• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Christian Eriksen

Quotes this morning saying he’s not regretting his ‘wantaway’ comments despite not getting his move.

Not exactly paving the way for a change of heart and signing a contract extension with us then.

Looking more like the ‘let’s run it down and see where we are’ approach. So another 5-10 months of this dragging on in the headlines and off the pitch.

His actual interview was very cryptic, basically he didn't want to talk about it.

Not sure why he should apologize for being ambitious, he's been here for a long time, given good service, if he felt his dream was available (and was probably advised to make some alerting noises), so be it.

Funny he made a tackle on Sunday that made me convinced he wasn't going anywhere this window.

His actual interview was very cryptic, basically he didn't want to talk about it.

Not sure why he should apologize for being ambitious, he's been here for a long time, given good service, if he felt his dream was available (and was probably advised to make some alerting noises), so be it.

Funny he made a tackle on Sunday that made me convinced he wasn't going anywhere this window.
In fairness, I only saw the transcript - so lacking context etc.
Maybe there is hope!

Quotes this morning saying he’s not regretting his ‘wantaway’ comments despite not getting his move.

Not exactly paving the way for a change of heart and signing a contract extension with us then.

Looking more like the ‘let’s run it down and see where we are’ approach. So another 5-10 months of this dragging on in the headlines and off the pitch.

Did you expect any less?

Of course he is happy to wait and see, he is holding 4 aces at the minute.

Just as, why would he sign a deal for a pay rise now, even with a release? Its more profitable for him to hold off and take an even bigger wage (and most likely sign on bonus) if he moves for free in the summer.

And, of course, he can agree that deal in January.

So we are only talking 4 months until he can officially get his future sorted. Of course, any club can have a word with his agent long before then...

And, a guess on my part, but if he does look set to sign a pre contract in Jan, I think we would end up selling him then. For peanuts, of course, but itll be better than nothing.

The window shutting yesterday and him still being here hasnt settled anything. Its set us up for more uncertainty with him.

I genuinely think Poch needs to be actively working Eriksen out of the team. He plays now, while Lo Celso and co are settling in, but he needs to be worked out to the sidelines as they settle so we can continue without him and without a huge bump in the road when he does go.

Did you expect any less?

Of course he is happy to wait and see, he is holding 4 aces at the minute.

Just as, why would he sign a deal for a pay rise now, even with a release? Its more profitable for him to hold off and take an even bigger wage (and most likely sign on bonus) if he moves for free in the summer.

And, of course, he can agree that deal in January.

So we are only talking 4 months until he can officially get his future sorted. Of course, any club can have a word with his agent long before then...

And, a guess on my part, but if he does look set to sign a pre contract in Jan, I think we would end up selling him then. For peanuts, of course, but itll be better than nothing.

The window shutting yesterday and him still being here hasnt settled anything. Its set us up for more uncertainty with him.

I genuinely think Poch needs to be actively working Eriksen out of the team. He plays now, while Lo Celso and co are settling in, but he needs to be worked out to the sidelines as they settle so we can continue without him and without a huge bump in the road when he does go.
Agree with all of that. Exactly what I’ve been thinking.

I think we all wish the situation was like Football Manager - we could’ve put you up for sale and sold you, rather than let you run your contract down and leave for free!

The logo " world class" is thrown around by many fans and its not always true in others eyes. Is Eriksen world class? well as this thread proves its all a matter of opinion and that is fair enough.

What i will say is that he has been "world class" for us and his stats back that up, i will be very happy is he does stay and without him we are/will be a poorer team.
If you are in the top 10 in any sport or activity, you're no doubt world class in my opinion.
All athletes in the final of the Olympic 100m final are world class sprinters. Same goes for the 15-20 or so in the 10000m final.
I can't name 10 players that are better than Eriksen in his position, so he's within the world class bracket.
People throw out names from the French, Italian and Spanish league, that are supposedly better than him, yet they have worse stats. Add to that, in other threads, those leagues are referred to as muppet leagues, with only 1 or 2 good teams. Eriksen is producing record numbers, year after year, in supposedly the hardest league, while not playing for the best team, but still that's not better than doing half of that in a 1 team league.
Go figure....

If you are in the top 10 in any sport or activity, you're no doubt world class in my opinion.
All athletes in the final of the Olympic 100m final are world class sprinters. Same goes for the 15-20 or so in the 10000m final.
I can't name 10 players that are better than Eriksen in his position, so he's within the world class bracket.
People throw out names from the French, Italian and Spanish league, that are supposedly better than him, yet they have worse stats. Add to that, in other threads, those leagues are referred to as muppet leagues, with only 1 or 2 good teams. Eriksen is producing record numbers, year after year, in supposedly the hardest league, while not playing for the best team, but still that's not better than doing half of that in a 1 team league.
Go figure....
It just comes down to your definition of World Class, some will agree with you and some like myself have a different definition of what it means to be world class. I dont think he is because:

He doesnt turn up enough in the big games and win them enough for us like the very top players do. To be clear Im not saying he NEVER has, but the very top players do it consistently in the biggest games.
And by turning up, I dont mean him scoring a goal - that is a bonus if he does. I mean dictating the play/tempo for us which is primarily what he is there to do for us and what he does well a lot of the time. But when the going gets tough, where is he? How often when we are up against it does he take the game by the scruff of the neck like world class players do and say 'Im a WC player here, Im going to do something about this'.
Could easily be summed up this season by the fanfare his cameo against Aston Villa created, when he came on and started dictating things to an extent. Next game, against Emirates Marketing Project where was he then? Yes the whole team was poor, but if he is WC that is irrelevant - you rise above and drag your team with you. Like say Ronaldo does with Portugal as one example. Even against Arsenal, yes he scored but as someone posted in the match thread when our backs were against the wall something along the lines of 'when things are going like this, this isnt the game for Eriksen.' Which kind of sums it all up really.

But that is just what my expectations of a World Class player are, yours are different and thats fine. I love Eriksen and really do rate him, just stop short of calling him World Class. But I do find the labelling a player WC as a bit of a pointless debate as noone ever agrees on what WC actually is:D....

Go figure....

All that from a gutless bloke who never tackles or heads the ball who I've never seen scream and rant at his team mates, he's no Micheal Brown.

It just comes down to your definition of World Class, some will agree with you and some like myself have a different definition of what it means to be world class. I dont think he is because:

He doesnt turn up enough in the big games and win them enough for us like the very top players do. To be clear Im not saying he NEVER has, but the very top players do it consistently in the biggest games.
And by turning up, I dont mean him scoring a goal - that is a bonus if he does. I mean dictating the play/tempo for us which is primarily what he is there to do for us and what he does well a lot of the time. But when the going gets tough, where is he? How often when we are up against it does he take the game by the scruff of the neck like world class players do and say 'Im a WC player here, Im going to do something about this'.
Could easily be summed up this season by the fanfare his cameo against Aston Villa created, when he came on and started dictating things to an extent. Next game, against Emirates Marketing Project where was he then? Yes the whole team was poor, but if he is WC that is irrelevant - you rise above and drag your team with you. Like say Ronaldo does with Portugal as one example. Even against Arsenal, yes he scored but as someone posted in the match thread when our backs were against the wall something along the lines of 'when things are going like this, this isnt the game for Eriksen.' Which kind of sums it all up really.

But that is just what my expectations of a World Class player are, yours are different and thats fine. I love Eriksen and really do rate him, just stop short of calling him World Class. But I do find the labelling a player WC as a bit of a pointless debate as noone ever agrees on what WC actually is:D....
And who are those players if I may ask?
To me you are describing a player that has never existed, and probably never will.

Last edited:

Eriksen has WC ability, no question. I'm not sure I agree he goes missing in games, that's a bit of a lazy analysis, he puts in a shift every game he plays.

The real issue or legitimate comment Is why doesn't he control more games?

I'm actually starting to think it's not Eriksen (he arguably is more effective more often for country, so to your CR example), it's Poch and the system

Poch has taken the team so far I'm starting to think we have a blind spot in his ability to get the most out of a midfield, Eriksen, Lamela, Dele, Son, Moura is a fudging lot of talent, add the new guys and we should sleep walk games. Poch has to make it work where we see that talent more consistently.

Go figure....
This. "World class" means being in the top echelon, being able to mix it with the best in the world. Technically I suppose that means that anyone who's been to a World Cup is world class, including Sissoko!

Narrowing it down, I suppose a better definition for football is whether a player would fit into the QFs of the Champions' League or World Cup. In the top 8 teams. And Eriksen certainly would.

As does Sissoko.

I might have to find myself a new definition.

KDB and Hazard in AM - Ive seen them more consistently do special things that drag their team to victories in the 'big' games that ensure their team win a trophy. Just my opinion....

Sorry but hazard rarely every plays AM..he plays number 10 or number 9 and is great. But also inconsistent ... people, quickly forget his bad including his season off

And I’ve never seen D Bruyne drag his team in his own. I’ve seen him be the best player on the pitch and be truly world class but never “drag his team”. Maybe if he was playing in an inferior side you would see that

I did see Gerard do it for example And I’ve seen the very very best win games on their own like Ronaldo and Messi, plus Bale at times

This. "World class" means being in the top echelon, being able to mix it with the best in the world. Technically I suppose that means that anyone who's been to a World Cup is world class, including Sissoko!

Narrowing it down, I suppose a better definition for football is whether a player would fit into the QFs of the Champions' League or World Cup. In the top 8 teams. And Eriksen certainly would.

As does Sissoko.

I might have to find myself a new definition.

I’d argue that it would need to be a higher bar like in the top 3/4 in their position personally

But the logic is sound

And again using someone else’s logic... players like MBappe are world class because of their international contribution because they havent dragged their club sides up to do anything special

Back