deal for players from abroad is to avoid the minefield of third-party rights. Effectively, Dybala has become somewhat of a slave to that contract. The lack of compromise from said-third-party agent tells me that they are happier to see him punted off elsewhere in Italy or to PSG (where I think he will end up if Neymar goes). Unless the player really digs his heels in, but that is a massive ask. But I doubt he is a happy player right now. And in fairness, we will be fine without him (albeit the potions with him were tantalizing).

I'll say again - if Eriksen stays, it's been a solid window, even without Dybala. Strength in depth, good midfield additions, a real shot at something big this season.7 on 10. Dybala would have pushed it much higher imo, but them's the breaks when you let things run to deadline day.

If Eriksen leaves, it's been a middling window, because we haven't really strengthened - we've replaced pivotal players (Dembele, Eriksen) with good replacements (NDombele, Lo Celso), but where have we added depth? And if Eriksen leaves, our net spend will likely go back to barely above zero too - bit of a letdown after literally getting to the biggest game in club football and falling just short.

If Eriksen stays and signs a new contract, it will have been an excellent window, imo. All up to him now.

And if Eriksen leaves, our net spend will likely go back to barely above zero too - bit of a letdown after literally getting to the biggest game in club football and falling just short.
In which case Levy would need to get around £75m for Eriksen. Can only see that happening if he goes to RM.

Window to date according to transfermarkt.com:

IN: Ndombele £54.4m + Lo Celso loan £14.9m + Sessegnon £24.3m + Clark £9.9m = £102.6m.
OUT: Trippier £19.8m + Janssen £8.1m = £27.9m

Balance (-74.5m)

Except in theory at least we could yet see the departure abroad of Alderweireld c£40m + Rose c£20m + Wanyama c£10m = c£70m.

Highly unlikely of course but all of that + Eriksen to RM and Levy banks a net gain this window of + £70m.

Ha!

I assume Lo Celso was a loan so we could afford to buy Dybala outright if we could reach an agreement. With Dybala not happening I wonder if Lo Celso will be made permanent in January rather than next summer now.

I assume Lo Celso was a loan so we could afford to buy Dybala outright if we could reach an agreement. With Dybala not happening I wonder if Lo Celso will be made permanent in January rather than next summer now.

That was more about shafting PSG out of their sell on clause and making the numbers work for us and Betis

Very Solid window; the sort we should really have been able to do last year, but as we now know the stadium situation (and Poch's policy of taking only his preferred number 1 or number 2 targets) put paid to that.
If we end up selling Eriksen, however......

Probably solidifies us in third at best though. Is Levty now in a position to lay the gauntlet down to Poch and say "where's that trophy now Mo?"
Hmm, time will tell (and likely Poch's press conferences, where he seems less able to play his poker face...)

Let's hope for a solid start and a good CL draw.

That was more about shafting PSG out of their sell on clause and making the numbers work for us and Betis

Ok right, makes sense. I guess we also write the £15m Loan fee off in the years accounts. Then the £40m from next summer will be over what I’d guess to be a 5 year deal. So £8m a year for amortisation on the books rather than £11m or so.

Ok right, makes sense. I guess we also write the £15m Loan fee off in the years accounts. Then the £40m from next summer will be over what I’d guess to be a 5 year deal. So £8m a year for amortisation on the books rather than £11m or so.

From our POV? I really dont know. Much would depend on what is being paid and when etc as well I would imagine?

From Betis - the "Sale" element is the €40m, not the €40m+€16m which eats into the balance enough to really cut down PSGs cut.

Was as I read it, at least.

That article repeated Levynomics so many times it was hard to read it without a feeling of spite.

Although we’ll never know the full story I think Toby’s case was he always had the release clause putting him in an unusual position of strength vs Levy. Even then to get the deal done it for the 11m he cost it was worth it. Time will tell if his strategy of turning down a new deal was to get an even bigger payrise or have the ability to choose his next club without them having the challenge or expense of dealing with Levy.
Eriksen I think is an example of Levy allowing the playing side to take priority over the financial side. This was only due to the new stadium constraints and Eriksens contribution to CL qualification and cup run, team harmony and consistency during the Wembley era would offset the lost ‘fee’ that we may age realised for him when he still had over 2 years left. It may have been a personal concession to Poch for Levy to back him when we didn’t have a transfer budget to do so.
Jan is one I’m not sure about, I really wanted us to offer him a 3 year deal to secure his services as a senior pro, especially with Toby likely to depart. That could be due to an over 30 rule but I think we are well run enough to make an exception to a rule like that.
I’ll be glad when the European window has closed we can plan for the rest of this season at least without the distraction, it seems difficult to see a scenario where any of them sign new deals though so for those that remain at least we aren’t relying on their sale or final decision before we fund their replacements.

Not exactly saying much for the player and agent intellect levels, if it’s taken them around ten years to work out that letting your contract expires gives you more options at the end. (assuming someone wants you, and I can’t wait to see that option unfold somewhere one day!)
The Zaha complex...

It's just a puff piece to pander to the anti-Spurs mob.

Exactly!

Levy has been slated for putting money above all. If that was the case he would have sold Eriksen last year or the year before that when he started to resist contract extensions.

So when he put the money aspect aside to support Poch (no way would we have gotten out of the CL group without Eriksen) he is then slated again!!

There’s also a counter point to this argument, in that the artist acknowledges that the players have refused new contracts on increased terms and risked earning less until their contracts expire.

On that basis, surely they’ve Levyd themselves , saving Daniel millions through the term of their contracts in lieu of a lump sum up at the end instead.

Either way, the house wins!

Back