• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gravity

ringo

Tim Sherwood
I read that the US and UK are to stump up no less than £25m to upgrade the The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) from the "Advanced LIGO" phase to the "Advanced LIGO Plus" phase.

in order to catch some gravitational waves.
Sounds serious. Is that stellar surfing?

But actually -do we not know what gravity is yet?
I thought it was curvature in space-time caused by mass - so how come they are looking for waves?

I read that the US and UK are to stump up no less than £25m to upgrade the The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) from the "Advanced LIGO" phase to the "Advanced LIGO Plus" phase.

in order to catch some gravitational waves.
Sounds serious. Is that stellar surfing?

But actually -do we not know what gravity is yet?
I thought it was curvature in space-time caused by mass - so how come they are looking for waves?
I listened to loads of brick about this when I was tinkled one night. I can't remember most of it unsurprisingly but I do remember Einstein predicted them 100 years ago. They are ripples in space-time produced by some cosmic event and will cause everything they pass through to stretch and contract, in this case the earth. They measured them for the first time recently and then all the scientists went for a mad orgy as they were so happy.

Last edited:
Back