• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

This for me too He never seemed to show up in the biggest games.

I somehow doubt if Poch had greenlit the sale, Levy would not have followed through. I just think others saw Eriksens inherent weakness in the biggest games, and wouldn't pay much for him,

Such an odd stick to beat him with as none of players seem to show up for big games.

He would have been sold him Mopo green lit it as well.

He is way off Hazard in my opinion. Real Madrid obviously thought so too.

I disagree, his stats are at least as good as Hazards during their time in the PL. The difference is that Hazard spent a spell as a false 9. Hazard was an speculative buy for Madrid, as Courtinho was for Barca (as Eriksen would have been), good players but not good enough to hold down a first team place. He'll be moved on in a year or two having made no impact.

I disagree, his stats are at least as good as Hazards during their time in the PL. The difference is that Hazard spent a spell as a false 9. Hazard was an speculative buy for Madrid, as Courtinho was for Barca (as Eriksen would have been), good players but not good enough to hold down a first team place. He'll be moved on in a year or two having made no impact.

Noone obviously rated Eriksen highly enough to make a bid. If Levy would have sold him in his prime he would have been pillioied as he was when he sold Bale, Modric, Berbatov and Keane. MoPo would have had to make it really clear that it was his (ie MoPo's) decision to sell him then.

Noone obviously rated Eriksen highly enough to make a bid. If Levy would have sold him in his prime he would have been pillioied as he was when he sold Bale, Modric, Berbatov and Keane. MoPo would have had to make it really clear that it was his (ie MoPo's) decision to sell him then.

We don't know whether there were any bids. We were right to sell Bale, Modric and Berbatov, as we would've been Eriksen for the right money. I think that Poch did make it clear that he wanted a clear out and rebuild, I'm sure that he would have supported it if he had been backed.

This is purely speculation but I think that Madrid probably made contact with him and encouraged him to say that he wanted a move but then never followed up on it.

Or no one came in with a bid.

It's a shame because he is at least as good as Courtinho and Hazard and if he'd left 18 months ago we'd rate him as one of our modern greats.
I think it's likely no one wanted to bother getting into the negotiation stance with Levy with the expectation that the fee would have been very high. We've since seen hints that 130m was the figure that was being asked for. He clearly wasn't worth that much to either of the Spanish giants. They have better existing players in the position he plays.

In hindsight 80m would have been a smart figure to take for him at the height of popularity. I do think this was a case of Levy's reputation preceding him.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Fapatalk

I think it's likely no one wanted to bother getting into the negotiation stance with Levy with the expectation that the fee would have been very high. We've since seen hints that 130m was the figure that was being asked for. He clearly wasn't worth that much to either of the Spanish giants. They have better existing players in the position he plays.

In hindsight 80m would have been a smart figure to take for him at the height of popularity. I do think this was a case of Levy's reputation preceding him.

I can understand why we might've taken Courtinho's fee as a benchmark. They are comparable players.

I can understand why we might've taken Courtinho's fee as a benchmark. They are comparable players.
They are but you also have to take into account the demand. There was that demand for Coutinho and not Eriksen. Coutinho also had I believe 4 more years on his contract whereas Eriksen only had the two and it appears had said he wasn't re-signing.

It's done now, just a shame we weren't a bit smarter with our squad management.

Think you prob nailed it

Some People just can’t be bother to deal with Levy.

He might not have shown up much in big games, but he helped earn us a few bob with his goal against Inter last season.

I'm going to miss the old Christian Eriksen. :(

I agree with most of that - we are so lucky that We have had the pleasure of watching him for the past years
€20m is a good price!
Levy is see once again being slagged off for doing his best for the club!

It doesn't matter. Both had our best intentions. People make mistakes, or it was the correct action at the time, but now looks bad. The only people that don't make mistakes are the hindsight police.

I think this is a very good point, and in this specific case I will always wonder if the principles involved thought they could convince him otherwise. What we will never know is whether Poch suggested we would not be able to and that we should sell him. And if that was the case, 100 million would've got him a move and us 100 mill, regardless of "losing X million in valuation", which seems to be moot because he was not considered worth that.

As for CE, a lovely player for sure, and a vital part of what we did with Poch. But the other side of that (IMO anyway) is that Poch made him the fulcrum point of all we did, a central figure, 'the man' if you will. And too many times, when we needed just a little more, he could not find it or simply did not have it like the very, very elite do. It wasn't just games as the LCF against Chelski, the semi against Man U or the CLF against Scouse, it was vital league games such as the 1-1 against West Brom or the 1-0 defeat at Bournemouth last season. In the last few seasons his set-piece delivery became virtually non-existent, and you could see him straining under the pressure not rising. I DON'T necessarily blame him -that is who he is- but it is the difference between being a true maestro a la Modric or even Rakatic (I know, different types of player but world beaters) and a really really good midfielder. It is such a shame. And I feel that a small piece of Poch's heart was broken by the whole thing. I know a small piece of mine was broken in June, on the very biggest stage, when I really thought he would finally show the world he was THE man who could produce THE performance. And as semi-shameful as it is, I must admit I have never fully forgiven him for it. But of course I thank him for all the great things he dd do as well...just with that talent, it should've been more.

We don't know whether there were any bids. We were right to sell Bale, Modric and Berbatov, as we would've been Eriksen for the right money. I think that Poch did make it clear that he wanted a clear out and rebuild, I'm sure that he would have supported it if he had been backed.

This is purely speculation but I think that Madrid probably made contact with him and encouraged him to say that he wanted a move but then never followed up on it.

The biggest issue was he really did only want Barca for a long time. when it became clear they wouldn't take him, he expanded his horizons ever so slightly. I heard on decent word that AM did make a bid soon after the CL Final but he was not interested. His right of course.

Or no one came in with a bid.

It's a shame because he is at least as good as Courtinho and Hazard and if he'd left 18 months ago we'd rate him as one of our modern greats.

He’s never been anywhere near Hazard’s level imo. Hazard can grab a game and make it his own, which is the preserve of the really outstanding players. Eriksen never could: hence he’s off to Inter while Hazard plies his trade at Real.

Back