• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

You'll win nothing with kids...

Genuinely stunned that some people think signings, signings, signings will be the answer to getting us where we need to be. It's not just Spurs fans though, I have fans of other clubs telling me they would be a bit worried about Spurs this season if they were me, but I have genuinely never been as comfortable with the direction we are heading as I am right now. It seems like we finally have a strategy, and are backing the right people to make it happen.

I think Redknapp, pointing out that we needed leaders, at that time wasn't wrong. He also got the best out of existing signings. But he began to run out of steam. You can't trust someone of his style to build for the future, because eventually he will need signings, and eventually other clubs will outspend us.

Did we learn nothing from selling Elvis and signing The Beatles? We had a boat load of signings that season and it ended up being one of the most disappointing and deflating in recent memory. Now we've got a crowd that is rocking again and we are genuinely unified behind the team, rather than having needless splits. The majority of people are getting behind our young team. And really, that's the only way we can hope to compete with teams that will always spend more than us. If we have young players that are fully bought in to what we are trying to achieve, are all talented and can all grow together, it is something that no other club can match, because we will have taken the time and effort to implement it in the best way. For years I've been thinking it's so obviously the best way for our club to compete, and I'm glad we are finally doing it. Levy is playing to his strengths, but we are ridding the squad of deadwood rather than keeping them on, and we have a manager that seems to enjoy developing young players. We will sign players, but it will be based on being smarter with analysis as opposed to connections with agents.

By the end of the transfer window we will have signed a number of good defenders to plug some obvious holes we had last season. If we can add Berahino to N'Jie we will have signed two young, pacey international strikers and will have shipped out two players that have for differing reasons been a hindrance to our attacking. And in midfield, we will have replaced expensive failures with talented youth. People should look at how Mason out-performed Paulinho last year to understand why signing for signings sake isn't always the way. But with that said, by the end of the window we will have likely plugged all obvious gaps in the squad. All players seem to fit a clear plan. They all fit a certain mould. Will there be bumps along the way? Yes, but even the defending champions have proved it isn't always plain sailing.

Chill out, guys who are unsure. Don't do the obvious knee jerk football fan reaction thing of claiming that a sweeping narrative has been justified because of a couple of recent results. Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. This is a club pulling in one direction and we are on the right track.

Genuinely stunned that some people think signings, signings, signings will be the answer to getting us where we need to be. It's not just Spurs fans though, I have fans of other clubs telling me they would be a bit worried about Spurs this season if they were me, but I have genuinely never been as comfortable with the direction we are heading as I am right now. It seems like we finally have a strategy, and are backing the right people to make it happen.

I think Redknapp, pointing out that we needed leaders, at that time wasn't wrong. He also got the best out of existing signings. But he began to run out of steam. You can't trust someone of his style to build for the future, because eventually he will need signings, and eventually other clubs will outspend us.

Did we learn nothing from selling Elvis and signing The Beatles? We had a boat load of signings that season and it ended up being one of the most disappointing and deflating in recent memory. Now we've got a crowd that is rocking again and we are genuinely unified behind the team, rather than having needless splits. The majority of people are getting behind our young team. And really, that's the only way we can hope to compete with teams that will always spend more than us. If we have young players that are fully bought in to what we are trying to achieve, are all talented and can all grow together, it is something that no other club can match, because we will have taken the time and effort to implement it in the best way. For years I've been thinking it's so obviously the best way for our club to compete, and I'm glad we are finally doing it. Levy is playing to his strengths, but we are ridding the squad of deadwood rather than keeping them on, and we have a manager that seems to enjoy developing young players. We will sign players, but it will be based on being smarter with analysis as opposed to connections with agents.

By the end of the transfer window we will have signed a number of good defenders to plug some obvious holes we had last season. If we can add Berahino to N'Jie we will have signed two young, pacey international strikers and will have shipped out two players that have for differing reasons been a hindrance to our attacking. And in midfield, we will have replaced expensive failures with talented youth. People should look at how Mason out-performed Paulinho last year to understand why signing for signings sake isn't always the way. But with that said, by the end of the window we will have likely plugged all obvious gaps in the squad. All players seem to fit a clear plan. They all fit a certain mould. Will there be bumps along the way? Yes, but even the defending champions have proved it isn't always plain sailing.

Chill out, guys who are unsure. Don't do the obvious knee jerk football fan reaction thing of claiming that a sweeping narrative has been justified because of a couple of recent results. Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. This is a club pulling in one direction and we are on the right track.

Great post! Agree with you 100%

The most unfortunate and laughable phrase uttered by someone connected with Spurs in a while.

I always thought it was Garth Crooks coined that phrase.

Going back to the kids, anyone remember the class of 2005/06?

Robinson, King, Dawson, Carrick, Jenas, Huddlestone, Lennon, Keane, Defoe

All 25 or younger and my word what a difference they made to us. Once this core of the squad, which lasted quite a while btw, got into their stride gone were the days of being embarrassed to support the club. I feel the current bunch of youngsters can have the same positive affect and then some.

For a post which was labelled embarrassing, it has elicited same great discussion.

My feeling is that very few of those expressing reservations want us to bring in Redknapp type end of career signings. I am tremendously excited to see the youngsters coming in - whether from the academy or signings. My problem is that every signing - Toby apart - seems to be ONLY a youngster. I don't expect us to sign a Matic or a Falcao... but an Imbula, a Cabaye, an Austin? Stadium or no stadium are you telling me we cannot afford them but the likes of Porto or Palace can? And if not them, then someone else with an experience and track record - that's what Mitchell is there for and everyone was creaming themselves about when he signed on...

It's fine to say that we have a core of youngsters but - and that is what I tried to say in the first post of the thread - those youngsters, no matter how gifted, need a couple of experienced leaders around them to develop, mature and reach their potential. Otherwise we risk stunting their growth. That's why I used the ManU example. Now maybe Levy will surprise me and pull out a couple of wiley rabbits from the hat in the coming days.

However if that doesn't happen, then the nagging feeling that this strategy is nothing to do with a cohesive plan but is simply a knee-jerk by Levy to the losses made on the Beatles, will be very hard to push away.

For a post which was labelled embarrassing, it has elicited same great discussion.

My feeling is that very few of those expressing reservations want us to bring in Redknapp type end of career signings. I am tremendously excited to see the youngsters coming in - whether from the academy or signings. My problem is that every signing - Toby apart - seems to be ONLY a youngster. I don't expect us to sign a Matic or a Falcao... but an Imbula, a Cabaye, an Austin? Stadium or no stadium are you telling me we cannot afford them but the likes of Porto or Palace can? And if not them, then someone else with an experience and track record - that's what Mitchell is there for and everyone was creaming themselves about when he signed on...

It's fine to say that we have a core of youngsters but - and that is what I tried to say in the first post of the thread - those youngsters, no matter how gifted, need a couple of experienced leaders around them to develop, mature and reach their potential. Otherwise we risk stunting their growth. That's why I used the ManU example. Now maybe Levy will surprise me and pull out a couple of wiley rabbits from the hat in the coming days.

However if that doesn't happen, then the nagging feeling that this strategy is nothing to do with a cohesive plan but is simply a knee-jerk by Levy to the losses made on the Beatles, will be very hard to push away.

From even the smelliest piece of turd, can a rose grow ;)

But in all seriousness, I do think a bit of experience is needed but not at any cost. It has to be a player that Poch wants, and at the moment I have no inclination that Poch is not getting the players that he wants. I can't say for sure whether an Imbula or Cabaye would necessarily improve us. What I do have a lot of faith in is that Mitchell and his black box, plus Baldini, plus our scouts are on the look out for talent and they have been making moves to suss out just what is the best option for us. If they haven't shot their load, there must be a reason. If this window finishes now with no further signings, I will be disappointed as we can all plainly see that other players have moved for sums of money that we should have been able to afford.

However, I won't be jumping off the next bridge claiming that our season is ruined because the core of this team played quite well and nowhere near their potential last season. The lost points we suffered last season are proof of that.

This is a competitive league, and what that means is that some other clubs will get some good signings before we were even made aware e.g. a Cabaye. However, there could be a number of reasons as to why we did not sign him. Perhaps he wanted guaranteed football, perhaps he really likes Pardew's daughter, or perhaps we just weren't interested because Poch doesn't want his daughter going anywhere near Cabaye. Who knows. It's whether you have the faith that the club is acting in the best interests and making more right decisions than wrong ones. At this present moment in time I think the former.

tickle my balls with a feather.

... and only a << feel free to fill in >> will make up nonexistent if not nonsensical sayings :p

But in all seriousness... you are asking for a lot of blind faith here! That Poch is happy to play a rookie centre half as a holding midfielder and has not asked for a proper signing; that none of the holding midfielders who have moved for little more than we paid for N'Jie were good enough for us but apparently suitable for good CL teams; that we had no idea that the likes of Cabaye were available when every man and his dog in Europe knew that, that Mitchell has either not been asked or is unable to source a decent midfielder of this type - when Toby is on record saying how much he is needed. It's a lot of blind faith to ask and I am willing to put that faith forward, hoping that things will change before the end of the month.

Because if they do not by then, then I would agree that if "they haven't shot their load, there must be a reason." And that reason could only be that Levy has issued a diktat that only youngsters are to be signed and their resale potential outweighs their benefit to the team; and for once I will have to be in agreement with the likes of @DubaiSpur on this point....

... and only a << feel free to fill in >> will make up nonexistent if not nonsensical sayings :p

But in all seriousness... you are asking for a lot of blind faith here! That Poch is happy to play a rookie centre half as a holding midfielder and has not asked for a proper signing; that none of the holding midfielders who have moved for little more than we paid for N'Jie were good enough for us but apparently suitable for good CL teams; that we had no idea that the likes of Cabaye were available when every man and his dog in Europe knew that, that Mitchell has either not been asked or is unable to source a decent midfielder of this type - when Toby is on record saying how much he is needed. It's a lot of blind faith to ask and I am willing to put that faith forward, hoping that things will change before the end of the month.

Because if they do not by then, then I would agree that if "they haven't shot their load, there must be a reason." And that reason could only be that Levy has issued a diktat that only youngsters are to be signed and their resale potential outweighs their benefit to the team; and for once I will have to be in agreement with the likes of @DubaiSpur on this point....

I try! And I don't think it is blind faith. We have a team that got us 5th and a cup final, and have made some good signings. Mitchell has good form on identifying talent from Southampton as well.

I'm also not sure that the only reason could be Levy's dictate. He wants success just as much as anyone as he would gain more than most from the success.

We debate and discuss; it's why I love this forum. If everyone agreed on everything, what a boring place it would be...

Are you therefore no longer clamouring for an experienced, decent holding midfielder as you were all summer long?

No I would love a proper CM player to join us, but I have been at both games and Dier has done well. Will he get better I have no idea but if we fail to sign one Dier has done better already then the guys we had doing that job last season.

I've actually heard some spurs fans tonight say that Villa and West Ham have better squads than us now

Moreno is the answer on the wing (it was bolassie a few weeks back)

We need to sign at least 3 more players or we won't make top 10

All the teams that finished below us have improved massively and will catch us easily

Such short term memories and clearly not a clue as to what we're actually doing IMO

Vila and west game don't have one player in their squad who would get in our 11 IMO

Moreno was shocking for most of last season but is now seen to be like Ronaldo

3 players would help but could easily rock the boat in numbers again

The only players that the teams below us have signed they I'm generally a fan of are Ayew and Cabaye... There two we should have gone for but clearly didn't fancy

It just amazes me how quickly the tide turn for a lot of our fans

In terms of winning trophies I'd agree with that statement but in terms of finishing top four every year I just can't see it.

The Premier League is now so competitive it's like being an aspirational technology firm wanting to return to the glory days or be the new kid on the block who makes it big only to realise you're up against Microsoft, Sony, Samsung and Apple.

Football clubs are quite literally like corporations these days, monopolies that stamp on their grandmother's toes to get more profit. Without trying to sound like a socialist the point I am trying to make is that they are too competitive, they'll try anything, covert (buy a player just so we or other clubs can't have him) or overt (buying incredibly expensive world class players), to prevent us from succeeding. Infact in some cases they won't have to do anything at all simply because they are too big for us to do anything, it'd be like Britain trying to invade the US.

Personally I want, regardless of financial position, the core of the squad to be mainly made up of players from the academy, I feel that over the coming years this is more likely to produce the brand of football we demand and also the loyalty that we so badly need. The latter of which takes me onto something we tend to forget which is continuity in the core of the squad helps sustain success, just look at Chel53a (Cech, Terry, Lampard, Cole, Drogba) and Barcelona (Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol, Pique, Messi).
Even if there is changes to the core it shouldn't matter just as long as it isn't too drastic. Liverpool back in the day achieved what they did over two decades (70s and 80s) because they usually sold two and bought two. Unlike Spurs and present day Liverpool's La La Land transfer strategy of sell your best player and then buy up to 10. The master of it of course was SAF, replace them one at a time, Stam > Ferdinand, Keane > Carrick, Beckham > Ronaldo.

Either way if people want the Spurs of days gone by (50s - 80s), challenging in the League and for trophies by challenging in the transfer market then the suffer now, prosper later plan aka baked beans on toast is the only way I can see us achieving any kind of success, especially with FFP starting to get into it's stride, well if it does that is (loop holes etc), in which case we can get a Sugar, Daddy which might not work as it may end up in Sugar Daddy over kill or Roman sending a Hitman.

I agree 100% and academy players coming through gave me a passion back for Spurs that was being lost through bitterness at football over the last 5 years.

BUT saying that - we NEED to go out and get PL/experienced players and realistically that will cost us another 45m in today's market. The fact it is with a few more outgoings that wil be a 15m outlay that will help improve the team drastically, put bums on seats, help league position, improve academy players and convince some players to commit. That is the reality even with 10 academy players in the squad ........

The sad thing is I bet you this window is a let down and this season is a tough one. I hope I am wrong but every day that passes is hugely concerning

I've actually heard some spurs fans tonight say that Villa and West Ham have better squads than us now

Moreno is the answer on the wing (it was bolassie a few weeks back)

We need to sign at least 3 more players or we won't make top 10

All the teams that finished below us have improved massively and will catch us easily

Such short term memories and clearly not a clue as to what we're actually doing IMO

Vila and west game don't have one player in their squad who would get in our 11 IMO

Moreno was shocking for most of last season but is now seen to be like Ronaldo

3 players would help but could easily rock the boat in numbers again

The only players that the teams below us have signed they I'm generally a fan of are Ayew and Cabaye... There two we should have gone for but clearly didn't fancy

It just amazes me how quickly the tide turn for a lot of our fans

Completely agree with your analysis especially the bit in bold.

Back