• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

The glorious march to CL qualification

I wonder just how fudged Arsenal would be if they kept missing out on CL? We have already seen them take a big financial hit over the last couple of years, a couple more and they might not be able to pay the Ramsey and Ozil level wages anymore.

Let's hope Valencia are up for it, they are also in 5th and chasing 4th spot

I wonder just how fudged Arsenal would be if they kept missing out on CL? We have already seen them take a big financial hit over the last couple of years, a couple more and they might not be able to pay the Ramsey and Ozil level wages anymore.

Let's hope Valencia are up for it, they are also in 5th and chasing 4th spot

We know from experience exactly how it is.

There is the initial hurdle of actually getting players to come to you instead of CL options. Thats the catch 22 isnt it? You need quality players to break into CL, but those same quality players would rather move to a CL team...

Then there is the financial. And the disparity in earnings is enormous. So the wage bill will ultimately have to follow suit.

Arsenal, very soon IMO, will need to switch to adoption our tactic of buying youth with potential and building up. Which is much easier said than done.

I think they could very easily fall into that "best of the rest" position we were in all those years, better than the rest of the league but not good enough to crack top 4.

For this to happen missing CL is imperative. As is continued EUROPA participation.

We know from experience exactly how it is.

There is the initial hurdle of actually getting players to come to you instead of CL options. Thats the catch 22 isnt it? You need quality players to break into CL, but those same quality players would rather move to a CL team...

Then there is the financial. And the disparity in earnings is enormous. So the wage bill will ultimately have to follow suit.

Arsenal, very soon IMO, will need to switch to adoption our tactic of buying youth with potential and building up. Which is much easier said than done.

I think they could very easily fall into that "best of the rest" position we were in all those years, better than the rest of the league but not good enough to crack top 4.

For this to happen missing CL is imperative. As is continued EUROPA participation.

The extra round of games, travelling and playing on Sunday that comes from the Europa League is also a big handicap in trying to break into the top four.

The extra round of games, travelling and playing on Sunday that comes from the Europa League is also a big handicap in trying to break into the top four.

Ive said many times, I am convinced the EUROPA league is infact a trap, designed to prevent teams from moving on to the CL. I absolutely hate it.

Ive said many times, I am convinced the EUROPA league is infact a trap, designed to prevent teams from moving on to the CL. I absolutely hate it.

I agree. If you wanted to design a competition to stop teams pushing on further domestically, you would be hard pressed to come up with something better fitted to it than the Europa League. There is fudge all money in it too, so there isn't really any reward for the extra effort.

I see the Twunt might has a second persona - hopefully more accurate.

Wolves v Arsenal

Wolves were held by Brighton on Saturday and it seems they struggle to beat teams who just sit in against them.

That is something for Nuno Espirito Santo to sort out for next season, but I don't think it will be a problem on Wednesday because Arsenal will go at them.

Arsenal could well end up winning the Europa League but they have had the same problem all season: massive issues defensively, as we saw again in Sunday's defeat by Crystal Palace.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0

Ten Tonnes' prediction: 0-2​

I agree. If you wanted to design a competition to stop teams pushing on further domestically, you would be hard pressed to come up with something better fitted to it than the Europa League. There is fudge all money in it too, so there isn't really any reward for the extra effort.
A European trophy and qualification to the CL?

Yeah, no way do we want UTD having the lure of CL football to go with their coffers. The longer they are away from it the better, although with the wages they can offer and the stature of the club they will still have little trouble.

Yeah, no way do we want UTD having the lure of CL football to go with their coffers. The longer they are away from it the better, although with the wages they can offer and the stature of the club they will still have little trouble.

I doubt that OGS is much of a lure to prospective players. He has no profile as a manager and I doubt that many younger players can remember him playing.

:D Jesus christ, I've never heard a bunch of fans moan and complain about a competition (especially one that while slightly changed, is a huge part of our history) as much as Spurs fans do about the UEFA/Europa league.

It has one extra round. You play a few more teams in the East and South of Europe. You make less money. At the end, you have a trophy and now direct entry into the CL (and actually, if you win, you still make a very sizeable amount).

The odds aren't really stacked against you, Man Utd and Chelsea have both won it in the last 6 years, Liverpool reached the final and both Arsenal and Chelsea in the semis currently and looking very good bets to both get into the final, while both still competing for top 4.

I think the exact opposite tbh. Man Utd are a financial beast and will continue to be so regardless of CL football or not for a while yet.

Another season out of the CL for Chelsea and Arsenal would be superb. Less money for both, yet another season out and yet another season in which we're the only London club in the CL. Plus would give us a great opportunity to stick those posters up again. :D:D

I actually think it'd hit Chelsea harder than Arsenal to miss out on CL.

The club are in a relative state of turmoil. I think people have cottoned on to how corrupt the place is and rotten through and through. Abramovich looks bored with the whole place now. There's no job security for any manager or coaching team, regardless of how well you do. And now with the transfer ban there's no chance of moulding a squad or purchasing key players to suit your style.

Add to that a lack of CL will probably push Hazard out, I think they could end up in a real state if they miss out on top 4.

:D Jesus christ, I've never heard a bunch of fans moan and complain about a competition (especially one that while slightly changed, is a huge part of our history) as much as Spurs fans do about the UEFA/Europa league.

It has one extra round. You play a few more teams in the East and South of Europe. You make less money. At the end, you have a trophy and now direct entry into the CL (and actually, if you win, you still make a very sizeable amount).

The odds aren't really stacked against you, Man Utd and Chelsea have both won it in the last 6 years, Liverpool reached the final and both Arsenal and Chelsea in the semis currently and looking very good bets to both get into the final, while both still competing for top 4.
Agree, maybe Spurs fans have been brainwashed about the EL by our consistent undermining of the tournament. The odds are no way stacked against an English side if they take it seriously, assuming one or two of the big 6 are in there they would easily be one of the favourites.This playing Thursday/Sunday thing as being some sort of a massive hamper is a bit of a myth IMO.....

Agree, maybe Spurs fans have been brainwashed about the EL by our consistent undermining of the tournament. The odds are no way stacked against an English side if they take it seriously, assuming one or two of the big 6 are in there they would easily be one of the favourites.This playing Thursday/Sunday thing as being some sort of a massive hamper is a bit of a myth IMO.....

Agreed. Plus its a very premier league centred view to think that it is built to stop clubs from usurping other clubs in the CL. The European competitions are about more than just England, Italy, Spain and Germany and certainly about more than just the top 3-4 clubs from each of those leagues.

Not to mention that while there are an extra 2 games if you go all the way, I think it is fair to say that the intensity of the games is just a little higher in the CL.....It doesn't matter which manager it was, we have always rested players, sometimes not even taken them traveling, to some of the games in the EL. There would always be at least 1 team in the group that was absolute crap too so very few of the first teamers are even particularly exerting themselves in the early stages.

We were pretty much fighting for our lives in every game in the CL this season and even the supposedly easy games against PSV ended up being draining both mentally and physically. Very few of those in EL early stages, especially not in the group stage.

Agreed. Plus its a very premier league centred view to think that it is built to stop clubs from usurping other clubs in the CL. The European competitions are about more than just England, Italy, Spain and Germany and certainly about more than just the top 3-4 clubs from each of those leagues.

Not to mention that while there are an extra 2 games if you go all the way, I think it is fair to say that the intensity of the games is just a little higher in the CL.....It doesn't matter which manager it was, we have always rested players, sometimes not even taken them traveling, to some of the games in the EL. There would always be at least 1 team in the group that was absolute crap too so very few of the first teamers are even particularly exerting themselves in the early stages.

We were pretty much fighting for our lives in every game in the CL this season and even the supposedly easy games against PSV ended up being draining both mentally and physically. Very few of those in EL early stages, especially not in the group stage.

Agree and for the group games and last 32 of the EL a team from the top 6 of the PL should be able to leave 6 or 7 say of its first 11 at home resting up and playing mainly back-up players with kids on the bench. I never understand why English teams going away from home in the EL drag first teamers out to eastern europe just to sit on the bench and play 20 mins - the risk/reward balance isn't right given it risks impacting the next league game

I actually think it'd hit Chelsea harder than Arsenal to miss out on CL.

The club are in a relative state of turmoil. I think people have cottoned on to how corrupt the place is and rotten through and through. Abramovich looks bored with the whole place now. There's no job security for any manager or coaching team, regardless of how well you do. And now with the transfer ban there's no chance of moulding a squad or purchasing key players to suit your style.

Add to that a lack of CL will probably push Hazard out, I think they could end up in a real state if they miss out on top 4.
This. I think both teams need a real quality injection, assuming Hazard leaves, and another year for both outside CL might shift the balance more permanently in our direction. Let Man U get 4th.

Back