• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

By all accounts he was told Palace would accept a "credible" bid and let him go.

Problem is it seems that "credible bid" was never given an actual number, so Parish gets to pull the rug on anything not silly money.

Though, to be fair - I wouldnt consider £40m credible at all.
Yea when your rookie full back of all of 1 season and zero international caps gets sold for 50m then I don’t think 40m for your seasoned professional, former Man Utd, main striker and talisman, with many international caps is quite going to cut it!

If AWB went for 50m then I think Palace are entitled to ask for 80m for Zaha, they might settle around the 65/70 mark but no way would they consider 40m.

Yea when your rookie full back of all of 1 season and zero international caps gets sold for 50m then I don’t think 40m for your seasoned professional, former Man Utd, main striker and talisman, with many international caps is quite going to cut it!

If AWB went for 50m then I think Palace are entitled to ask for 80m for Zaha, they might settle around the 65/70 mark but no way would they consider 40m.

As Adam says, I think around £60m is probably "fair".

If we spent that on him Id be ok with it, more than that and I would feel we really over paid.

Conversely, thats not a bad return on the player from their POV.

Problem is that 20% sell on...

By all accounts he was told Palace would accept a "credible" bid and let him go.

Problem is it seems that "credible bid" was never given an actual number, so Parish gets to pull the rug on anything not silly money.

Though, to be fair - I wouldnt consider £40m credible at all.

Agreed - £40m isnt remotely credible irrespective of the sell-on clause. I dont really see us signing him given I think Palace will price him too high, though his ability to play either CF or off a CF (similar to Son) is what we need

Agreed - £40m isnt remotely credible irrespective of the sell-on clause. I dont really see us signing him given I think Palace will price him too high, though his ability to play either CF or off a CF (similar to Son) is what we need

As noted as well in this thread (credit to whoever said it!)
1) Its not crazy talk to suggest Palace could finish above Arsenal.*
2) Without Zaha Palace could be in genuine relegation trouble given their lack of goals.*

*Both points kind of related.

Palace have a decent defence, and a decent midfield (Arsenal have neither), but they lack a decent goalscorer (Arsenal have a quality front line which has carried them well above what they deserve). Saw Palace linked to Sturridge last week, he could be the missing ingredient to them jumping a good handful of places next season. A regular goal scorer would mean Palace have a decent TEAM, and could be a real threat to clubs in that 6-10th range.

If we spent that on him Id be ok with it, more than that and I would feel we really over paid.

the sell on fee would have dropped the initial fee in their favour though

For the sell on if we had to let him go, we’d let him go on a free and chuck in our 3rd choice keeper in an entirely separate deal for £150m...

As it was with our interest in him - he is worth far more to Palace than he is to any buying team so will always be priced out of a move, unless he was to run down his contract but he seems to thick to have realized

Agreed. By being greedy and signing his contract last year so he was paid whilst "waiting" on a bigger club. He is now in the position where Palace do not have to sell unless they get a silly offer. At 27 he is now the wrong age for a high value transfer in the eyes of a lot of teams. It would probably be his last big move and he would retain no sell on value. That said, a team desperate enough might drop 70m on him and never see a return on any of that. But with ManYoo also getting 25% Palace are in the driving seat. Maybe he could be push his way out. We have seen that happen before. But would be do that to Palace? not sure. Either way, his career is not at the tipping point in terms of ambition.

Maybe more to it than him being thick, he plays every game in his preferred role, which wouldn’t the case at the clubs he’s been linked with.

Maybe more to it than him being thick, he plays every game in his preferred role, which wouldn’t the case at the clubs he’s been linked with.

No! Definitely him being thick! I mean, he wants to move to the gooners... how more thick can you get. But then I guess they would be a good match of profound thickness..

If he wasn't thick, he would have insisted on a buy-out clause when signing his last contract.

So not interested in him now. Good footballing ability but this love declaration for Arsenal has me scratching my head. A Crystal Palace player declaring that he wants Champions League last season and now saying that he loves Arsenal. Dude is confused af.

So not interested in him now. Good footballing ability but this love declaration for Arsenal has me scratching my head. A Crystal Palace player declaring that he wants Champions League last season and now saying that he loves Arsenal. Dude is confused af.

Its weird isnt it? He's the sort of position we need to add - a mobile player who can play CF but also behind Kane - a bit like having another Son

Maybe he’s been offered around by his agent and of the top 6 United aren’t an option, Chelsea can’t buy and Liverpool and city would involve moving and tough competition for places. If we have said no based on the clubs view of whether he’d fit in or wages that only leaves Goons. Goons can say we’ll give you 150k but only if we get you for 40m.

As has been said, if he signed the longer term deal to lock in the high wages without a release clause then Palace hold all the cards, which is entirely reasonable given the financial commitment they made to him at the time which in turn was supposed to protect his value. Not sure the boyhood club statement has any value until after you have signed for the club though.

Its weird isnt it? He's the sort of position we need to add - a mobile player who can play CF but also behind Kane - a bit like having another Son

That's the exact reason I've said previously that I wouldn't blow our budget on him. As much as I rate him, I think he operates predominantly in the same area of the pitch as Son and we need to upgrade elsewhere rather than getting a 2nd option there.

Back