• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Yves Bissouma

Strike charge, my bad, misunderstanding on my part.

I think the rest of my post stands none the less.

Should we also think about not communicating with posters on here who have been arrested before at any time? Regardless of whether they were found guilty or paid their penalty? And should we never sign players who've been arrested?

Personally, I find it uncomfortable when people invoke political correctness using their own pre-judgments/prejudice. How can one get on a high horse about morals when showing prejudice and going against our basic legal morals of innocent until proven guilty? I just find that curious.

Should we also think about not communicating with posters on here who have been arrested before at any time? Regardless of whether they were found guilty or paid their penalty? And should we never sign players who've been arrested?

Personally, I find it uncomfortable when people invoke political correctness using their own pre-judgments/prejudice. How can one get on a high horse about morals when showing prejudice and going against our basic legal morals of innocent until proven guilty? I just find that curious.

On what the club should do in those situations I think is an interesting moral question that deserves some time on here.

What has been done is part of the question. I think we all can think of some crimes where we wouldn't want to sign a player if convicted.

I'm not sure a "not communicating with someone arrested at any time" is a particularly useful comparison. Do you really think that's what myself or milo is suggesting? How is that comparable to what we're talking about here?

You lost me at political correctness... What would you like the club to do in this situation? Innocent until proven guilty so try to sign him if we would have tried if this wasn't hanging over him?

I think you are confusing your personal view with what is a PR judgement call by any club.

Bissouma is a quality player, the fact that no one is sniffing is a huge red flag, and this isn't about pre-judgement/prejudice, this is about risk/reward trade off, the brick PR that could come with buying a player that has some lack of clarity (shall we say) around his conduct, should he be charged, should other incidents pop up, it's not a good look for any club.

Part of your value as a modern player today is the package, what you bring negative or positive beyond your ability, it's why Weghorst plays for Burnley, because no matter how desperate clubs are for decent strikers, no one wants to deal with an anti-vaxxer nutter and the brick show that brings (logistics/PR/risk/etc.)

On what the club should do in those situations I think is an interesting moral question that deserves some time on here.

What has been done is part of the question. I think we all can think of some crimes where we wouldn't want to sign a player if convicted.

I'm not sure a "not communicating with someone arrested at any time" is a particularly useful comparison. Do you really think that's what myself or milo is suggesting? How is that comparable to what we're talking about here?

You lost me at political correctness... What would you like the club to do in this situation? Innocent until proven guilty so try to sign him if we would have tried if this wasn't hanging over him?

I think you are confusing your personal view with what is a PR judgement call by any club.

Bissouma is a quality player, the fact that no one is sniffing is a huge red flag, and this isn't about pre-judgement/prejudice, this is about risk/reward trade off, the brick PR that could come with buying a player that has some lack of clarity (shall we say) around his conduct, should he be charged, should other incidents pop up, it's not a good look for any club.

Part of your value as a modern player today is the package, what you bring negative or positive beyond your ability, it's why Weghorst plays for Burnley, because no matter how desperate clubs are for decent strikers, no one wants to deal with an anti-vaxxer nutter and the brick show that brings (logistics/PR/risk/etc.)

Not my confusion. I was reacting to the suggestion it was in poor taste to discuss Bussouma on here. If that is the case for someone who has been arrested, and not charged, let alone found guilty, do we extend the same morals to our day to day? That was all. Can move on.

Reactions: DTA
@milo out of interest, did you think it was distasteful that Bissouma was played week in, week out by Graham Potter? Do you think Bissouma should have been suspended in the same way Mendy was?
And did it affect your opinion of Potter and whether he'd be suitable for a possible manager's job here in future?

@milo out of interest, did you think it was distasteful that Bissouma was played week in, week out by Graham Potter? Do you think Bissouma should have been suspended in the same way Mendy was?
And did it affect your opinion of Potter and whether he'd be suitable for a possible manager's job here in future?

I think that it is an interesting one. The closest recent parallel that I can think of is Emirates Marketing Project still playing Mendy when he had been arrested for rape. I think that Emirates Marketing Project made the wrong choice, as I think Brighton are now, albeit with a lesser offence. I would be suspended from my job if I was arrested for a serious sexual or violent offence and I suspect that the same is true of most of us.

I haven't given any thought on how it reflects on Potter and I do not know enough about how Brighton are structured to know whose call it would be.

I think that it is an interesting one. The closest recent parallel that I can think of is Emirates Marketing Project still playing Mendy when he had been arrested for rape. I think that Emirates Marketing Project made the wrong choice, as I think Brighton are now, albeit with a lesser offence. I would be suspended from my job if I was arrested for a serious sexual or violent offence and I suspect that the same is true of most of us.

I haven't given any thought on how it reflects on Potter and I do not know enough about how Brighton are structured to know whose call it would be.

that's reasonable, but, if I was suspended by my employer under such an accusation, and later exonerated, I'd sue the hell out of them for the mental anguish and further stain on my character that their lack of faith suggested

Is Bissouma facing jail time?

We are a football club, how much concern over players public reputation should we be concerned about?

Sent from my SM-T865 using Fapatalk

Not my confusion. I was reacting to the suggestion it was in poor taste to discuss Bussouma on here. If that is the case for someone who has been arrested, and not charged, let alone found guilty, do we extend the same morals to our day to day? That was all. Can move on.

To me at least the distasteful part is if it's being discussed as if this isn't hanging over him.

I think it has just been put to one side by people discussing him as a target - obviously if there's any truth to the allegations he should under no circumstances be considered and people are working on the assumption he is found to have been innocent.

Back