• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

....and the problem is....

The problem is obviously our opponents take a different approach at WHL vs. at their ground, hence we need to do similar, change the approach.

Personally tempo is our big issue, sometimes we play too slowly, and don't commit enough to attack (something we did better yesterday), move/play quicker, get supporting players into the box, get the ball behind the opposition defense and you will score.

I think it's two fold. Under AVB we played at home like we were the away team, trying to strangle the life out of the game and quieten the crowd before carefully picking them off when they over commited. This works nicely when away from home but at our ground the other team are happy to pick us off, they want the crowd to go quiet and it does because the football is so bad. AVB was too safety first and discouraged the team from hitting the opposition quickly. This may change under Sherwood, and once we get the first goal we can then pick the opposition off when they push for an equaliser.

As for the crowd itself. A lot of players probably don't pay attention but some of the younger ones likely can't deal with it. Even Walker came out last year on his Twitter feed and asked the fans for patience, citing he was still young and learning his trade. If the crowd start tutting and groaning at every missed pass then the players retreat into themselves, either playing the saftey first sideways ball or going backwards. If the fans get onside then the players will respond, but at the same time the players need to lift the fans. It's a vicious cycle

Well we don't seem to have a problem in the Euros. Different standard of opposition of course but could it also have something to do with the 1882 and the reduced percentage ST holders?

We need to make a wall of sound - and we just don't ! There's no atmos.

Also, it's not all about size, it's about what you do with it (so I've been told). What's interesting is that the slow deliberate build up play AVB expounded didn't exactly work against wet spam and liverpoo... neither did the team set up.

We have to adjust to how it plays out, sure start with a plan and try to get the initiative. Even if it goes pear shaped, it's up to the manager to gee the players. BUT it's also about the players - their desire and their mentality to take on responsibility. I didn't really see that under AvB. It's interesting what Bale said about difference between Spurs and Madrid, but not surprising.

I think we will see a much better atmosphere on Thursday in response to a team that appears to be playing 'our way' again

Well we don't seem to have a problem in the Euros. Different standard of opposition of course but could it also have something to do with the 1882 and the reduced percentage ST holders?

I think the reduction in ST holders is a factor for reasons i stated before.
But they are also midweek games so people are wanting to let off some steam in very little time, they are evening games so people may have had a chance to drink.

There is a different pressure , the Europa is a bonus to most people where as the premier league obsession with "top four" makes the league frankly stressful at times .

And we tend to score earlier I think (don't have the stats to back this up) because the opposition aren't PL quality, alleviating that pressure.

Back