• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

*** Tottenham Hotspur Vs West Brom *** *** OMT ***

Looking forward to this (although I have a full weekend of prep for new job on Monday). Expecting 3 points despite the bus parking that will occur. In fact, expecting 18 points across the next 6 games. Perfectly do-able. But will we?

Lloris
Dier Sanchez Vertonghen
Trippier Winks Dembele Davies
Eriksen Alli
Kane

You'd then expect Rose, Aurier, Son, Sissoko to come in against Leicester midweek. Although Son may play v West Brom too.

............Lloris .........

.......Dier ....Sanchez......Verts

Trippier.........Winks............Davies

.............Eriksen...Alli.............

.............Kane......Son..............

At home against an out of sorts West Brom , we need more fire power and less DMs.

4-0 Son 2 Kane 2

Our current rotation of full backs means that we either have 2 less pacey wing backs (Trippier, Davies) or 2 more pacey wing backs (Aurier, Rose) as alternatives. I would prefer to see one pacey and one less pacey wing back, so given that Rose probably needs more recovery time then I would include Aurier and Davies for the West Brom game and Trippier, Rose for Leicester.

At home against an out of sorts West Brom , we need more fire power and less DMs.

4-0 Son 2 Kane 2

Agree with that, and Dembele is always a question fitness-wise anyway. It wouldnt surprise me to see Sissoko play instead of Son in your formation above, but I completely agree that against weaker teams at home we should be trying to get more goal-scorers on the pitch, perhaps even going back to 4-2-3-1 (I guess in your team above you can easily move to that by Dier moving forwards)

4-0 Son 2 Kane 2
I'd like that team for sure.

Our current rotation of full backs means that we either have 2 less pacey wing backs (Trippier, Davies) or 2 more pacey wing backs (Aurier, Rose) as alternatives. I would prefer to see one pacey and one less pacey wing back, so given that Rose probably needs more recovery time then I would include Aurier and Davies for the West Brom game and Trippier, Rose for Leicester.
Think I'd rather keep Rose and Aurier for Leicester.....Gray and mahrez have looked a bit lively recently.

Agree with that, and Dembele is always a question fitness-wise anyway. It wouldnt surprise me to see Sissoko play instead of Son in your formation above, but I completely agree that against weaker teams at home we should be trying to get more goal-scorers on the pitch, perhaps even going back to 4-2-3-1 (I guess in your team above you can easily move to that by Dier moving forwards)
I think there could be something in going back to 4 2 3 1 against the park the bus teams.

As you say it will get Son on the pitch and those 3 behind Kane can also take a lot of the attention from the opposition defence leaving more space wide for tripps and Davies to deliver as the FB have to quite often focus on our other attackers. Dier can shuffle wide from CM if we get caught out with too many forward.

I think there could be something in going back to 4 2 3 1 against the park the bus teams.

As you say it will get Son on the pitch and those 3 behind Kane can also take a lot of the attention from the opposition defence leaving more space wide for tripps and Davies to deliver as the FB have to quite often focus on our other attackers. Dier can shuffle wide from CM if we get caught out with too many forward.

My main thought was that Man C often have 3 forwards (say Jesus, Aguero, Sterline) on the pitch along with two very attacking midfielders in de Bruyne and Silva. So thats 5 goal threats. Even Liverpool play 3 forwards and then often play Coutinho in midfield as well as Wijnaldum or someone else who supports the forwards. In our 3-5-2 formation we, at best, would have 4 goal threats, sometimes just 3 if its something like Winks and Dier in midfield. I know football isnt as simple as this however sometimes when we're struggling to beat a lower league team, I look at our line-up playing 3-5-2 and think we have very few players on the pitch who threaten the box/goal. I think its an even stronger argument when some of these teams play 1 up top and we have 3 centre-halves

My main thought was that Man C often have 3 forwards (say Jesus, Aguero, Sterline) on the pitch along with two very attacking midfielders in de Bruyne and Silva. So thats 5 goal threats. Even Liverpool play 3 forwards and then often play Coutinho in midfield as well as Wijnaldum or someone else who supports the forwards. In our 3-5-2 formation we, at best, would have 4 goal threats, sometimes just 3 if its something like Winks and Dier in midfield. I know football isnt as simple as this however sometimes when we're struggling to beat a lower league team, I look at our line-up playing 3-5-2 and think we have very few players on the pitch who threaten the box/goal. I think its an even stronger argument when some of these teams play 1 up top and we have 3 centre-halves
Winks as the deepest midfielder goes a long way towards fixing that imo.

My worry with 4231 against park the bus sides is that we struggled with that line up previously when we used it regularly and it was the switch to 3421 and giving Rose and Walker more licence to attack the wings which saw us regularly dispatch these sides - having to keep tabs on both flanks makes it harder to stifle the central players, imv which I think we lose in a 4231

Not much difference between attacking in a 4231 where the defensive midfielder (Dier) drops deep to join the central defenders as the full backs push up and 352/343 with Winks as the deepest midfielder. Either way 3 players are left at the back most of the time with a midfielder ahead of them. One of the three can push up when appropriate either way.

A back 3, a defensive midfielder partnered with a not very creative player like Dembele can make us somewhat unbalanced though. And the lack of passing tempo centrally can be unfortunate.

My worry with 4231 against park the bus sides is that we struggled with that line up previously when we used it regularly and it was the switch to 3421 and giving Rose and Walker more licence to attack the wings which saw us regularly dispatch these sides - having to keep tabs on both flanks makes it harder to stifle the central players, imv which I think we lose in a 4231

Yep, pros and cons with both. I think we've matured a lot since we used 4-2-3-1 regularly (early part of last season) so perhaps things might be different now. I'm less hung-up about the formation, more just we sometimes have very few players that threaten the box compared to other top teams. How about:

----------------------x-------------------

----x----------x-----------x-----------x-----

----Dele-----Winks/Dier------Eriksen

----Lamela-------Kane---------Son--

If you think about Man C, then in the above formation Eriksen is their Silva, and Dele is their de Bruyne so it might work. Similarly, Liverpool play with Coutinho where the above formation has Eriksen, and Wijnaldum where I have Dele above

Back