• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Politics, politics, politics

I always thought Patel ticked a lot of the boxes to become a future conservative leader, but the whole thing about employing her husband to work for her while he had other jobs smacked of really poor judgement. Shame because she is pro brexit I believe her father is even in UKIP and she has been tough on crime, remember reading her say we should build more prisons.

Over the last few years I have had down as someone who could be a future leader but she should be waiting to 2021 for a leadership bid when I would expect the tories to be in opposition.

She's young enough that she can leave it for ten or twenty years.

The only candidate I think has an interest in an early leadership challenge is Davies. He will be too old and his reputation trashed if it is left too long.
I think his chance left when Cameron beat him.

At the time I didn't like it but Cameron turned out to be decent overall, just a little unfriendly to business.

I think his chance left when Cameron beat him.

At the time I didn't like it but Cameron turned out to be decent overall, just a little unfriendly to business.

I understand that he is not very popular amongst other Conservative MPs. My only point was that time isn't on his side, so an early leadership election is probably his only chance.

She's young enough that she can leave it for ten or twenty years.

The only candidate I think has an interest in an early leadership challenge is Davies. He will be too old and his reputation trashed if it is left too long.

He's younger than Corbyn, Cable, Trump, Clinton and Saunders. This seems to be the age of the older political leaders for some reason. But he has said he sees finishing Brexit as his swansong/the culmination of his career and will retire after that. I think May is secure as caretaker till spring 2019 now.

He's younger than Corbyn, Cable, Trump, Clinton and Saunders. This seems to be the age of the older political leaders for some reason. But he has said he sees finishing Brexit as his swansong/the culmination of his career and will retire after that. I think May is secure as caretaker till spring 2019 now.

He's a year older than Corbyn. The point is, how old will he be at the next election and end of the next parliament. I think that he is unlikely to get chosen as leader unless May stands aside in the next year. He's not a contender post Brexit.

He might have said that but he has his supporters out canvassing for a leadership bid. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a lot of noise in the lead up to conference.

He'd be a disaster anyway. As Cummings memorably said

and Cummings speaks for Gove

Last edited:
What is the point of Brexit?
  • Sovereignty? Nope. ECJ will rule.
  • Prosperity? Free trade helps wealth. Brexit will reduce free trade with Europe and likely leave the UK less well off.
  • What are we left with? Controlling EU migrants. Tick.Yes. Something. Instead of EU migrants, we'll have to take in people from further afield to do the cleaning jobs, looking after the old and sick, the worst building jobs etc. Result?

The UK government is in limbo, nothing is being done as all departments wait on Brexit. Need to find some positives in this farce. Try to renegotiate our EU membership and enhance our existing membership terms, then move on! Make the UK more competitive, more export focused, invest in skills...while in the EU trading block. Take the aims of Brexit and put in a plan for the UK that can realise more opportunities for working Brits.

• Prosperity? Free trade helps wealth. Brexit will reduce free trade with Europe and likely leave the UK less well off.
  • What are we left with? Controlling EU migrants. Tick.Yes. Something. Instead of EU migrants, we'll have to take in people from further afield to do the cleaning jobs, looking after the old and sick, the worst building jobs etc. Result?

The UK government is in limbo, nothing is being done as all departments wait on Brexit. Need to find some positives in this farce. Try to renegotiate our EU membership and enhance our existing membership terms, then move on! Make the UK more competitive, more export focused, invest in skills...while in the EU trading block. Take the aims of Brexit and put in a plan for the UK that can realise more opportunities for working Brits.

Give us your plan....i'm interested?

What are we left with? Controlling EU migrants. Tick.Yes. Something. Instead of EU migrants, we'll have to take in people from further afield to do the cleaning jobs, looking after the old and sick, the worst building jobs etc. Result?

Or we could take a look at some of our existing policies and see if we can find a way of training more Doctors, nurses, carers, construction workers ourselves....possibly instead of encouraging droves of youngsters to go to university to study dog grooming, paper folding or other such interests.

The EU have already said the only way back in would be on full terms - Euro, Schengen and no rebates. We long ago exhausted attempts to get better terms, essentially because we are fundamentally out of sync with what we wanted it to become. The federalist and superstate future of the EU is unacceptable to nearly all Britons. The half-way-house resister role we've been playing for the last 25 years could never last.

Or we could take a look at some of our existing policies and see if we can find a way of training more Doctors, nurses, carers, construction workers ourselves....possibly instead of encouraging droves of youngsters to go to university to study dog grooming, paper folding or other such interests.

Freedom of movement/globalisation actively disincentivises the development of skills

Back