• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

This approach from Aurier probably won us the game against Dortmund. In that game we were pretty timid and sat behind the ball for long periods of the first half, turning over possession on the rare occasions we did win it back. In the 2nd half Aurier was very aggressive in leaving his position to put pressure higher up the pitch, mainly on their LB, to prevent them building higher up the pitch. This was a risky strategy but because we were organised behind him it resulted in Dortmund often surrendering possession cheaply as our DMs and CBs were on the front foot and anticipating the forward passes that came from Dortmund's LB. As a result we had a number of counter-attacks based on winning the ball higher and also had a higher % of possession. I was at the ground with a very good view high up so you could see it was a clear tactic. His boldness actively encouraged our other players to play higher up the pitch.

Aurier has adopted a similar approach in the games since with mixed results. It could be because we've got more of the ball so when we turn it over we aren't in such a structured position as we were against Dortmund.

I think Poch will use it as a tactic - he is playing as a wing back and not a full back after all so he has every right to push higher up the pitch. His recoveries need to be better and he needs to make the right choices of when to press and when to sit (as you have said).

It could well take 6-9 months of playing Poch's system before we see consistent displays from him.

I've seen plenty of positives so far though.
I agree fully that there has been plenty of positives from him so far. And that he should be given time.

Yesterday though we were 1-0 up and wide open down the right. He needs to learn to adjust within our system to game conditions. Pochettino rightly got him off the pitch, but really it was just a coincidence that we hadn't been punished already.

Trippier helped us control that side and was directly involved in us getting the goals that secured the win for us. I'm primarily reacting to the idea that Aurier is currently doing better than Trippier.

To clarify my opinion. I'm perfectly happy with him pushing on when we have the ball. Just like I have with full backs in a back 4. But he leaves the back line when we're organized, when the opponents have the ball and when we're not using a high press. Leaving simple passes in behind him.

Saw elsewhere that someone thought Alderweireld had a poor game. He was left in a lot of very difficult situations because Aurier left his position, when we didn't have the ball.

Toby did have a poor game, by his amazing standards.
Can't blame all that on serge, losing his man at a corner is nothing to do with serge.

Tbh he's been a mixed bag, some very good some not so. His pace doesn't seem as good as we've seen on his highlight reel, hopefully it's just because he's missed some pre season.

To clarify my opinion. I'm perfectly happy with him pushing on when we have the ball. Just like I have with full backs in a back 4. But he leaves the back line when we're organized, when the opponents have the ball and when we're not using a high press. Leaving simple passes in behind him.

Saw elsewhere that someone thought Alderweireld had a poor game. He was left in a lot of very difficult situations because Aurier left his position, when we didn't have the ball.

Toby is playing on the right of the three this season, with Sanchez in the middle. Last season Toby played in the centre with Dier on the right of the three. He doesn't look as comfortable there nor seems to offer as much protection to his wingback on that side. He certainly improved yesterday when we went to a back four.

I think he has had some good moments and some bad moments. I love the fact that he gets really close to players, and gets right up them. When he is so tight with the other man it makes me all excited. I also love the fact that he goes in hard, and never pulls out. I also like the fact that he comes across his man quickly when putting in a cross. The fact he got sent off was one of his bad moments.

I think he has had some good moments and some bad moments. I love the fact that he gets really close to players, and gets right up them. When he is so tight with the other man it makes me all excited. I also love the fact that he goes in hard, and never pulls out. I also like the fact that he comes across his man quickly when putting in a cross. The fact he got sent off was one of his bad moments.

We're talking about football here, right?

It might just be as simple as Aurier getting a bit fitter and sharper, so he can recover his position more easily.

Surely a well thrown pillow could outpace those two!

Ha. :p Let's be fair, though, Sissoko is pretty damn quick when he gets up to steam - he just rarely has the chance to show how fast he can be, because he usually loses the ball or plays a simple pass because of his lack of confidence.

Mistake him diving in, the reckless side to his game. Other than that moment, I thought he was solid. He just needs to learn not to brain fart so often.

Mistake him diving in, the reckless side to his game. Other than that moment, I thought he was solid. He just needs to learn not to brain fart so often.
I don't think it was that bad a decision.

When you look coldly at the position, the player, the situation, etc. not diving in meant a very high likelihood of scoring. As long as he wasn't putting himself in the chances for a red card, diving in was probably the best choice to make - even with the world's best keeper in front of him.

I don't think it was that bad a decision.

When you look coldly at the position, the player, the situation, etc. not diving in meant a very high likelihood of scoring. As long as he wasn't putting himself in the chances for a red card, diving in was probably the best choice to make - even with the world's best keeper in front of him.
Except when you notice that Toby was stepping across and looked likely to block it...

Except when you notice that Toby was stepping across and looked likely to block it...

I like to bathe in custard.

Aurier seriously needs to spend time with Poch working on this. He's sliding in far to often and costing us with his mistakes. Absolutely no need to go to ground in that situation with Toby there. Otherwise he had a good game. He's almost a like for like signing with Walker.

Aurier seriously needs to spend time with Poch working on this. He's sliding in far to often and costing us with his mistakes. Absolutely no need to go to ground in that situation with Toby there. Otherwise he had a good game. He's almost a like for like signing with Walker.
I suppose he's young and will learn. He's been great - apart from the brain farts. And he didn't get sent off AND played well after the penalty.

Aurier and Sissoko are starting to show some good chemistry on the right. They're both a handful to battle against in close quarters and had some nice interchanges with the ball to open up runs down the right. And some saucy manouevres to beat men one on one.

Sorry but this criticism is well over the top. I was wondering when the hell someone was going to challenge Kroos, he was just waltzing towards goal - are you just meant to do nothing? He was in a seriously dangerous position and he went down to challenge BEFORE Kroos lost control. In a split second are you telling me he should have known he was going to have a poor touch and give the ball to Toby?! It is Kroos, I think not. If he hadn't of had that poor touch people would have said why did he just let him have a shot on goal. Aren't we a bunch of experts with hindsight, if only Aurier and co had such powers......

He probably should n to have gone to ground, only because it gave Kroos the chance to fall. What flabbergasts me is how on earth five officials all missed the stonewall on Llorente? Let's even just say there; lino, knobbhead ref and that dinkletwip behind the line.

Back