• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

YOUR England 23 man World cup squad

What are the odds of the failed midfield duo of Lampard and Gerrard once again starting for England in a major tournament?

Picking just back and soon to injured again Wheelchair over Carrick. Talk about slap in the face.

the team looks like the italy squad. we used to have some big big names but now its full of players that football fans worldwide will not really know much about. and althought the actual quality of the players is more important than their reputation, when opposition players like up against the likes of lallana and henderson, it will give them a confidence boost.

At least there's a few names there that haven't already proved what failures they are on the international stage.

Glass half full kinda guy ;)

-------------------Hart--------------------
Johnson---Jagielka---Cahill------Baines
-----------------Gerrard------------------
---------Barkley---------Lallana---------
Sterling--------------------------Rooney
-----------------Sturridge-----------------

This is pretty much what I would go with bar perhaps putting Oxlade-Chamberlain on the left and starting Rooney up front. Although we do not have the same quality as the other big teams in the tournament, players like Shaw, Sturridge, Wheelchair and Welbeck are decent options to come on if we're chasing a goal/game.

I'm not sure England will do their normal wonderfully mediocre act this WC. I'm thinking either an absolute ****-show, resulting in finishing without a win, or a quite explosive group stage and couple of games in the knockout round, where our younger generation just play in a hung-ho PL style manner and reach the Semis 8-[

Last edited:
Almost half of the players in the squad have less than 10 international caps. That's a crazy amount of inexperience to take to what is the biggest competition in world football.

---------gerrard---------Wheelchair---------
oxlade---------lallana---------sturridge
-------------rooney-----------------

is how would start. since it hodgson tho, the shape will probably be more like 4-1-4-1. with all 5 midfielders sitting very deep.

---------gerrard---------Wheelchair---------
oxlade---------lallana---------sturridge
-------------rooney-----------------

is how would start. since it hodgson tho, the shape will probably be more like 4-1-4-1. with all 5 midfielders sitting very deep.

I think Milner will almost certainly start on the right and I don't know whether Lallana will start but other than that I pretty much agree

Does anyone rate Glen Johnson? I think even the scouse army have finally clocked that he's woefully inept and finally want to bin him off.

Does anyone rate Glen Johnson? I think even the scouse army have finally clocked that he's woefully inept and finally want to bin him off.

i do. although i can see why a lot of people question him. the thing is, if he was at a side like barcelona, i think he would be considered one of the best in the world. i remember seeing maxwell play for them, and because he could recycle the ball well from the left hand side, and wasn't put under significant pressure defensively, he looked fine. however when he was faced in 1v1 situations vs pacey wingers, he always looked suspect. also, i wonder just how good is dani alves defensively? if he played for a side like liverpool, i could see him being responsible for a number of defensive lapses.

i think glen johnson is more than just a fullback with pace and fitness. i think he's technically very accomplished too. i think he could maybe be up there with the likes of marcelo and dani alves

Wheelchair shouldn't be in there. His form even before the injury was ****e. He's been picked on rep only.

Smalling and Jones can also count themselves pretty lucky after indifferent seasons. The Utd brand still carries some weight I see.

---------------Hart---------------
Johnson---Cahill---Jagielka---Baines
-------------Gerrard--------------
-------Henderson--Lallana---------
Sterling-----Sturridge------Rooney

Simply put, play the Liverpool core and fill in the gaps. Those players are familiar with one another and know eachothers strengths etc, if I'm Hodgson that's how I'd go.

Wheelchair shouldn't be in there. His form even before the injury was ****e. He's been picked on rep only.

Smalling and Jones can also count themselves pretty lucky after indifferent seasons. The Utd brand still carries some weight I see.

i don't really agree that he was that bad. but even if he was, i think we place too much emphasis on club form. we should have the scolari approach on paulinho. "if player x's club form is bad, thats the club's problem, not the national team's". the national team should be looking to get as many quality players as they can working as a unit.

But yh smalling and jones are quite lucky i guess. they've not been too different to the likes of cleverley and carrick. its just that liverpool don't have any english centre backs lol. i think jones and smalling should definitely be in the squad tho. i can't see 2 other centre backs who are really better than them.

I'd do the same.

Hart in goal, Johnson (not much other choice), Cahill, Jagielka and Baines in defence, Gerrard sitting, Henderson and Lallana (both have covered more ground than most this season I saw in a stat) doing the legwork and water carrying in midfield, then Sterling, Sturridge and Rooney to be fluid and do the business up the other end. Barkley will be a useful sub cos I doubt other nations know much about him.

With Hodgson in charge I'd say it's more likely we see this against Italy:

HART JOHNSON JONES CAHILL JAGIELKA BAINES HENDERSON GERRARD LAMPARD MILNER WELBECK

The boring bastard!

Cleverley on standby worries me. :D

You could just see us giving the ball away like that and running ourselves into the ground trying to get it back though.. That's usually how England play and hasn't worked for a long time lol

True.

Thinking about the national team I think if I was a professional football player and got called up I'd say thanks but no thanks on the premise that I just can't be arsed.

i don't really agree that he was that bad. but even if he was, i think we place too much emphasis on club form. we should have the scolari approach on paulinho. "if player x's club form is bad, thats the club's problem, not the national team's". the national team should be looking to get as many quality players as they can working as a unit.

But yh smalling and jones are quite lucky i guess. they've not been too different to the likes of cleverley and carrick. its just that liverpool don't have any english centre backs lol. i think jones and smalling should definitely be in the squad tho. i can't see 2 other centre backs who are really better than them.

I agree but this has much more to do with the lack of quality English players than Jones' and Smallings own abilities and merits.

Back