• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Winter Olympics

Grays_1890

Colin Calderwood
What a bunch of rubbish it is.

Eddie the Eagle is right in that as a nation of non winter sports we spend a fortune on it trying to compete

Why is it rubbish? Because England isn't very good at winter sports? As a Norwegian it's brilliant :)

Not really. Haven't watched any of it (most of it is boring as feck anyway) and I'm already fed up with the coverage. What difference does it make to me if the person who wins an event currently represents Norway or Sweden or any other country? I don't care for sport as a dingdong measuring contest. Whenever Russia or China win a lot you know they've cheated

I rather like the Winter Olympics. We'll never be any good at stuff like skiing, but no reason we shouldn't be competitive at rink based sports, we have them in the UK.

I get what The Eagle was saying, but if we didn't give the money to them, we'd only waste it somewhere else.

I could live without that bird who keeps falling over in the speed skating though.

I like the Olympics. Both summer and winter. Chance to watch some sports I rarely watch, great stories and some lovely athletes.

As a Norwegian watching us dominate makes for a good change from football. I have more fun watching the winter Olympics than the Norwegian national football team. That's a very low bar I'll admit...

Shame the NHL made their players stay home. For 3 years and 11,9 months of the year I watch close to no ice hockey, but the Olympics are usually a very good watch when things heat up with quarter finals and beyond.

I like the Olympics but I do find skiing boring, I found it a bit boring the one time I did it as well. Nice to see different sports for a change though.

The only winter sport I would watch is snowball fighting, two opponents have 3 minutes to make balls and hit opponent, most hits wins.

I like the Olympics but I do find skiing boring, I found it a bit boring the one time I did it as well. Nice to see different sports for a change though.
The ski cross, or whatever it was called (all race on a track at the same time), was good last night. Canadian girl absolutely binned it, no one seemed all that bothered that she was probably dead.

I haven't watched a bit of it, all very dull.

As for curling, I have more respect for someone down the local ten pin bowling alley. In curling you just ppppppush the stone and keep hold and then sllllowly let go and then tell your mates whether to brush it left or right. That's just easy, and cheating.

Set your alarm to 05:00 for the 50km cross country for men tomorrow, should be a riot!

But seriously, if you give different sports a chance it might change your mind. Never thought I'd watch a chess game or a round of darts, but I have and got intrigued with both. Helps to have someone to root for, pick someone like you would pick your NFL team.

I haven't watched a bit of it, all very dull.

As for curling, I have more respect for someone down the local ten pin bowling alley. In curling you just ppppppush the stone and keep hold and then sllllowly let go and then tell your mates whether to brush it left or right. That's just easy, and cheating.
Our skip complained about dust on the ice when he left his stone 30 feet short. If only they'd had some sort of sweeping device.

Set your alarm to 05:00 for the 50km cross country for men tomorrow, should be a riot!

But seriously, if you give different sports a chance it might change your mind. Never thought I'd watch a chess game or a round of darts, but I have and got intrigued with both. Helps to have someone to root for, pick someone like you would pick your NFL team.

I dont have a NFL team as I am not a macaron.

Are they doing a mass start? It's a great way to make an already dull sport even worse. Everyone in a big bunch for two hours, then a sprint. It's physically impossible to do all the tactical stuff they do in cycling like groups breaking away.

Are they doing a mass start? It's a great way to make an already dull sport even worse. Everyone in a big bunch for two hours, then a sprint. It's physically impossible to do all the tactical stuff they do in cycling like groups breaking away.
Yep. It's a mass start. 48 km transport and then 2 km proper racing. It's boring as hell. At least with individual start there are some lead changes and the race is alive. Someone can be a long way behind early on, but gradually come into contention. That doesn't happen in mass starts.

They're probably all on someone else's blood or EPO or asthma medicine or whatever this year's trick is

I think I know a little someone who didn't get skis for Christmas. It puts the lotion on the skis.

Back