• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Set Pieces

Scara you're really setting yourself to fall with this Sissoko style belligerence, on the subject of corners not being worth the effort for an attacking team. I can pretty much guarantee you, that the game isn't going to change and there will be corners for the rest of our days. Granted, the quality of defending might improve, to reduce the odds of a goal like the one Kane got last month against Southampton, but when you watch someone like Pjanic deliver corners of the highest quality, they are worth pursuing. What will you say if Toby or Dier buries one in off the crossbar against Liverpool in the Champions League final?

I'll be very glad if we score from a corner. But, as has been repeated ad nauseam on this thread, the chances of us scoring from a short corner are at least as high and the chances of our opponent scoring from a break are much lower.

It's only really backward English fans that get massively excited when their team gets a corner.

I'll be very glad if we score from a corner. But, as has been repeated ad nauseam on this thread, the chances of us scoring from a short corner are at least as high and the chances of our opponent scoring from a break are much lower.

It's only really backward English fans that get massively excited when their team gets a corner.

Exactly the sort of incorrect stereotyping one would expect from you. You know for a fact do you, that Brazilian, Italian or Indian fans don't get excited about corners being opportunities to score or an Indian premier league fan? How about the fact that Ramos has scored at least a dozen headers direct from corners for club and country (winning every trophy under the sun) which would suggest that Spanish fans probably don't slump back in their seats when a corner gets awarded.

Exactly the sort of incorrect stereotyping one would expect from you. You know for a fact do you, that Brazilian, Italian or Indian fans don't get excited about corners being opportunities to score or an Indian premier league fan? How about the fact that Ramos has scored at least a dozen headers direct from corners for club and country (winning every trophy under the sun) which would suggest that Spanish fans probably don't slump back in their seats when a corner gets awarded.

I think that it's a call back to this Mourinho quote that I posted earlier in the thread

"How many countries can you think of where a corner kick is treated with the same applause as a goal? One. It only happens in England. This is the only place where a corner kick is as good as a goal for the fans. And what is the best way to get a corner? Just kicking the ball into the box and pressing the second ball."

Dippers scored from a corner too. If it's good enough for the Teutonic Kev Keegan, it's... err... yeah let's take them short.

...and without those goals they'd be relegated already!

I don't remember anyone saying goals from corners weren't useful. Your argument was that this is something that should be prioritised in training, despite there being scant evidence in extra training resulting in a higher return. The fact remains that only 2% of corners result in a goal and only a little less result in a break for the opposition leading to a goal being conceded.

I don’t care about us scoring from corners. As long as we get 2each half as well as the other team, and if the rest of the games I put money on also have the same amount of corners each game that’ll be fine with me.

It was notable that a few of our corners beat the first man today. One went to the keeper. One went to a chance. One went sailing straight out. One was headed in.

I don't remember anyone saying goals from corners weren't useful. Your argument was that this is something that should be prioritised in training, despite there being scant evidence in extra training resulting in a higher return. The fact remains that only 2% of corners result in a goal and only a little less result in a break for the opposition leading to a goal being conceded.

You are mis-quoting me. I never said we should PRIORITISE corners. I said we need to pay them some attention. Today we had 13 corners. How long is it from the time the ball goes out of play and the corner is awarded until it is taken and " the phase " over?. I would guess 45 seconds on average. So today, that means about 10 minutes approximately of the game is taken up by our corners. To neglect that period of a game (as some assert that it is a waste of time practicing corners) would be negligent of the coaching staff to my mind. We know we will get about 7-10 corners every game. These are taken from exactly the same place in every game. So it isn't rocket science to say come up with three different plans for corners.

In any event, it is clear that we have recently started to practice different corners - much to the distress of the nay--sayers who don't think this a worthwhile endeavour. We have used different corner takers and we have varied our corners, even taking short corners or deeper corners. The result of all our practise was rewarded with today's winning goal.

My principal gripe, when I started this thread, was threefold. Eriksen took every corner. Almost all his corners were cut out by the first man. And, all our players were grouped in and around the six yard box, just bobbing up and down, without the room to properly attack the crossed ball. Slowly, slowly we are addressing these issues. As a result we should now score more goals from corners. As I have always argued, even a small increase in our return from corners can prove massive - just as it did today and earn us a crucial extra two points, which could just be vital to our top 4 prospects at the end of the season.

Back