• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

You'll win nothing with kids...

I agree 100% and academy players coming through gave me a passion back for Spurs that was being lost through bitterness at football over the last 5 years.

BUT saying that - we NEED to go out and get PL/experienced players and realistically that will cost us another 45m in today's market. The fact it is with a few more outgoings that wil be a 15m outlay that will help improve the team drastically, put bums on seats, help league position, improve academy players and convince some players to commit. That is the reality even with 10 academy players in the squad ........

The sad thing is I bet you this window is a let down and this season is a tough one. I hope I am wrong but every day that passes is hugely concerning

I don't think £45m is a realistic number to spend in addition to what we have spent already. I think "drastically" is over cooking it, and there are enough bums on seats so far.

As for if this window is a let down, my humble opinion is that those that will be let down will be the ones that had unrealistic expectations in the first place. Our team/squad will finish between 5-7th in the league and that's all we can realistically hope for. To hope for a higher position is almost like hoping for a big lottery win*

*an exaggeration.

I don't think £45m is a realistic number to spend in addition to what we have spent already. I think "drastically" is over cooking it, and there are enough bums on seats so far.

As for if this window is a let down, my humble opinion is that those that will be let down will be the ones that had unrealistic expectations in the first place. Our team/squad will finish between 5-7th in the league and that's all we can realistically hope for. To hope for a higher position is almost like hoping for a big lottery win*

*an exaggeration.

There are always a few who do so.

Thing is... I'm not sure anyone at the club thinks we will win anything with kids. I don't think they expect the kids to win anything at all; I think they expect Pochettino to turn the kids into a team that'll win things in 2 or 3 years. That's the thing with kids... they don't stay that way.

Doesn't mean I'm not hoping for a cup win this season. It's all about dreaming after all. But it's my genuine hope that Levy is not expecting miracles this year; that he has learnt from the past and is thinking "well, we're moving into the new stadium in 3 years, let's use that time to build a squad capable of challenging for the top honours. And let's use the old-fashioned approach - put a young coach together with a young squad and give them a few years to grow."

Here's an interesting thought... right now (with the departure of Soldado, and excluding the two players with no squad number) the average age of our outfield players is about 23. Our manager is 43.

Back in 1959 after Bill Nicholson had been in charge of Spurs for a few months, he turned 40. The average age of his squad (outfield players) was just under 25 (dropping to less than 24 and a half if you exclude "old man" Blanchflower, who - at 33 - was five years older than the next oldest player). It was a (fairly) young team with a young manager. They were still the best part of two seasons away from success.

Now, obviously times have changed. And I'm not comparing Pochettino to Nicholson, or the squad today to the double-winners.

However, I am pointing out that the last time we were unambiguously the best team in the England, and clearly part of Europe's elite, we got there by giving a young manager and a young squad enough time to grow and mature together.

As an aside; Nicholson was still tweaking the squad when the 1960/61 season kicked off and brought in 17-year old winger / wing-forward Frank Saul that summer (who later went on to score the winning goal for us in the 1967 FA Cup final).

I've actually heard some spurs fans tonight say that Villa and West Ham have better squads than us now

Moreno is the answer on the wing (it was bolassie a few weeks back)

We need to sign at least 3 more players or we won't make top 10

All the teams that finished below us have improved massively and will catch us easily

Such short term memories and clearly not a clue as to what we're actually doing IMO

Vila and west game don't have one player in their squad who would get in our 11 IMO

Moreno was shocking for most of last season but is now seen to be like Ronaldo

3 players would help but could easily rock the boat in numbers again

The only players that the teams below us have signed they I'm generally a fan of are Ayew and Cabaye... There two we should have gone for but clearly didn't fancy

It just amazes me how quickly the tide turn for a lot of our fans

we heard similar last year and look what happened

I fully agree with what the thread title says ! Kids are not going to win you anything ! Arsenal have found out about it over the years. The "buy-kids-first" policy are not going to bring any trophies unless you buy enough experienced players to guide them.

Back