• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Zaha

is no one worried that the time when he was at a large club before it he bombed out? I worry a bit with the siggy thing; he just wasnt good enough but looked great elsewhere.

on the other hand, zaha always looks fun to watch with those stepovers, and i'd enjoy seeing that

No you dont, sometimes it works but other times guile doesnt work. They defend deep, which means it helps massively if you have a player who can beat a man from a standstill position. Not only does Zaha do that, he takes three defenders with him when he runs with the ball. You are purposefully playing down what he can do and it wont wash, he creates something out of nothing and like Nayim said would be a game changer. The missing piece in our AM jigsaw....
He's just doing it to drive down the fee. :p

Crystal Palace set to offer Wilfried Zaha new contract to ward off interest

• Ivory Coast forward is wanted by Tottenham and Chelsea
• Palace confident Sako, Cabaye and Ward will remain at club

Ed Aarons

@ed_aarons
Wed 30 May 2018 14.14 BSTLast modified on Thu 31 May 2018 00.30 BST

Crystal Palace look set to offer Wilfried Zaha a new contract after his performances helped secure the club Premier League football for a sixth successive season.

The Ivory Coast forward enjoyed his most productive campaign yet as Palace recovered from losing their first seven matches to finish 11th after hiring Roy Hodgson as manager. Zaha scored nine goals in 29 appearances, having been sidelined for two separate spells in August and March, with Palace failing to record a single victory in the nine games he missed.

The 25-year-old signed a new five-year deal last summer worth around £110,000 a week and has repeatedly stated that he is happy at his boyhood club. However, with Chelsea, Tottenham and Liverpool having all shown an interest in recent weeks, Palace will attempt to ward them off by rewarding their star player with an improved deal that would see him become the top earner at the club ahead of the Belgium striker Christian Benteke.

It is understood that Emirates Marketing Project had also previously shown an interest in Zaha, although that has cooled recently as they pursue other targets. Tottenham’s manager Mauricio Pochettino is long-time admirer of the player, while Chelsea’s interest is complicated by uncertainty surrounding the future of the manager Antonio Conte. Liverpool manager Jürgen Klopp is also believed to have monitored Zaha but now appears likely to press ahead with attempts to sign France’s Nabil Fekir from Lyon instead.

The out of contract trio Bakary Sako, Yohan Cabaye and Joel Ward, meanwhile, are close to signing new contracts at Selhurst Park on reduced terms after talks with their respective representatives. Sako, who moved to south London from Wolves in 2015, fractured an ankle in January having played an important role for Hodgson’s side as back-up to Zaha, while the former France midfielder Cabaye had been linked with a return to Ligue 1 with Marseille.

It is also understood that Palace are unlikely to pursue their interest in the France Under-20 goalkeeper Alban Lafont in this window despite scouting him extensively last season due to the impeding arrival of Vicente Guaita from Getafe on a free transfer.

Michael Dawson back to Forest.

Great news, its always nice when players go full circle and the need someone with his experience.

is no one worried that the time when he was at a large club before it he bombed out? I worry a bit with the siggy thing; he just wasnt good enough but looked great elsewhere.

on the other hand, zaha always looks fun to watch with those stepovers, and i'd enjoy seeing that

Im really not - and here is why, in his own words (from May):

The 25-year-old has admitted the move came too early in his career.

“Me going to a big club when I was like 19 or 20, I didn’t know what to expect, how to behave, whatever,” he told Sky Sports.

“I was just a youngster who wanted to do tricks, I didn’t even care about end product really.

“Now I take things a lot more seriously - the gym aspect, recovery after games, my decision-making.

“I’ve learnt a lot in terms of my all-round game”

“I’m totally different now. I’m definitely more mature and more strong-minded.

“I had to be mentally strong after what I went through at Manchester United.

“I think in football, most of it is just mental. Once you’ve got that sorted, then you’re good.”

He was too young for such a move. Clearly not ready. And going to Manchester as a South London lad is massive, let alone Manchester Utd as a Palace player.

Since returning he has grown as a player, to the point where he finally looks like he is putting it all together, and comments like this only reinforce that for me.

Don't think he's actually got that many options. Not gonna go Utd. City Are going for Mahrez. Arsenal probably don't have (or want to spend)
the money or the need and Chelsea will be looking for a player with a bigger cache. Added to that are whatever fee Palace are going to want for him plus whatever wages he's going to want.

A lot riding on whether or not we go for/can get Bale.

I would think he's the exact type of player Chelsea would like, they need to keep their British squad quota up and he's a good age (they don't develop youth) and would give them a type of player they don't really have except Hazard who plays a bit more centrally (I've discounted Pedro as he rarely plays).

Zaha will conjure up opportunities from nowt.

Zaha will disrupt defences and dare to “try”. Remember our motto.

Zaha will miss easy tap-ins and open goals.

Zaha is not Messi.

Pick one or two of the above statements and go to town. Build a massive argument, type til your knuckles ache and your cheeks are wet.

Then sit back and see if Spurs buy him.
True that Zaha is still youngish and a risk, I trust in Poch to develop him further.

Sent from my [device_name] using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

I reckon Zaha might actually just sign a new contract. He's had his fingers burnt moving before, and is also in that Harry Kane - big fish in the right sized pool - situation

I reckon Zaha might actually just sign a new contract. He's had his fingers burnt moving before, and is also in that Harry Kane - big fish in the right sized pool - situation

Good point.....he is their talisman, he is loved there, he seems very comfortable too. He will play every week. One of their own

Zaha would mean Son might want out.

That and his price mean IMHO he will not come to us or anybody like @Gutter Boy suggests.

GBs opinions are stuck on when Zaha was a child. I wouldnt pay any real heed to them.

Son? Its a squad game. If Zaha came in and took his spot, it would be on merit and deserved.

More likely there would be plenty of games to go around.

GBs opinions are stuck on when Zaha was a child. I wouldnt pay any real heed to them.

Son? Its a squad game. If Zaha came in and took his spot, it would be on merit and deserved.

More likely there would be plenty of games to go around.

As my second team Is the mighty Eagles, I’ll go with him staying as I think he likes it there with Woy!
I wouldn’t pay over £45m also.

I’m not anti the lad but I suppose £45m is the new £25mo_O

Thats the sad truth.

The market has completely lost touch with reality (it was barely holding on before) and now £45m is bizarrely not even big money.

Bare in mind we spent £40m on Sanchez, a rookie defender on the back of one season in the Dutch league.

Great news, its always nice when players go full circle and the need someone with his experience.

Im really not - and here is why, in his own words (from May):

The 25-year-old has admitted the move came too early in his career.

“Me going to a big club when I was like 19 or 20, I didn’t know what to expect, how to behave, whatever,” he told Sky Sports.

“I was just a youngster who wanted to do tricks, I didn’t even care about end product really.

“Now I take things a lot more seriously - the gym aspect, recovery after games, my decision-making.

“I’ve learnt a lot in terms of my all-round game”

“I’m totally different now. I’m definitely more mature and more strong-minded.

“I had to be mentally strong after what I went through at Manchester United.

“I think in football, most of it is just mental. Once you’ve got that sorted, then you’re good.”

He was too young for such a move. Clearly not ready. And going to Manchester as a South London lad is massive, let alone Manchester Utd as a Palace player.

Since returning he has grown as a player, to the point where he finally looks like he is putting it all together, and comments like this only reinforce that for me.

Absolutely stunned that a player - even if he is 19 - going to a big club and thinking it's ok to want to do tricks and not worry about end product, recovery, consistency etc. I'm sure he's exaggerating for effect slightly but its amazing to me that someone could be that thick with that opportunity that they have been given. Did he not think 'hmmm...better start taking this a bit more seriously now?' or did no one in his entourage say to him 'if you want to succeed here, you need to do X'.

I will never understand it. He has the hard stuff, the almost unlearnable, natural skill that not many other people alive will ever be able to have. Why not just add the professionalism? Why did it take moving back to his first club for him to realise it? Just really baffling to me.

Absolutely stunned that a player - even if he is 19 - going to a big club and thinking it's ok to want to do tricks and not worry about end product, recovery, consistency etc. I'm sure he's exaggerating for effect slightly but its amazing to me that someone could be that thick with that opportunity that they have been given. Did he not think 'hmmm...better start taking this a bit more seriously now?' or did no one in his entourage say to him 'if you want to succeed here, you need to do X'.

I will never understand it. He has the hard stuff, the almost unlearnable, natural skill that not many other people alive will ever be able to have. Why not just add the professionalism? Why did it take moving back to his first club for him to realise it? Just really baffling to me.

He is from Croydon ;):D

I think he got short changed in being stuck under Moyes, then farmed out on loan.

Not all Moyes fault, going into a club during a period of such transition - things easily fall through the gaps.

And, most likely, he was a punk teenager who needed to grow up. By his own admission. Which it seems he has - and the improvement in his game would seem to bear that out.

Imagine, with this newfound maturity, what a coach like Poch could do with him?

As you say, the talent he has is brilliant, add to that some real coaching and I think he can be incredible.

Andy Sinton and ruel fox were good players at other clubs

That's what I meant. They were comparable signings then to Zaha now - tailsmen for bottom half teams who cost big money (IIRC Sinton was about £3m, Fox over £4m; which was a lot in those days)

Back