• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Your love for spurs versus your love for football?

Danishfurniturelover

the prettiest spice girl
Like all of us I can never give up Tottenham, though I found myself more and more watching less of our games or walking out.

Still watching my french sunday evening games. But where as my interest in football was total before. I now feel like I'm losing some of my love for the game. I dont want to turn this into a VAR thread because I dont know if it is just that.

Anyone else been falling out of love with the game?

Like all of us I can never give up Tottenham, though I found myself more and more watching less of our games or walking out.

Still watching my french sunday evening games. But where as my interest in football was total before. I now feel like I'm losing some of my love for the game. I dont want to turn this into a VAR thread because I dont know if it is just that.

VAR thread starts here.

No, we're finally getting there.

I don't take in as much coverage as I used to, mainly because you can't find a football show/podcast/article that doesn't fallate the dippers or Guardiola at every opportunity.

Keep telling myself not to let football bother me as much as it does at the start of every year. And tbf i care less and less with each year. That said, as much as I loved watching the Poch years I also felt a little demoralised seeing us come so close and fall at short so many times. Should be used to disappointment as a spurs fan :D

As for football in general I still love the euros and World Cup but I don’t celebrate goals anymore as I half expect VAR to disallow it. The idea of VAR is a game changer but the execution has been dreadful. I swear they actually look for reasons to disallow a goal or give a penalty rather than eliminate howlers which is the whole bloody point.

Keep telling myself not to let football bother me as much as it does at the start of every year. And tbf i care less and less with each year. That said, as much as I loved watching the Poch years I also felt a little demoralised seeing us come so close and fall at short so many times. Should be used to disappointment as a spurs fan :D

As for football in general I still love the euros and World Cup but I don’t celebrate goals anymore as I half expect VAR to disallow it. The idea of VAR is a game changer but the execution has been dreadful. I swear they actually look for reasons to disallow a goal or give a penalty rather than eliminate howlers which is the whole bloody point.

VAR is still very much in its infancy.
Cricket has been using it for 15 years plus and they are still improving it.

Hardly watch anything other than Spurs matches and only occasionally check any results from competitions we're not in. The constant overhyping and narrative based commentary by complete imbeciles has really killed my interest in football. Oh, and financial dopers.

I agree, although I do think that we wouldn't have found it so easy to get to the top table had it not been for financial doping, United had to take their eyes off of us and stop nicking our best player every season to keep us at arms length, they squabbled amongst themselves over quick fixes whilst we built something. Had instant success not been so important Chelsea maybe wouldn't have cast aside AVB either.

I love Tottenham but I feel indifferent about watching them. I’d like us to win something but I’m not too bothered if we do or not. I know that sounds weird but I think it’s in line with my total apathy towards modern football with all its unnecessary hype

The premier league adopting the latest handball ruling this season and the nonsense that has followed hadn’t helped either

I love Tottenham but I feel indifferent about watching them. I’d like us to win something but I’m not too bothered if we do or not. I know that sounds weird but I think it’s in line with my total apathy towards modern football with all its unnecessary hype

The premier league adopting the latest handball ruling this season and the nonsense that has followed hadn’t helped either

I think if we could have won the champions league final then maybe I would have walked away from it all.

VAR is still very much in its infancy.
Cricket has been using it for 15 years plus and they are still improving it.

The implementation has been appalling so far. I accept it is in its infancy as you say, they are massively overcomplicating it though. The system was designed to eliminate howlers but it feels like they are going out of their way to find reasons to disallow goals. That’s not how it should be. I wish there was a 60 second time limit to make a decision. If they can’t find anything wrong with the goal then it should stand.

Hardly watch anything other than Spurs matches and only occasionally check any results from competitions we're not in. The constant overhyping and narrative based commentary by complete imbeciles has really killed my interest in football. Oh, and financial dopers.

It is so over hyped isn't. I even have the mute button on during games.

One of the kids at work said he liked our 'spurs' cam took me ages to figure out he meant central attacking midfielder. I just hate the whole language around football.

Yep, more and more each season.

The implementation has been appalling so far. I accept it is in its infancy as you say, they are massively overcomplicating it though. The system was designed to eliminate howlers but it feels like they are going out of their way to find reasons to disallow goals. That’s not how it should be. I wish there was a 60 second time limit to make a decision. If they can’t find anything wrong with the goal then it should stand.

Agree but it will need time for the mistakes to be made as they always will be, then sorted. The current handball farce is an example. Give it time!

I think if we could have won the champions league final then maybe I would have walked away from it all.

I know what you mean. Even for that game though, the biggest one in our history, I was nervous and desperately wanted us to win but the fact we lost didn’t bother me that much. Maybe that’s just getting older, I don’t know

I was genuinely excited when mourinho got the job and thought I’d try to get back into watching a bit more football as a whole but come his first match, I didn’t bother and now only watch us if there’s nothing else to do

Football, to me, is still the most beautiful thing in the world. Yeah some of the rules are screwing it up, some of the hype is tiresome, the financial doping is frustrating and the play acting is a turn off. But at its core, the game is still wonderful and elicits emotion like no other sport can. Watching a Modric or Xavi move the ball. Watching Messi or Ronaldo weave their magic. Watching a Ledley King stop opponents with an elegant aggression that illustrates the artistry of defending when it’s done so well.

The emotional roller coaster of supporting Spurs. Have you ever, in your life, felt the range of emotions in such a short period of time as you did in the CL quarter final at City. What about Amsterdam? That burst of euphoria as Moura scored his third? And yet, Spurs being Spurs, tinkled all over it with their no show for the final. The stomach churning disappointment of that game still runs deep. It always will but I can put it away in the locker with the semi finals, the 87 cup final, the failure to win a title with our best team in a generation and countless more disappointments. And I know I’ll be back for more because your team is one of the few things that are for life. I still look forward to every weekend we play. Who will Jose play? Is this the week we click? Is this the weekend Ndombele becomes the player I know he can be? I can’t wait to see Sonny, Kane and GLC together. And I enjoy sharing that excitement, frustration and conflicting opinions with like minded people on here.

But even if I doubt all that, I still play on Monday nights. I’m 41 and overweight but there are few pleasures like getting out there and trying to play for an hour. The one that beats it is watching my son play. I help out with coaching his team and the joy at seeing him pick a pass or do a drag back is hard to describe. The incredible satisfaction of a bunch of 8 year olds stringing 9 or 10 passes together is such a rewarding experience. It genuinely stirs something inside.

Some of the peripheral stuff tinkles me off but I believe I’ll always love Spurs and I’ll always be emotionally invested because I’ve loved the club for as long as I can literally remember. But even if that went away I don’t think anything could have me watch kids play the game well and not feel better for having seen it. And that’s why I’ll always love football.

I know what you mean. Even for that game though, the biggest one in our history, I was nervous and desperately wanted us to win but the fact we lost didn’t bother me that much. Maybe that’s just getting older, I don’t know

I was genuinely excited when mourinho got the job and thought I’d try to get back into watching a bit more football as a whole but come his first match, I didn’t bother and now only watch us if there’s nothing else to do

I’m not ashamed to admit I was distraught after we lost that final. That whole campaign in Europe evoked a lot of emotions for me. The final was very close to 10 years after my Dad passed away which I have finally got to the stage that it doesn’t upset me that much anymore but the whole anniversary coupled with losing that game was just too much for me to the point where I switched my phone off after the game for about 2 hours, I didn’t even want to talk to my partner who was trying to call me after the game. I don’t want to put myself through that ever again tbh so I try very hard to detach myself from Spurs and from the game as a whole with each passing year.

And now I’ll contradict myself entirely in admitting that I’ll be buzzing if we win a trophy anytime soon.

Back