• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Your love for spurs versus your love for football?

Love my sport football and cricket. Follow Spurs and watch all teams with varying amounts of concentration. If you don't watch other teams you have no reference points to our displays.
But rule no 1 - don't take it too seriously and keep a losing sulks to under 90mins. Above all enjoy!

I've been thinking about this but the best articulation of what a club is was made by a man who was a gentleman and a football man but who sometimes had trouble properly articulating himself - Sir Bobby Robson. The quote is beautiful and absolutely sums it up for me:

“What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes.

It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city. It’s a small boy clambering up the stadium steps for the very first time, gripping his father’s hand, gawping at that hallowed stretch of turf beneath him, and without being able to do a thing about it, falling in love.”

I loved football as a kid and went to a lot matches, mainly rangers, a good few celtic a couple of thistle games and even a St mirren game once. Was always running after ball, football was everything.
Only ever managed one game at the lane six years ago and tbh I couldn't believe how much I miss live football. But I just can't watch anyone but spurs now, even watching a big CL game I just can't get up for it and I've been like that for about 15 years, if not longer.
Football as I know it is dead and if it wasn't for spurs I wouldn't bother at all.
Its been difficult to get excited about us since the CL final defeat, always said I don't follow spurs for the winning but because there's just something that resonates with me, its part of me in a way, but that defeat scarred me in a way I never thought possible. it left a bitter bitter taste.
But its not only football, I'm a golfer and would avidly watch all the golf on tv, then it was just the Majors, then just the Open and tge masters. Even that dwindled to just the weekend play, now I watch it on the last day if I'm in and not doing anything else, but won't go out my way to watch it.
In trying to attract new people to the sport they have tampered with rules and messed it up.
Sport for me has lost its sparkle, but Spurs have not lost their lustre.

I loved football as a kid and went to a lot matches, mainly rangers, a good few celtic a couple of thistle games and even a St mirren game once. Was always running after ball, football was everything.
Only ever managed one game at the lane six years ago and tbh I couldn't believe how much I miss live football. But I just can't watch anyone but spurs now, even watching a big CL game I just can't get up for it and I've been like that for about 15 years, if not longer.
Football as I know it is dead and if it wasn't for spurs I wouldn't bother at all.
Its been difficult to get excited about us since the CL final defeat, always said I don't follow spurs for the winning but because there's just something that resonates with me, its part of me in a way, but that defeat scarred me in a way I never thought possible. it left a bitter bitter taste.
But its not only football, I'm a golfer and would avidly watch all the golf on tv, then it was just the Majors, then just the Open and tge masters. Even that dwindled to just the weekend play, now I watch it on the last day if I'm in and not doing anything else, but won't go out my way to watch it.
In trying to attract new people to the sport they have tampered with rules and messed it up.
Sport for me has lost its sparkle, but Spurs have not lost their lustre.

I hear you on that because I've gone through something similar. I think that's just getting older for me and not having quite as much time or not being quite as impressionable. I'm also a 41 year old office worker so I've kind of given up on my dreams of playing for Spurs or on the PGA Tour.

On the golf, when I was young, I loved watching Bernhard Langer and even guys like Faldo, Seve, Woosnam and Ollie. I could name any major winner from 1985 to 2005. But life just took over and, while I still love golf, I just don't connect with today's stars like I did when I was younger and don't have the time to watch them.

All that said, when you strip everything away, I still love both games immensely. There are just other priorities in life now.

I hear you on that because I've gone through something similar. I think that's just getting older for me and not having quite as much time or not being quite as impressionable. I'm also a 41 year old office worker so I've kind of given up on my dreams of playing for Spurs or on the PGA Tour.

On the golf, when I was young, I loved watching Bernhard Langer and even guys like Faldo, Seve, Woosnam and Ollie. I could name any major winner from 1985 to 2005. But life just took over and, while I still love golf, I just don't connect with today's stars like I did when I was younger and don't have the time to watch them.

All that said, when you strip everything away, I still love both games immensely. There are just other priorities in life now.

Golf and tennis have been over taken by power imo.
There's no guile or strategy any more, when Phil finally hangs up his sticks there will be no shot makers left.
Tennis is the same, not watched for a while but the last player I enjoyed watching was hingis.

Oh yeah, and I'm 52 now so I need to think about getting my act together for the senior tour before it's too late.

Last edited:
The CL defeat was a massive body blow, it really felt like all the years of frustration would come to a beautiful perfect storm of us winning a CL we were almost out of so many times, against all odds with a universally popular manager who’d delivered success on a shoe string, possibly with an academy graduate scoring the winner.

With the early goal as well there wasn’t even a lot of time to dream, just 90 minutes of dreading the inevitable.

Now I just dream about attending a match again! It will be Sod’s law for us to win a trophy with no tickets available, although it might mean I’m the jinx!

Last edited:
How could you not enjoy last night, you miserable gits.
I watched the second half on delay and actually got a bit goose-bumpy with the crowd noise. For some reason, some random bunch of lithe, athletic, strong, fit men, in a certain shirt (that changes every year) are so attractive to me. I love the club, I love the experiences I've had (highs and lows, successes and disappointments) and that I will continue to have. I got to be friendly with @Yermiyahu , and we all know how much this club meant to him, up until the very end. And he would have loved last night.

Kiss my hairy arse.

Are you young? Tonight I hate young people and what you did to my game of football.

Young to a 70 year old. Old to a teenager.

I hope you feel better in the morning and join with the near-entirety of Tottenham fans who are feeling mighty optimistic about the coming months now.

This is a thread about love, not hate. Plenty other outlets for anger & rage elsewhere.
This is a place for hope, wistful thinking, joy, regret and belonging

6eb11a9f2e19652820d612a5d152fcb5.jpg

I think if we could have won the champions league final then maybe I would have walked away from it all.

I said this before the final myself.

50 years of watching Tottenham and Warrington RLFC and neither of my teams has ever been the Champions and I said, although it wasnt the league title if we won the Champions League I dont think it would get any better than that.

Due to bankrolled clubs I doubt i will see us win the league in my lifetime, the 'Leicester season' was the massive chance we were so good. Getting in Mourinho has given me a little bit more hope, but if he cant do it I am not sure who can for the forseeable future

I said this before the final myself.

50 years of watching Tottenham and Warrington RLFC and neither of my teams has ever been the Champions and I said, although it wasnt the league title if we won the Champions League I dont think it would get any better than that.

Due to bankrolled clubs I doubt i will see us win the league in my lifetime, the 'Leicester season' was the massive chance we were so good. Getting in Mourinho has given me a little bit more hope, but if he cant do it I am not sure who can for the forseeable future

To be honest i have more or less accepted that as well, as you say now we have Jose i really can see us winning cups going forward but i am not sure about seeing the title come our way.

We can live in hope though ( pretty much what i have been doing for a long time as well)

I have no problem admitting that if it weren't for Spurs, I probably wouldn't follow football at all. It's more like a show now than proper sports, at least on the highest level. Everything is set up to benefit the rich and popular - even if they're not the best - so that the cash flows and ratings increase. FFP, VAR, handball rule, it's all tools to bias the game. Award it wrongfully the other way from time to time, when Utd is 5-0 up, to maintain an illusion of justice. Read somewhere (probably on here) that Liverpool would have ended 9th last season if it weren't for the penalties, and we've all seen what kind of penalties they were awarded (and avoided). And where's the logic in penalizing a defender for a ball hitting his arm, while allowing diving, feigning injuries, shirt pulling, willfully and wrongfully appealing for penalites, free kicks, corners, week after week, season after season? It's part of the game they say, much like kicking your opponent in the nuts in boxing.

At least the NBA, like "wrestling" doesn't try to hide the fact that it's the money, not the game. They even call it "franchises", because that's what it is. Last years final had a Canadian team, the ratings dropped 50% and the NBA lost millions. Probably won't see the Raptors in any final agan soon.

Back