• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

O/T What's the biggest football story of all time?

Craig_J

Eidur Gudjohnsen
Fergie's retirment this week was a massive news story (I'm assuming that you didn't know this from all the front pages, TV news reports and articles online...) and it got me thinking that it's probably the biggest football story to emerge in my 19 year long life span. Certainly for me as I'm part of a generation that has never seen a Man U side that wasn't managed by Ferguson. It's probably even the biggest sports story overal to emerge in my life time, apart from the OJ Simpson case. So if you had to pick the biggest football story of all time what would it be? England winning the World CUp? Or does that not apply on the same global scale as this?

Bit hard to pin down a context. For me aged 15 Sheringham going to Utd was the biggest story, then sol spectacularly trumped that.

Wider, the wage cap coming off probably changed football forever. The back pass rule change, yellow cards, 3 points for a win.

I mean you might as well just read all of football history

I think it was a bigger story last time he announced his retirement (apart from him not going through with it). It was sort of expected this time.

Rsol, Klinsmann, Ardiles/Villa are big stories from our POV.

Graham getting caught, then sacked.

A lot of big transfers of course.

For me one that will always sit firmly in my memory is the whole France 98 a previously brutal team uniting a nation(or not so as benny and bassong said) but mostly the whole Ronaldo fever and still remmeber sitting watching pre match malarkey and reports coming in how Ronaldo was not playing then he was then he wasn't etc then France....wow

I'm 28. Have to say, the amount of coverage that Fergie's retirement is getting probably eclipses anything football wise in my lifetime. It was the lead story on every news bulletin on Wednesday morning. I was a bit too young to remember Hillsborough.

Of all time? Would have to say Munich aircrash. Just look at how many supporters and followers Manchester United got from the result of that tragedy.

One story that isn't mentioned much, over here anyway, the plane crash that killed almost the entire Torino football team in 1949

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superga_air_disaster

I remember Andy Cole to Man Utd being a big one.. I even remember I was in school in an exam hall when I heard it first..

Des Lynam going to ITV anybody?

But really, Hillsborough and the Egyptian slaughter from last year.

A distant second is the continuing corruption at FIFA.

Hillsborough, Munich air crash, Fergies retirement I not II

Zambian plane crash?

Bradford fire sticks as much in my memory as Hillsborough

It is to my eternal shame that I know very little about the Zambian plane crash, but there are a number of images of the Bradford fire and the Hillsborough disaster that are indelibly imprinted into my subconscious. Terrible events!

Back