• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Best film of the 80s - Trading Places v Airplane!

Which film is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

milo

Jack L. Jones
Trading Places

Directed by John Landis
Produced by Aaron Russo
Written by Timothy Harris and Herschel Weingrod
Starring Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Ralph Bellamy, Don Ameche, Denholm Elliott and Jamie Lee Curtis

V

Airplane

Directed by Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker
Produced by Jon Davison
Written by Jim Abrahams, David Zucker and Jerry Zucker
Starring Robert Hays, Julie Hagerty, Leslie Nielsen, Lloyd Bridges, Robert Stack, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Peter Graves and Lorna Patterson

Airplane has got some excellent gags, but trading places is a damn fine movie.
Plus I'll take a glimpse of Jamie's melons over Priscilla's beaver any day.

Another poll goes awry.

Trading Places sags on the train. And it has too much Jamie Lee Curtis in it. Airplane, meanwhile, invented the whole pastiche movie genre, setting a very high bar, and still hasn’t been beaten for gags per minute.

I'm finding this one difficult. The gag count in Airplane is just so high and so many of them have entered into the public consciousness that it is easy to forget where they came from. Trading Places is a fine film, Eddie Murphy was only 21 when he made it and he completely carries the whole thing. He's brilliant.

Another poll goes awry.

Trading Places sags on the train. And it has too much Jamie Lee Curtis in it. Airplane, meanwhile, invented the whole pastiche movie genre, setting a very high bar, and still hasn’t been beaten for gags per minute.

I agree about Trading Places when it gets to the train. It was my favourite bit as a kid but feels very dated now.

I watched it again recently. I think that I must've been ten or eleven when I first saw it and saw it a lot around that age. I can only assume that it was an recording of a pre-watershed ITV version with liberal use of "money funster" and without JLC's norks.

Muddy funster, wasn’t it? Another gripe: the film never really explains the FCOJ shorting ploy. Perhaps they had to cut it for fear of copycat crimes.

And it has too much Jamie Lee Curtis in it.

giphy.gif

Difficult one.
Trading Places is a great film. Very funny and up against most other 80s comedy films would win hands down. I haven't seen it in a good while but would happily watch it again. But...

Airplane, although looking dated, has attained classic status (imo). So many jokes/scenes that still raise laughs after countless viewings. Only last week at work a conversation trail somehow led to talking about Airplane's auto-pilot scene. It's also the kind of film you can easily start watching part way through or just dip in and out of.
Airplane wins, shirley.

Dan Akroyd. Arseholed. Dishevelled Santa uniform. Hiding a giant fudging trout. And Billy Ray speaking about how a jacuzzi in his childhood was farting in the tub. Only one winner folks.

Or beat them to it? Egg nog?

Brilliant timing from Denholm Elliot... he was superb in his role as the butler

Definitely Airplane for me. Airplane is an all time classic. Whereas Trading Places is good, but I can’t see it coming up quickly if anyone was asked to compile a list of best comedies of the era. Perhaps it would, I mean it has its fans but it just isn’t in the same ball park as Airplane. And I do like Trading Places as a film.

Back