• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Free Podcasts

El Guepardo

Rafael Van Der Vaart
Which free podcasts can you recommend? I'm going on holiday on Thursday, so want to download some before I go. The holiday is going to include some serious driving time and so podcasts will come in useful.

There are a bunch of great podcasts (in my opinion at least).

You don't mention any of your interests and podcasts are sometimes a bit niche, so I've put some of my favourites on here and included a short description.

-The Skeptics' Guide to the Universe. A very good scientific/skeptic podcast reporting on news and other relevant stuff, some polite, but hard hitting responses to pseudo-science, some humour, some popular culture content. The podcast that got me into enjoying podcasts and one I've listened to regularly for years now. I think most people would end up learning something from this by listening regularly and becoming smarter people as a result.

-Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. A very interesting history show, fantastic content in my opinion if history interests you. Several of his shows would not be out of place as audiobooks or real books imo. He's very good at putting things into context and the show is very well researched. Some of the older shows aren't free any more, but if you're interested check out the shows on the roman empire or the khans, epic stuff. Both of those are still free.

-Dan Carlin's Common Sense. Also a very interesting show by the same guy, primarily on politics. A bit US-centric, but most of their big stories end up being global stories anyway. A bit outside the mainstream, he's not affiliated with either party and is fairly free spoken about his views and opinions.

-Answer Me This. A much lighter podcast, where the hosts answer questions about most things in a funny way. Easy listening, but sometimes informative, I find them quite funny at times at least. Shorter shows and short segments so won't take long to check out.

-Caustic Soda. If you like humour on topics that are a bit off colour you might enjoy this. They handle a new topic each episode including things like shark attacks, parasites and radiation (things that are caustic), but also more popular/typical topics like ninjas etc. The shows are a bit informative for sure, but primarily they try to be funny. The shows follow a standard formula and every segment might not be for everyone. They normally end with a bunch of nerdy comic book references/stories, not my cup of tea, but I really enjoy the rest of the shows.

-Cognitive Dissonance. An atheistic, skeptical, political podcast, also focused on humour. They bring up stories where religion, superstition and pseudo-science causes real harm and then they make it funny. Absolutely not for everyone, but if you're interested in those topics, but without looking for serious debate and politeness and you can handle their language and rather direct approach they're worth a listen to see if you find them funny too.

-WNYC's Radiolab. One of the best produced podcasts out there. They cover a range of serious topics from various angles, primarily by telling real world stories that I at least wonder why more people aren't telling. Some of the episodes are sad, some are funny, some are insightful, but overall there have been some fantastic shows from them. Not always easy listening, driving around, holiday content, but well worth a listen.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is brilliant. Get hold of the Genghis Khan episodes. Although, not sure if there still available to grab for free.

Joe Rogan pods are also great, but I guess it depends on the guest if you're particular about the topics of conversations.

Back