• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Champions League 2017/18 - Round of 16: Juventus

This...this is right up our alley. We play the CL runners-up, after playing (and beating) the reigning champions - the lads won't be complacent, but they'll also be confident after what happened against Madrid. We have a good record in Italy, and against Italian sides in the CL as a whole. We have Llorente to give us the inside scoop on the opposition - or whatever he can manage to give us, anyway. And we are not playing the invincible Juve of seasons past - they are stuttering domestically, and although they're still likely to end up as Serie A winners....we've beaten impending Serie A winners before in AC Milan (in 2010-2011). Then managed by one Massimiliano Allegri, to boot. :p So no reason we can't do it again.
Wonder if Italian TV will have the same guy commentating?
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...=Aij2zKlOiBg&usg=AOvVaw2VUn5g9YOHfqKJ3YF5NyRJ

I dreamt twice last week that we got Juve and won.

I also dreamt that I was stuck in a room in my house, that had turned into some sort of SAW hell-hole on a separate occasion.

Make of that what you will.

Tiziano Crudeli. I remember his commentary as clearly as the day I first heard it, right after that brilliant evening...

''Ooh, pericolo (danger, I think)....ah, pericolo (again, danger)....ooh, ooh, OOH...(incomprehensible Italian about the ball being played into the middle or something)...

"Gol del Tottenham...Gol del Tottenham...Gol del Tottenham.....Noooooooooooo....."

Ah, memories. :) What made it even better was that they couldn't even be bothered to pick our current logo for their program - they just googled it and went with our previous one because they knew that little about us until Crouch showed up and told them *exactly* who we were. :p

I think Crudeli supports AC Milan, though. So maybe, this time, he wouldn't be miffed if we do the same to Juve.

I dreamt twice last week that we got Juve and won.

I also dreamt that I was stuck in a room in my house, that had turned into some sort of SAW hell-hole on a separate occasion.

Make of that what you will.

I making of that that Chich has been sending you PMs

Very annoyed with this draw ! Why do we always get the toughest draw in Europe while other English clubs, especially ManU, get the easiest ones ?? There were 5 English clubs going into the CL/EuropaLeague knockout stage draw as group winners and guess what we are the only one who get the tough draw ! ManCity, ManU, Liverpool and even Arsenal in EL got shyte opponents.

Chelsea are the only other English team to get the tough draw but that is only because they didn't win their group. Chelsea would have got Shakhtar if they had won their group. In contrast, we got Juventus despite winning our group and would have faced PSG if we had finished second ! It seems as if the draw were fixed to make it harder for us.

We are either the unluckiest club in football history or there is a real conspiracy against us. Similiarly, ManU must be the luckiest club in football history or there are conspiracy to help them win the CL every season. They might as well change the Champions League name to ManU League and hand over the trophy to them every year !

I think we are capable of beating Juventus but will feel more confident if we have Alderweireld and Wanyama back by then. We have never met Juventus in Europe before but have won 1 and lost 1 in friendly matches. This match reminds me of our match against AC Milan in CL 2011. Remember, we beat AC Milan 1-0 away and drew 0-0 at home to progress. Since we are playing away first, we need to get at least a draw at Juventus to help us progress.

The holders in the Group Stage.
Last season's finalists in the Last 16

If we both progress, its Barcelona in the Last 8.

Tough draw, but not insurmountable. I think we will rise to the occasion. Winning the group and having the second leg at ‘home’(such that it is) is a huge advantage. It’s up to us to make it so.

Good draw, I'd rather play top teams in it and Juve will be a great test. Definitely a winnable tie if we play to our best.

The key will be to score away. Although I want to get rid of that ridiculous away goal rule. A goal is a goal.
An away goal could be huge for us.

A rule that encourages that thinking over bus parking approaches from the away team makes a lot of sense to me.

You mean like last year with CSKA, Monaco and Leverkusen, and then we had to face the mighty Genk in the EL. No wonder we couldn't cope.

We were poor in Europe last season but Monaco and Leverkusen are not really weak teams. Monaco went all the way to the semi finals before losing to Juventus last season. Leverkusen lost in Round of 16 to Athletico Madrid who then progressed to the semi final. Remember we would have faced Athletico if we had finished ahead of Leverkusen. It was annoying to lose to Gent but there were many weaker teams we could have got in EL last season.

We were poor in Europe last season but Monaco and Leverkusen are not really weak teams. Monaco went all the way to the semi finals before losing to Juventus last season. Leverkusen lost in Round of 16 to Athletico Madrid who then progressed to the semi final. Remember we would have faced Athletico if we had finished ahead of Leverkusen. It was annoying to lose to Gent but there were many weaker teams we could have got in EL last season.

Bang on the money
People judge teams on reputation rather than actual results a lot

Besiktas this season have been brilliant in Europe yet are considered weak as they don’t have a legacy ... no one will relish going there to play them

Bang on the money
People judge teams on reputation rather than actual results a lot

Besiktas this season have been brilliant in Europe yet are considered weak as they don’t have a legacy ... no one will relish going there to play them
But no one can claim that we got a particularly difficult draw last year. That was the point!

But no one can claim that we got a particularly difficult draw last year. That was the point!

Before the draw no I agree

But once you see the teams play and recognise the quality people should have adjusted their opinions

Don’t get me wrong we should have got through but it wasn’t as easy as people thought IMO

Before the draw no I agree

But once you see the teams play and recognise the quality people should have adjusted their opinions

Don’t get me wrong we should have got through but it wasn’t as easy as people thought IMO

Monaco was much tougher than anticipated, they took everyone by surprise with their best team in years.

Leverkusen IIRC finished in the bottom half of the Bundesliga last season. The home game against them was the one that really cost us.

Back