• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Apollo 11 & Moon Landings

I think NASA have been fairly open about their reduction in manned missions wherever possible due to the huge expense of it.

At no financial return or major benefits for mankind. The two super powers tinkled their money up the wall in space projects and an arms race, but I suppose it was worth it for USA as Russia fell apart trying to keep up.

Pretty much all the computerization in use today is because of the lunar program. One of the few great achievements of the Cold War. Your kid's calculators possess more computing power than that used to put a man on the moon. An amazing thought.
Even more amazing was they used core rope memory. I still can't get my head around how that works.
(it might help if I read about it but I have more important things to wast my time on)

Even more amazing was they used core rope memory. I still can't get my head around how that works.
(it might help if I read about it but I have more important things to wast my time on)
I didn't know that. Next time I'm awake at 3am because of a lightning storm, I'll read up on it.

Pretty much all the computerization in use today is because of the lunar program. One of the few great achievements of the Cold War. Your kid's calculators possess more computing power than that used to put a man on the moon. An amazing thought.
Not only that, but several of the computer geniuses contributed to what today is known as Silicon Valley after they dismantled the Apollo Program. Though any computer today can run rings around the ACG, a calculator is probably a bit far fetched unless your kid is in high school. The AGC was highly specialized circuitry that could multitask, and ran at twice the speed of a Commodore 64 and such (if anyone remember those). But it could not run Crysis.

At no financial return or major benefits for mankind. The two super powers tinkled their money up the wall in space projects and an arms race, but I suppose it was worth it for USA as Russia fell apart trying to keep up.
There were two major factors that prevented Russia from keeping up - the death of the Russian Von Braun, Sergeiy Korolev (who was perhaps even smarter), and secondly the disaster at Baikonur, where their entire launch complex went to pieces along with a lot of their engineers. The Russians have always managed to keep within distance with much lower funding than their American counterparts, plus that they did not let irrelevant factors like human life halt their progression. During Vostok, they filmed all of the cosmonauts "leaving for space" and would release the footage of the first who survived. Luckily, Gagarin made it on the first try.

There were two major factors that prevented Russia from keeping up - the death of the Russian Von Braun, Sergeiy Korolev (who was perhaps even smarter), and secondly the disaster at Baikonur, where their entire launch complex went to pieces along with a lot of their engineers. The Russians have always managed to keep within distance with much lower funding than their American counterparts, plus that they did not let irrelevant factors like human life halt their progression. During Vostok, they filmed all of the cosmonauts "leaving for space" and would release the footage of the first who survived. Luckily, Gagarin made it on the first try.

There were far more problems than that for USSR, the arms race was draining them and trying to spread their doctrine in 3rd world countries without out funding.

There were far more problems than that for USSR, the arms race was draining them and trying to spread their doctrine in 3rd world countries without out funding.
That is partially true, while the space race were costly, USA threw significantly more resources at it. The politics also cost the Americans in the beginning, with them bickering over what missile to use. While all the missiles were derivates from the V2, the powers at that time didn't want the creator, an ex-Nazi, running the entire show. It took a lot of mishaps to give Von Braun free reigns with his Redstone. The Soviets had one man in charge of it all, who made all the key decisions (while he had competition, it was miles behind in reliability). When he died, his assistant who took over was not only very fond of The Vodka, but also lacked the vision, the leadership qualities, the technological insight and had far less influence in the politburo (Krutschev did not really give any fecks about science or exploration, he only wanted missiles to carry warheads).

And just like the Americans wouldn't have gotten to the moon without VB, the Soviets were unable to realize the plans Korolev had for a rocket powerful enough (the stage 1 from his plans of a modified R7 were actually more powerful than the stage 1 of the Saturn V) for a manned moon landing. By the time the Americans landed on the moon, the Soviet economy was the second largest in the world, but they had all but given up on the race to the moon. They simply didn't have the rockets for it. Though they tried to hijack the event by landing a small unmanned probe that was to be the first to bring back moon rocks (Luna 15), better than nothing right, but it smacked into the surface the same day Armstrong and Aldrin left. And not too far away, either. This is arguably the best evidence against the moon landing hoax theory, the Russians were actually there at the same time.

Back