• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Liverpool - match ratings

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
milo submitted a new blog post

Liverpool - match ratings

Scores on the doors for Liverpool away

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very odd game, and a massive interesting comparison in styles

- Pool plays a brickload of long diagonal/cross field balls with pacey runners attacking it, so 1980's style English football
- We play much shorter, tight passing. There is actually a point (highlighted on my feed) early in game when Dier plays an upfield ball, and Poch shouts at him "Eric, no longs balls, no long balls" so far from the Dawson era

Couple of influencers
- Pool's pitch was barely championship quality, wtf?
- The ref was poor, and the fudging linesman on one side gave everything to Pool

after being badly outplayed earlier in the season, it was a very different game, Pool absolutely played like the away side, we owned the midfield a lot.

Kane continues, although he had a few miss-controls (pitch maybe?)
Lamela actually is starting to look better
Mason/Bentaleb had a more off day (it was going to happen)

Anyone who has a go at Hugo needs to hang their fudging head in shame and be shown the door

Lloris - 6
Walker - 6
Dier - 6
Vertonghen - 6
Rose - 4
Bentaleb - 4
Mason - 5
Lamela - 6
Dembele - 8
Eriksen - 6
Kane - 8

Paulinho - 6
Chadli - 5

People criticising Mason, I think that we really missed him went he came off and it allowed Liverpool to press forward a lot more easily.

Lloris - 6
Walker - 6
Dier - 6
Vertonghen - 6
Rose - 4
Bentaleb - 4
Mason - 5
Lamela - 6
Dembele - 8
Eriksen - 6
Kane - 8

Paulinho - 6
Chadli - 5

Are those really the match ratings of a team playing away from home at Anfield, in a very entertaining game, that we were right in until the end?

Lloris 6
Walker 6
Dier 7
Vertonghen 6
Rose 5

Mason 6
Bentaleb 6
Dembele 7
Eriksen 6
Lamela 6

Kane 7

Poch 5

Onwards and upwards. Priorites are still the league and the cup final in a few weeks.

Are those really the match ratings of a team playing away from home at Anfield, in a very entertaining game, that we were right in until the end?
What do you disagree with in particular? I gave a few players the benefit of the doubt in my ratings.

lloris - 5

walker - 6
dier - 6
vertonghen - 6
rose - 4

lamela - 7
mason - 6
bentaleb - 6
eriksen - 5

dembele - 7
kane - 7

People criticising Mason, I think that we really missed him went he came off and it allowed Liverpool to press forward a lot more easily.

The pace dropped off the game and the whole momentum shifted at that point. Exactly the same as when he got moved from CM to AM against Sheffield U

Entertaining because both teams went for it and the defending was poor, not because either team played particularly well.

Lloris - 6 - The guy bails us out often enough, but that first goal was poor by his standards. Good saves at other times though.

Walker - 7 - Did well and his side of the pitch looked locked up most of the game.
Dier - 7 - Not sure I can give MOTM to a defender when we concede 3 goals, but he was good on the ball and coped well with Sturridge. He was dominant in the air and got in a few blocks.
Vertonghen - 6 - Assured but again, we conceded 3 goals so can't mark that highly.
Rose - 4 - Might seem harsh to some, but he was very poor. He never coped with Ibe and Liverpool looked to exploit that often. His positioning was hap hazard and he never took control of situations. One moment stood out in particular when Markovic cut right inside with neither he nor Mason taking responsibilty and both deciding to track the overlap allowing Markovic to waltz towards the area and have a crack on goal. Some good forward runs, but some very confusing ones too. Gave away the penalty as well.

Bentaleb - 5 - Looked off the pace for much of the night and some very sloppy passing early on which nearly cost us.
Mason - 4 - His passing was very good tonight, but he didn't cope well with their attack and takes a lot of the blame along with Rose for how weak the left hand side of our pitch looked.

Lamela - 7 - Great assist and almost had a goal. Worked very hard defensively and pressed right up until the last minute.
Dembele - 6 - Started really well, but faded and was guilty of slowing play down.
Eriksen - 6 - Not much came off for him tonight. Showed good variance to his play and held the width but did look tired and it wasn't suprising he got subbed. Didn't look happy about it mind.

Kane - 7 - Got a goal and an assist, but other than that had a fairly anonymous night. Was one who looked tired.

Subs:
Paulinho - 6 - Pussied out of the first 50/50 to come his way, but did shore things up thereafter.
Chadli - 5 - Didn't look up for it, couldn't get into the game and was partly responsible for their winner.
Soldado - n/a

Poch - 6 - Think tonight we needed some rotation of personel, with the midfield looking tired and stretched.

Entertaining because both teams went for it and the defending was poor, not because either team played particularly well.

It was certainly toe to toe and lacked shape at times but I am not sure what people think that we could or should have done about this. I thought that we were the better team until Mason came off and then Liverpool were able to push forward a lot more but it could be coincidence that these happened at around the same time.

I think that your scores for Rose, Bentaleb and Mason are a little harsh and Dembele a little generous
Rose gave away a completely unnecessary penalty, and defended poorly (albeit in companionship with Bentaleb and Chadli) for the winner.

Bentaleb had a shocker, I thought. Gifted Liverpool a couple of opportunities in the first half, sloppy passing in general, was never in the game and see above.

Mason guilty of the same as Bentaleb in the first half, but got better in the second.

Dembele was the one player who managed to keep hold of the ball and establish plays for us in their half. Great touches, good dribbling, strong in possession. Scored a goal too.

It was certainly toe to toe and lacked shape at times but I am not sure what people think that we could or should have done about this. I thought that we were the better team until Mason came off and then Liverpool were able to push forward a lot more but it could be coincidence that these happened at around the same time.

I thought we would lose tonight, but I'm just more disappointed of how inevitable it was and how poorly we played. I think they were there for the taking and only 2 or 3 players played well for us.

As for Mason, I'm still a bit undecided on him. Granted he's young and full of passion, but he dives in a bit too much and I'm not overly sold on him.

Lloris was put off by the wayward defending ahead of him for the first goal that he should have saved. Defenders not going with runners, crossing over, and general defensive confusion. It was still a mistake. 5 is harsh but justified.

Walker. Looking to get forward more. Contributing a little more in attack now. He was the best part of a shaky defence 6.

Dier. Love his enthusiasm, top speed, and pulled out some last ditch saving tackles. But he has a lot to learn as a defender. He's often chasing the game rather than reading it effectively. Experience and confidence will see him improve. 6

Vertonghen - A harsh 5. It should be a 6, but as the senior defender he should be pulling his defence together. Marshalling them. Keeping them alert. Granted Pool were a tough team to defend against, and they didn't get much cover from midfield but he's too content sitting back. Dier is more of a leader but lacks the experience.

Rose - He had a tough game up against Ibe with a tired Eriksen not providing effective support. A number of rash challenges one giving a stupid pen. 5

Bentaleb - Yes he tried to assist pools attackers with at least one 'through ball' in the wrong direction! But he's still quality and a key player for us. 6

Mason - If we had a rotation option I think Mason would have benefited from a rest. Coming on around 60 minutes he would have oozed class. He still came out with a few nice passes. But most of the game he was off the pace for me. 5

Lamela - I can't decide if he'd offer more going forward if he wasn't running around wildly most of the game. But he was effective tonight. His snap shot was oh so close to a screamer of a goal. He's still not 100% settled but warrants a 7 for setting up Kane's goal and tracking back well.

Dembele - No one but no can retain the ball as well as him whilst moving so
slowly!
When he speeds up he's not as effective or controlled. But he sucks defenders in and spits them out. So glad Poch is using him as he has something. Like Verts he is too happy being in the background. Too happy to go down when free to run into their box. But both Dembele and Verts are key players who can grow in this team. 7

Eriksen - While an off game for him, he still probably warrants a 7. Even when tired he's able to think and pass quickly - its automatic for him. Somthing that was missing from the rest of the team today.

Kane - With Eriksen, he's our most important player and like Eriksen, even when not at his recent dizzy heights, still performed. Letting the ball run through his legs in build up to the goal was class. Some of his other runs were decent too. 7

Not a bad performance. We lacked a little something in midfield and defence. Key for me to the rest of the season: can Poch get into Soldado/ Chadli/ Ade/ Paulinho/ Stambouli/ Townsend and show faith in them and really get a couple of them playing well? If not, we'll have no competition for places, and a first 11 under massive pressures.

Last edited:
Back