• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Your memories of Spurs in finals

The three that I've been to :

1982 League Cup Final. Me and my Dad. We were leading until the final few minutes when Ronnie Whelan equalised. He scored again in extra time to win it for Liverpool. My dad, an Irishman, seemed to take it personally that another Irishman had been responsible for our loss. For years and years after he was outraged at that. All a bit of an odd over-reaction as he was a very easy going person normally, but mention that final or Ronnie Whelan and his hackles engaged and ducking for cover for best advised.

1984 UEFA Cup Final. Me and Dad again. What can I say. An unbelievable night. The quality of the game is irrelevant now. There is nothing like winning a trophy on your home ground and I feel so privileged to have witnessed it. I can't even begin to describe the euphoria. The pelanty shoot-out was so, so, so tense. I had a yellow and blue striped hat and I non-figuratively chewed a hole in it. I still have the hat-with-the-hole. The singing for Danny Thomas was incredible and it brings me out in goose-bumps even thinking of it now.

1987 FA Cup Final. I was a student, studying abroad in France. Applied for a ticket as a member, I remember my mum telling me on the phone I'd got a ticket in the post. Being a poor student I had to travel home by the cheap coach route. My boyfriend at the time was a Chelsea fan (yes, I know, I don't have a good track record in that respect) but fortunately most of his mates were Spurs fans, so I blagged a lift with them to Wembley. Lost in extra time to an unfortunate OG. Back in the pub at home afterwards I recall non-Spurs fans hilariously offering to buy me a Gynn-and- Tonic. (For those unaware, Mickey Gynn was a Coventry player).

Other finals have been watched at home or in the pub. For the CL Final I went to Madrid and watched it in a bar. Without doubt the most expensive 90 minutes of football ever. And the most disappointing. But I'd do it again at the drop of a hat, given the chance.

Edit Forgot to add the 1982 FA Cup final replay v QPR. I recall queuing for hours around the outside of WHL for a ticket. It was my sister's first even Spurs game and I think she only ever went to one after that. II've always felt it was a waste of a ticket that should have gone to a true supporter.

That game was enough to put anyone off football for life, I thought after the dreadful first game it could only get better but it was worse.

The three that I've been to :

1982 League Cup Final. Me and my Dad. We were leading until the final few minutes when Ronnie Whelan equalised. He scored again in extra time to win it for Liverpool. My dad, an Irishman, seemed to take it personally that another Irishman had been responsible for our loss. For years and years after he was outraged at that. All a bit of an odd over-reaction as he was a very easy going person normally, but mention that final or Ronnie Whelan and his hackles engaged and ducking for cover for best advised.

1984 UEFA Cup Final. Me and Dad again. What can I say. An unbelievable night. The quality of the game is irrelevant now. There is nothing like winning a trophy on your home ground and I feel so privileged to have witnessed it. I can't even begin to describe the euphoria. The pelanty shoot-out was so, so, so tense. I had a yellow and blue striped hat and I non-figuratively chewed a hole in it. I still have the hat-with-the-hole. The singing for Danny Thomas was incredible and it brings me out in goose-bumps even thinking of it now.

1987 FA Cup Final. I was a student, studying abroad in France. Applied for a ticket as a member, I remember my mum telling me on the phone I'd got a ticket in the post. Being a poor student I had to travel home by the cheap coach route. My boyfriend at the time was a Chelsea fan (yes, I know, I don't have a good track record in that respect) but fortunately most of his mates were Spurs fans, so I blagged a lift with them to Wembley. Lost in extra time to an unfortunate OG. Back in the pub at home afterwards I recall non-Spurs fans hilariously offering to buy me a Gynn-and- Tonic. (For those unaware, Mickey Gynn was a Coventry player).

Other finals have been watched at home or in the pub. For the CL Final I went to Madrid and watched it in a bar. Without doubt the most expensive 90 minutes of football ever. And the most disappointing. But I'd do it again at the drop of a hat, given the chance.

Edit Forgot to add the 1982 FA Cup final replay v QPR. I recall queuing for hours around the outside of WHL for a ticket. It was my sister's first even Spurs game and I think she only ever went to one after that. II've always felt it was a waste of a ticket that should have gone to a true supporter.

Ask your Dad if one of the prime reasons he gets angry about '82 LCF is the horrendous foul Souness committed on Galvin early doors. It was disgusting. I asked Galvin about it many years later and he said in today's game he'd have been subbed and out for a month.

Finals I have been to...

'81 both games. Magic.
'82 LCF. Woe.
'84 UEFA Cup Final 2nd leg. Wonderous.
2009 LCF. Bitter.
2019. CLF...simply the greatest and saddest day as a supporter.

Every other final I have seen on telly live. COYS

1981. Two years after my first and only visit to White Hart Lane. Wearing the white, navy blue and gold Spurs scarf I bought on that visit in a bar just off the campus of Ryerson University in downtown Toronto. Watching that dramatic conclusion - and STILLL Ricky Veeelya! - getting up on a chair and twirling my scarf overhead as my delightful French Canadian female companion looks up in a mix of shock and wonder at who she's keeping company with.

Well, she'll be my company for the 2021 League Cup final. We married in 1989, raised two great kids and still very much in love.

And I still have that scarf, which I will twirl jubilantly if we win.

Watched the '08 win at what was then Spurs Canada's HQ, Scallywags bar in midtown Toronto. Great, rowdy crowd, beers aplenty, singing and sausage rolls.

2019. Watched the CL final at the latest Spurs HQ, Scotland Yard, in downtown Toronto. Great afternoon hanging out with my son. We got good seats and met an assortment of Spurs fans. Good food, good drink, plenty of chat about the club's history. And then - PENALTY! Pretty grim viewing the rest of the day. Still, I'll have a smile at getting to hang out with the boy and immerse him in Spurs culture while meeting good people.

So I’ve just watched the 2008 final again to get me in the mood. What an amazing game that was and we were bloody excellent too. Incredible atmosphere and end to end stuff. It’s said nowhere near enough, but Alan Parry really is one of the best commentators in the business. He so so good at reading, complementing and adding to the mood of a game, without ever becoming the centre of attention. He really should’ve got the main gig off Tyler. Berba absolutely beasted the Chavs back line in the air, no mean feat! I’d forgotten Zokora’s 1-on-1 miss(es) too! 4 mins injury time at end of second half of ET too! WTAF?!?!

One question - would we have got the pen with today’s interpretation of the law? I think so, but I’d be interested in opinions.

91, 99, 02 - Watched at home on my own. I remember some Gazza moments from 91, semi final and final, and of course the run for the winner in 99.

08 - Flew over to London with a mate and watched it in a packed Bricklayers. When I say packed, I mean packed. You couldn't move anywhere, but somehow pitchers of beer kept appearing. When we scored the winner the whole place went nuts. Someone managed to knock down the decoder from its shelf and we never got any replays. Had we even scored? After what must have been the longest two minutes ever one of the staff managed to get picture back on and we could suffer some of the most nerve-racking minutes ever spent watching Spurs. Afterwards it was celebration time and hugging complete strangers. People all along the High Road joining in on the festivities.

09, 15 - Watched in the local Spurs pub with all the other Spurs fans in the area. Win or lose, we always have the best party. I remember the United fans disappearing within seconds of the final whistle while we carried on until the landlord kicked us out.

19 - Since the world is full of plastic scousers we couldn't get a seat at our usual place. Instead we had a conference room at a local hotel set up for Spurs fans only to watch the game. Spent the day drinking beer in the sun (slightly chillier than in Madrid, but great day nonetheless). Less said about the actual match the better.

I have still not and will ever watch even 1 minute of the 2019 CL final again
It still upsets me now thinking about it and I need nothing but positive vibes today
They say time heals, but the longer time goes on with that one the more painful it seems to get.

The exception that proves the rule, dammit.

My first memory was 1987. My brother had persuaded me to support Spurs a couple of years earlier and that Cup Final was my first big Spurs memory.

"We can't lose, it's only Coventry"

"We've never lost An FA Cup final and won 7".

"We have a striker who has scored 48 goals already."

Clive Allen scores within a couple of minutes so it's all going to plan. Then Spursiness is born.

It couldnt get worse than that surely. The next year Jimmy Greaves said "The only trouble Spurs will have today is finding Port Vale's ground..."

I remember we played City in a final at some point in the early 2020's but I'm not quite sure when or what happened... as far as I recall it was a tight game and we did OK, it was only 1-0 which reflected how well we did, given their £1.5bn cash injection

21 League Cup final, at home. Knew when I saw the City team that we would have only a tiny chance, but was still pretty nervous throughout. Once they scored it was over. Could not believe it that after Madrid, we would again be talking about Sissoko. Like that final, I watched this one with my now 12-year old son (who has no recollection of Mason the player). He kept saying that we could not win. Well, duh. Last time we won something he was not born yet.

I said to my mate who I watched it with, I would have preferred City to score in the first ten mins then the last 10, I could have accepted our fate early on and not got my hopes up but that’s Tottenham for you, they get your hopes up lol. I started to think it could be our day as City were dominant but weren’t taking their chances.

I didn’t expect us to win today, but I’ve come to accept that we just don’t turn up in finals. I have no tangible way to measure or prove this, but I feel Leicester would have given a better account of themselves than we did today, and I’m not totally convinced they have better players than we do. Even fudging West Ham would have turned in a better showing, not saying either team would have necessarily won the game. Just to clarify, I don’t “expect” us to beat teams like City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea (our last four opponents in finals), but it would be nice if we actually turned up in a final every now and then. We haven’t scored a single goal in our last four finals now. That, to me smacks of something more troubling. No one individually or collectively drags the team forward when we are playing badly. The only players that turned up in the CL final I felt were Rose and Winks.

If there was a team in English football you would describe as a major prick tease, it would be Spurs.

I said to my mate who I watched it with, I would have preferred City to score in the first ten mins then the last 10, I could have accepted our fate early on and not got my hopes up but that’s Tottenham for you, they get your hopes up lol. I started to think it could be our day as City were dominant but weren’t taking their chances.

I didn’t expect us to win today, but I’ve come to accept that we just don’t turn up in finals. I have no tangible way to measure or prove this, but I feel Leicester would have given a better account of themselves than we did today, and I’m not totally convinced they have better players than we do. Even fudging West Ham would have turned in a better showing, not saying either team would have necessarily won the game. Just to clarify, I don’t “expect” us to beat teams like City, Liverpool, United and Chelsea (our last four opponents in finals), but it would be nice if we actually turned up in a final every now and then. We haven’t scored a single goal in our last four finals now. That, to me smacks of something more troubling. No one individually or collectively drags the team forward when we are playing badly. The only players that turned up in the CL final I felt were Rose and Winks.

If there was a team in English football you would describe as a major prick tease, it would be Spurs.

I agree, now my opinion is somewhat stymied today because I didn't see the game, but I've read the match thread and seen the stats, the xG was horrific, far worse than our previous meeting where we lost 3-0.

For all of the other finals (and semi's) I have seen though I think you are spot on, it's rare for us to get a result, it's rare for us to even look like getting back into a game when we fall behind, it's like the players expect to lose, so when it starts happening it's actually a comfort to them, and they embrace it.

I agree, now my opinion is somewhat stymied today because I didn't see the game, but I've read the match thread and seen the stats, the xG was horrific, far worse than our previous meeting where we lost 3-0.

For all of the other finals (and semi's) I have seen though I think you are spot on, it's rare for us to get a result, it's rare for us to even look like getting back into a game when we fall behind, it's like the players expect to lose, so when it starts happening it's actually a comfort to them, and they embrace it.

Yep. I’m not blaming anyone individually or singling players out, but we have numerous players who have been involved in finals on more than one occasion but the performances don’t ever seem to improve. It’s not necessarily just about winning them because as we saw today, City dominated the game but it took them 80 mins to score and the goal came from a set piece which isn’t the norm for them. Wouldn’t have been out of the question for us to nick a goal on the counter. It’s happened in finals before. But we didn’t create anything or threaten them at all. Playing in finals isn’t unknown territory for this group of players now.

I think possibly we’re going through a similar patch to Arsenal when they didn’t win anything for 9 years. They only just about got over the line in extra time against Hull when they won the FA cup, now they have won 4 in 7 years. I believe we are going to need a similar run of fortune, in other words, be drawn against a team worse than us in the final so we can get the monkey off our backs. It is unfortunate that our last 5 finals have come against Chelsea twice, United, Liverpool and City but that’s the way it goes. Sooner or later you will probably come up against a very good team if you want to win a cup competition.

Yep. I’m not blaming anyone individually or singling players out, but we have numerous players who have been involved in finals on more than one occasion but the performances don’t ever seem to improve. It’s not necessarily just about winning them because as we saw today, City dominated the game but it took them 80 mins to score and the goal came from a set piece which isn’t the norm for them. Wouldn’t have been out of the question for us to nick a goal on the counter. It’s happened in finals before. But we didn’t create anything or threaten them at all. Playing in finals isn’t unknown territory for this group of players now.

I think possibly we’re going through a similar patch to Arsenal when they didn’t win anything for 9 years. They only just about got over the line in extra time against Hull when they won the FA cup, now they have won 4 in 7 years. I believe we are going to need a similar run of fortune, in other words, be drawn against a team worse than us in the final so we can get the monkey off our backs. It is unfortunate that our last 5 finals have come against Chelsea twice, United, Liverpool and City but that’s the way it goes. Sooner or later you will probably come up against a very good team if you want to win a cup competition.

could be, the obvious contrast with arsenals run is that it was often rank incompetence which did for them, whereas with us its more rank indifference

could be, the obvious contrast with arsenals run is that it was often rank incompetence which did for them, whereas with us its more rank indifference

Yeah I can’t put my finger on what exactly the problem is. Most likely multiple factors. I think the squad depth or lack of it doesn’t help, but then the players on the pitch who started the game have played in finals before as I said previously, this is not unknown territory for most of our squad of players. I think winning is a habit, that probably goes for not winning or not getting over the line. Poor tactics and team selections haven’t helped either, I’ll never understand why Ndombele didn’t start unless he was injured. I’ve said many times I don’t believe we cope well with any kind of pressure or expectations.

Back