• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Car parts

Ok, I'll do my best, just remember it was a few years ago and my car was a Caterham 7 with adjustable suspension and slick tyres

Bruxelles, we used to brake heavy and late into this, use as much of the curb as you can (careful though, go too far and nasty things happen) to straighten the corner and trail brake looking to hit a late, late apex, its important to exit mid track and not run all the way to the curb as you need to have the car settled on the right for entry into the left hander as it can cost you a lot of time on the next straight if your entry is compromised.
I always used to feel that I could have taken this corner faster but always messed up when I tried as its so easy to carry way too much speed into the corner and understeer out onto the runoff area (or worse if you have a light car with nasty lift-off snap oversteer :oops: )
If you are having no luck with trail braking then try braking a bit earlier to get you speed down turn in and coast to just before the apex and then get on the power early so you drive at and through the apex, its hard to tell at what points to do this you have to feel what the front tyres are doing.
Also make sure most of your braking is done before you get on the entry curb, your braking shouldn't be finished but you should just be coming of the brakes (or holding a trailing brake) as you are on the curb

Blanchimont, A few assumptions here
1. I assume you mean flat on exit not entry
2. You are not riding the curb at the apex of the corner, this will push you off line as you exit the corner.
3. The car is not the limiting factor, as in it doesn't have the capability to exit the corner flat as the engine outperforms the suspension.
If not any of the above then from what I remember problems here are usually down to the line you take into the corner (as you want to be releasing the steering not putting more on as you pass the apex and line yourself up for the exit) as there wasn't any reference apex point to aim for, so you get people taking the different lines aiming for different apexes.
I seem to remember that we used to take liberties with the curbs on entry (but go too far and the car will feel likes its being bragged off the circuit) pick an apex and aim for it, as i said don't touch the curb at the apex and open up the steering and drive for your exit point which in our case was about 10 meters before the curbs run out on the right and use all of this curb.
Also worth noting as this is a high speed corner make sure steering, acceleration and brake inputs are really smooth and minimal, also don't try and carry to much speed into the corner as you will overload the front tyres so get you entry speed set early and the just steer in and accelerate out

All of the above only applies if its dry, any wet stuff and keep clear of the curbs, not sure about now, but they used to be as slippery as a slippery thing, also watch out for the F1 ripples in the heavy braking and traction zones it can cause the car to get squirrelly.

Hope it helps, the event organisers normally lay on a couple of pro drivers, use them for advice etc, they love talking about this stuff. oh also if we did a multi-day event we always just used the first day to learn the circuit and set the car and ourselves up, day 2 was about going fast and having fun.

Ok, I'll do my best, just remember it was a few years ago and my car was a Caterham 7 with adjustable suspension and slick tyres

Bruxelles, we used to brake heavy and late into this, use as much of the curb as you can (careful though, go too far and nasty things happen) to straighten the corner and trail brake looking to hit a late, late apex, its important to exit mid track and not run all the way to the curb as you need to have the car settled on the right for entry into the left hander as it can cost you a lot of time on the next straight if your entry is compromised.
I always used to feel that I could have taken this corner faster but always messed up when I tried as its so easy to carry way too much speed into the corner and understeer out onto the runoff area (or worse if you have a light car with nasty lift-off snap oversteer :oops: )
If you are having no luck with trail braking then try braking a bit earlier to get you speed down turn in and coast to just before the apex and then get on the power early so you drive at and through the apex, its hard to tell at what points to do this you have to feel what the front tyres are doing.
Also make sure most of your braking is done before you get on the entry curb, your braking shouldn't be finished but you should just be coming of the brakes (or holding a trailing brake) as you are on the curb

Blanchimont, A few assumptions here
1. I assume you mean flat on exit not entry
2. You are not riding the curb at the apex of the corner, this will push you off line as you exit the corner.
3. The car is not the limiting factor, as in it doesn't have the capability to exit the corner flat as the engine outperforms the suspension.
If not any of the above then from what I remember problems here are usually down to the line you take into the corner (as you want to be releasing the steering not putting more on as you pass the apex and line yourself up for the exit) as there wasn't any reference apex point to aim for, so you get people taking the different lines aiming for different apexes.
I seem to remember that we used to take liberties with the curbs on entry (but go too far and the car will feel likes its being bragged off the circuit) pick an apex and aim for it, as i said don't touch the curb at the apex and open up the steering and drive for your exit point which in our case was about 10 meters before the curbs run out on the right and use all of this curb.
Also worth noting as this is a high speed corner make sure steering, acceleration and brake inputs are really smooth and minimal, also don't try and carry to much speed into the corner as you will overload the front tyres so get you entry speed set early and the just steer in and accelerate out

All of the above only applies if its dry, any wet stuff and keep clear of the curbs, not sure about now, but they used to be as slippery as a slippery thing, also watch out for the F1 ripples in the heavy braking and traction zones it can cause the car to get squirrelly.

Hope it helps, the event organisers normally lay on a couple of pro drivers, use them for advice etc, they love talking about this stuff. oh also if we did a multi-day event we always just used the first day to learn the circuit and set the car and ourselves up, day 2 was about going fast and having fun.
That's excellent, thanks.

Coasting into Bruxelles is exactly what I'm doing - the fastest way I've found in a sim. It'll be a little different for me as I believe 7s are fairly light at the back - heavy, late, downhill braking usually means I'm looking back up the hill and wearing my brown overalls.

I think I am taking inside kerb on Blanchimont - I'll keep that in mind and see if that's pushing me out for the 2nd apex.

Thanks again.

I pinged my mate who I used to go with a message about this (he was the better driver) and he said to google Driver61

He also said we should buy another track car but then my wife threatened me with divorce. So Win-Win :D

I pinged my mate who I used to go with a message about this (he was the better driver) and he said to google Driver61

He also said we should buy another track car but then my wife threatened me with divorce. So Win-Win :D
Driver61 was a great tip, thanks.

Picked the car up yesterday from getting new discs, racing pads, high boil brake fluid, service and a bit of a tune, only to be informed that I've got a split inlet hose! Typically, it's a factory request part and nobody in Italy seems too fussed about making one before September!

Patched it with silicone tape to get me home but now it sounds like a ghost farting. Have to put a proper repair on it tomorrow night and then find somewhere to run it flat out to make sure it holds. If that fails I think I'll need to get a tuning house to custom build me one in a hurry.

I'm also feeling the itch for a track car. I've always had a soft spot for MR2 roadsters as it's the car I learned to corner properly in. Never had anything else that handled as naturally as that (and that includes BMW's M division). Thinking about it made me realise I could have bought one made nearly track ready for what I've spent on prepping mine.

I'm not quite so lucky. The wife wants to ride around Spa with me and I'm trying to find a polite way of pointing out that even her small frame will adversely effect the weight of the car

Damn that unfortunate, try amalgamated tape as a temp fix but also try Scudaria Car Parts, Roose Motorsport or failing that Samco will make you one if they don't have a patterned part.

Get yourself a track car and then wonder where all your spare time has gone :)
I'll just leave these here......
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/91081/toyota-mr2-mk3-roadster
https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Details/97758/ginetta-g20
Scuderia and eurospares are my usual destinations. They (and main dealer) don't carry them and have to wait until September for them. Apparently not helped by a summer shut down in Italy. I'll be taking the hose off tonight to patch it (RAC friend has some pretty strong stuff apparently) and I'll measure up for Samco to make one. None of the usual suspects have the part on their list. Roose is a good call, they seem to have a better choice of universal fittings.

Have you ever driven a G20? My only experience of them is as a spectator, and they've always looked a little wooly in the corners. Even tracked they look like they're a little loose under weight transfer

Have you ever driven a G20? My only experience of them is as a spectator, and they've always looked a little wooly in the corners. Even tracked they look like they're a little loose under weight transfer

You sound like my mate, he was the driver, I always used to enjoy the engineering part and making a crap handling car work properly, but yes they certainly look a handful.

Fixed it with Q-Bond in the end. Wrapped it with silicone tape and then some cloth tape so it doesn't pull.

Working well under boost pressure so far, still might get a pipe from Samco though.

First session went well, haven't stacked it yet. Did have my brown overalls on for a bit over the top of Eau Rouge testing how late I could brake.

This place is fudging amazing though - anyone who hasn't been but loves cars has to give it a go.

PhotoEditor_20190806_124845156.jpg

:cool::D:cool:

Hows your brakes and tyres holding up?
Took an instructor for the morning session and he had me out for about 40 mins straight. Brakes got very deep but he didn't seem interested!

Down to 2 hot laps at a time now as I have to get her home safely. Nearly through a front set of yellowstuff already.

Definitely getting a track car soon. Not a GT3 though, so fudging fed up of seeing them! Lesson of the day, don't try and corner in a Corvette, they're fudging woeful.

Rain's about to come in, should make it exciting

So the rain was fun......

I knew it could come in at different rates around the track, bit I didn't know quite how much difference that made. Had a very, very close call around Pouhon, thought I'd sussed out the grip and then the same happened again at the first Blanchimont. Fortunately the wife couldn't see my face from the passenger seat.

@NoLimits01 - if you drive Spa again, this might be of use to you. Speaking to everyone who runs the track day there, they told me the fast way around Bruxelles is not to try to apex it at all. Apparently the corner is so long and the following straight so short (and with the need to get to the right so early) that you're best not compromising your speed in. Try to carry as much speed into the corner as you can and just let it bleed off until you're able to get back to the right for the next turn. Of course that changes is you're running huge aero, bit anything short of a Radical and apparently it's the best way.

Good to know you got back in one piece and you experienced the famous Spa weather[emoji106][emoji106]

That just goes to show how much I know [emoji3]. I have always tried to hit the apex, both in cars and on bikes and have always been slightly frustrated as a result, now I know why.

I expect to see a new thread soon entitled ‘What track car should I buy’

Thanks. I will be getting one, but there is a dilemma. The maximum towing weight of my car is 0. The number of points to attach a tow bar are, apparently, 0.

This leaves me with the choice of getting a track car that can run on the road (but I've always wanted a proper front splitter) or replacing my car with something grown up (I'm not a grown up yet). I won't be tracking mine again, she's far too heavy, and those behind me were telling about the clouds of brake at some of the corners.

Back