• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The transfer window thread.

All squads need refreshing and teams evolve. I think that we would be in a far stronger position now if we had done similar business in the summer of 2018 as we did this summer.

I can't accept that "poor Poch" line of argument. We have brought in 26 players under his tenure. Not many of them have been good enough and none really bought with longer term evolution in mind. The fact we didn't sign anyone in 2018 is somewhat of a red herring imo - and the reports that Poch turned prospective players down just adds to that.

I can't accept that "poor Poch" line of argument. We have bought in 26 players under his tenure. Not many of them have been good enough and none really bought with longer term evolution in mind. The fact we didn't sign anyone in 2018 is somewhat of a red herring imo - and the reports that Poch turned prospective players down just adds to that.

I don't think that I am making a poor Poch argument, in fact I am not talking about the manager. The point I am making is that squads need freshing and we failed to start this until a year too late.

I think that we all could see the Dembele sized hole in our team last year and that our full backs are significantly worse than when we had Walker and Rose in their pomp four years back.

I can't accept that "poor Poch" line of argument. We have bought in 26 players under his tenure. Not many of them have been good enough and none really bought with longer term evolution in mind. The fact we didn't sign anyone in 2018 is somewhat of a red herring imo - and the reports that Poch turned prospective players down just adds to that.

With most signings being made whilst we were shopping in the bargain basement because of financial constraints it's of little wonder that we have a patchy record for transfers. We know Poch wanted Mane and Wijnaldum but ended up with Sissoko and Njie as an example.

We don't know who was turned down last summer, If they were more squad fodder like the aforementioned two than the likes of this summers transfers then it's not really of much concern in the grand scheme of things.

Im sorry mate but if there's anyone trying to find a catch all excuse it's yourself and others with the answer to everything being the manager, whereas the opposition to that view are explaining the multitude of external factors that have contributed to where we currently are. There is no one figure of blame it's a culmination of many things that have happened over the last few seasons that has bought us to where we are.

The answer to everything about how the team performs, how it is set up, how it is motivated, how it is selected - if thats not the manager, then who?

THAT is precisely where I have issues, and Poch is absolutely the person to be asking questions of.

He has been manager 5 years. Throughout which time the team has had a plan, an identity, an ethos. He built it, established the standards. And now he is acting like a man who has just had the job a few weeks, apparently doesnt know his best set up, how to manage the group, who to pick...

When actually he should know these players inside and out, who can do what, what buttons to press to get a response, who is up for it and who isnt...

THAT is a management issue.

Yes, we moved stadium, had a year without buys, have a budget... Yes, these things can impact upon the squad/team etc. And Yes, while the manager should have an eye on the road ahead and have plans in place - not all of this is his doing at all (although there certainly appears to be a fair amount he has inflicted upon himself).

However, for the most part it does fall to him to fix.

If he doesnt have the players for a formation, its his job to find one that works with/for them.
If he doesnt have players that are committed, its his job to either re-inspire them or find players that are (and there are those players in the squad)
If he doesnt think the players can perform to his established ethos, he needs to find a way of providing them the required focus
If the players dont understand what they should be doing, dont understand the system - its on him to train them and get them up to speed.

And its these things where I am just not seeing him perform. NONE of which have anything to do with all the noise around complicating factors. It is fundamentally a management issue.

Im not just referring to the one summer/year where we didn't sign anyone, it's also the 2 or 3 years/seasons prior where we operated at a net spend of 0 and in turn meant we decided to stick with players running down their contracts as opposed to moving them on - it's all contributed to where we are with the squad atm and stems from the stadium move/finances - which was the point of my response, to highlight that you didn't need to accept that we'd need to rebuild the team every 3 or 4 seasons, it's unique to now. Going forwards you would have to imagine that with the financial constraints lessened we will be able to recruit as and when we see fit, similar to the teams we compete with.

And even still, during that period, he has brought in Sanchez, Moura, Son, Foyth, Sissoko, Aurier... Players of either reputation or potential, and most often at no small cost.

After already having the like of Kane, Lamela, Eriksen, Dier, Vertonghen... in the squad.

Yes, we have a budget, and have had to try and operate with a bit of ingenuity, but despite that we still have an excellent team/squad. One capable of mounting title challenges, hitting finals/semis, and being considered one of the best and most consistent in the land.

So yes - we havent spunked billions like others - but does that really mean its just to be in this situation now - in this form - with these players?

If thats yes for you, then fine - we'll have to agree to disagree. Because its a firm no for me.

I don't think that how long the manager has been in position has any bearing on it, other than much of the squad being there for much of that time and being in need of refreshing.

The impact of that summer was that it happened at the moment when the rebuilding should have begun. Delaying it gave us a bigger and more pressing job to do.

I has massive bearing on it. He knows them all, intimately. As they know him. He knows what they are capable of. They know the standards they have reached. He knows the strengths/weaknesses of them all, do the finest detail - and so has absolutely NO excuse for the aimless scrambling he appears to be going through now in search of something that works.

If he was new to the job things would make much more sense. He isnt. And that is, IMO, not to be dismissed - I believe its a significant point.

Even if the whole refreshing thing is true (and I do doubt it) Poch should know precisely what works, how to work, to get this team playing somewhere near the level the quality of players it has demands.

I think Poch is using this as free pass/excuse this season, our performances are just disorganised and haphazard at times!
Poch was saying midweek apparently saying something along the lines of ”he will be able to tell more about his situation when is not employed by us” Unbelievable IF true! this was mention on Sky yesterday!

At the risk of interpreting the man, sounds like issues behind the scenes somewhere. And doesnt sound like someone expecting to be around long. To me at least.

Though I fully expect it could just be a bland/inane Pochism that actually doesnt mean anything.

of maybe they need to be professional.

I think people who think we’re sacking Poch need to get off the class As
He ain’t going nowhere

This was a quote from him from the SSN post match article:

"We are in the process to build and we will see if we have the time to build what we want."

Id suggest it indicates he isnt as sure about that as you are.

At the risk of interpreting the man, sounds like issues behind the scenes somewhere. And doesnt sound like someone expecting to be around long. To me at least.

Though I fully expect it could just be a bland/inane Pochism that actually doesnt mean anything.

This was a quote from him from the SSN post match article:

"We are in the process to build and we will see if we have the time to build what we want."

Id suggest it indicates he isnt as sure about that as you are.
I saw the interview
And he shouldn’t be comfortable
But IMO he isn’t going anywhere soon
Fans who want him replaced are the same fans who were singing his name after the CL wins... I know, I was at those games and I saw those fans
Maybe we’re gonna revolutionise football again by actually sticking with a manager

I saw the interview
Fans who want him replaced are the same fans who were singing his name after the CL wins... I know, I was at those games and I saw those fans
Maybe we’re gonna revolutionise football again by actually sticking with a manager

My thinking is moving past the why's and how's, and toward the solutions.

And the real question is can he actually turn it around? Time will tell, of course, but IMHO time is also short. I dont think our current form/performance can continue for very long.

So either he starts turning things round, or he ends up going.

That fake tweet last night - saying Poch was gone - my first impression was of sadness, but not surprise. I think that says a lot.

My thinking is moving past the why's and how's, and toward the solutions.

And the real question is can he actually turn it around? Time will tell, of course, but IMHO time is also short. I dont think our current form/performance can continue for very long.

So either he starts turning things round, or he ends up going.

That fake tweet last night - saying Poch was gone - my first impression was of sadness, but not surprise. I think that says a lot.
He will get the season IMO

I saw the interview
We have, 38 points in the last 38 games

I saw the interview

I would love that to be true!
But after watching the game yesterday, I think it is just a matter of when! Yesterday's performance was abject and a defeat at west ham will see gone!

He will get the season IMO

If thats what happens, itll be because he got brick together and we improved a great deal. For which I would be delighted.

Personally, I dont forsee that happening right now, and suspect the axe will fall before Christmas unless things start looking up.

As I said, time will tell.

I think we need to think about players who are solid in their positions as much as expensive WC talent
Every game we have played this year there has been a standout “functional” CB in the opposition. One that leads the defence and wins every headed and cross. Their normally the ones that we turn our noses up at as there are more glamorous sounding names abroad...
it was Mings for Villa, Dummett for Saudi Sportswashing Machine,
OConnell yesterday...
I’m not saying their players to sign although MIngs has been very good, but there are less fancy solutions

Back