• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Cardiff striker's plane goes missing

My son is a year and a half younger than Sala. Hard not to shed tears when you imagine what the boy's parents and family are going through.

In fact, impossible.

pa46350p_kp.jpg

The plane was a Piper Malibu, looks a bit lightweight for me, but then I am no expert.

It is really tragic
It's not at all lightweight - there's thousands of them in flight all the time. That kind of light aircraft has been flying regularly for decades and they're a very well tried and tested build.

All transport comes with risk, but they're significantly safer than driving a car - I assume we're not considering banning footballers from travelling by car?

From the Evening Standard article:
"According to a source connected to the player in Brittany, the pilot had "struggled to get the plane airborne three or four times" at Nantes-Atlantique airport."

If that is the case then it sounds like the plane might have had problems.

To think that he was scared enough to tell friends in a message is quite chilling. Very sad.

Elsewhere is saying the takeoffs hasn't been confirmed. So maybe I was wrong to take the ES at face value.

The Professional Pilots forum has a record showing it's a 35 year old plane registered for private use only (i.e. technically not supposed to have paying customers, but loopholes around that). So it seems that he's just been ridiculously unlucky that a lot of small risks that would normally be OK have caused a tragedy.

I

All transport comes with risk, but they're significantly safer than driving a car - I assume we're not considering banning footballers from travelling by car?

To be honest, I think footballers, like all adults should have the choice to travel in whatever mode of transport they like. i have seen light engine planes like the Malibu Piper close up and they simply do not look sturdy enough for my liking.

From the Evening Standard article:
"According to a source connected to the player in Brittany, the pilot had "struggled to get the plane airborne three or four times" at Nantes-Atlantique airport."

If that is the case then it sounds like the plane might have had problems.

To think that he was scared enough to tell friends in a message is quite chilling. Very sad.

If that is the case the flight should have been aborted

To be honest, I think footballers, like all adults should have the choice to travel in whatever mode of transport they like. i have seen light engine planes like the Malibu Piper close up and they simply do not look sturdy enough for my liking.
I'm not sure how many hours I've spent in similar craft (never a Malibu) but it's quite a lot. If the correct precautions are taken, they're every bit as safe as any commercial airline*

*The one caveat with this particular craft is that it's a single prop, and therefore has a single point of failure for power. That shouldn't be an issue over such a short stretch of water, but it does bring into question how sensible flying into a weather front is. That is a precaution that any decent pilot should take though, as with any decision to fly or not.

The pilot seems the one who would be facing questions. There's not much they can do to him now, unless he survived and did a runner.

Back