• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

YOU are the manager

True but Ramsey is one of the midfielders who arrived late into the box, in that case the striker could've been Aaron Lennon, so long as he made the run that pulled Turner out the middle.

Danny Murphy in love with their style and the "versatility" of their midfield four. Sums it up nicely though, anyone of those four can play comfortably in any of those positions and rotate with the striker. No defender has an easy afternoon as they constantly face a different player and with the movement are always having to decide whether to hold position or follow the runner. It all just clicks for them because they are all intelligent and on the same wavelength

Last edited:
We need Dembele to get back to his old self, hopefully the goal will work.

I've not been his biggest fan this season, so for me that's a big statement, but his direct approach is what we need more of. Direct play draws defenders, opens up space and then hopefully we can exploit that space.

We need to be quicker on the ball. Turn defence in to attack more quickly than we have been. We have pacy players, and some good passers. A combination of those should enable us to play a direct style of football successively. None of this tic tac toe crap that we seem to be playing right now. Slow build up allows the opposition defence to regroup and gives us difficulty in scoring as we're struggling to find the right passes.

I'd get Townsend on the left, he isn't afraid to run at the defence and is both footed. Plus Lennon can't play on the left.

I'd have Lamela on the right, there's no point in playing two pacy wingers with limited end product. Lamela is a tricksy midfield player. He will adapt to the league given time, and that's what I'd afford him.

I think you need to have alternatives, by having one true winger and one player who comes inside. Who could be more successful at making the game tick, in the same way that Modric played as left midfielder. Perhaps in future, Lamela can be our number 10 but not yet.

Holtby can play the number 10, he has the ability to play a pass. Eriksen will come back in to contention when he returns from injury.

Defensively, I want both Vertonghen & Chiriches which is a problem. Both like to go forward too often and neither is really a stopper. So I'd play Kaboul and Vertonghen primarily.

Might be more later but out of time now.

Agree with almost all of this. Given that Rose is still out, I would go three at the back with Walker and Townsend as wing backs. This would solidify the middle and give cover to Walker and Townsend on the flanks. With Sandro stiffling Rooney and Dembele newly invigorated in a more forward role, we would have width (Walker and Townsend) and Lamela, Holtby/ Sig supporting Soldado . All of the front four would only have forward pressing assignments with instructions to get in the box at every opportunity.

I would make a key tactic tomorrow to try to get the ball to Soldado as much as possible. I think we're a lot more likely to score by taking fewer shots, but shots nearer to the goal, than simply hit and hope shooting from outside the box. Plus if we play with that mentality, hopefully more players will break in to the box and will former greater link up play.

I would make a key tactic tomorrow to try to get the ball to Soldado as much as possible. I think we're a lot more likely to score by taking fewer shots, but shots nearer to the goal, than simply hit and hope shooting from outside the box. Plus if we play with that mentality, hopefully more players will break in to the box and will former greater link up play.

Agreed - I want to see much more one touch football in and around their box.

------------------Lloris----------------
---------------------------------------
--------Chiriches--------Verts----------
Walker----------Sandro-----------Rose
----------------Paulinho---------------
--Lamela----------------------Andros--
----------------Dembele--------------
----------------Soldado---------------

I think Dembele looks a different player if he is further up the pitch.
Andros on the left will imo mean he provides Soldado more.
Paulinho box to box
Sandro the true DM providing support to the back two.
Lennon for Lamela if we require more width.

You know seeing Chiriches yesterday second half; he might be able to do a job in place of Walker (if need be).

Perhaps it's close to todays team barring Andros and Rose (Chadli also not an inverted winger). You know it makes sense AVB! :lol: although after Steff's correct prediction last week, I'm a tad nervous 8-[

Against Fulham it has to be:

--------------------------------Lloris--------------------------------

Walker---------------Dawson---------Chiriches--------Vertonghen

Lennon---------------Sandro-----------Dembele---------Townsend

--------------------------------Paulinho------------------------------

--------------------------------Soldado-------------------------------

AND LAMELA IN THE SQUAD PLEASE.

We seemed to in a 4-4-2 of sorts when defending in the 1st half today, with Paulinho and Soldado roaming, and 4-3-3 at times when attacking. I think we're on course for something attacking wise, but we need to improve movement and interchanging of positions a bit more.

If everyone was fit I'd choose

Lloris
Walker Vlad/Kaboul Vertonghen Rose
Sandro Dembele
Lennon Lamela Eriksen
Adebayor​

If everyone was fit I'd choose

Lloris
Walker Vlad/Kaboul Vertonghen Rose
Sandro Dembele
Lennon Lamela Eriksen
Adebayor​

So many changes? We're trying to establish a starting eleven, why trifle with everything so much?

So many changes? We're trying to establish a starting eleven, why trifle with everything so much?

I don't think we are. We're trying to get everyone used to playing the same system, making rotation almost seamless.

I don't think we are. We're trying to get everyone used to playing the same system, making rotation almost seamless.

i think the best way to do that, what with so many new faces in the squad, would be to establish a first XI and once they are comfortable with the tactics start to rotate in the others

3-2-3-2 (or 3-5-2)

Lloris
Vertonghen, Chiriches, Kaboul/Walker
Lennon/Walker - Capoue - Sandro - Lamela/Townsend/Gylfi
Eriksen
Adebayor - Soldado

Would be like having a 5 man defense and a 5 man attack and a 5 man midfield. We'd be unstoppable. ;)

Before I go to bed here is the team I will pick as manager
Goalie and defense don't matter
in midfield 4 guys
Up front ADEBAYOR and Soldado.if not him then Kane please GHod he is fit.

Here's my team (assuming Rose & Adebayor are not fit)

Lloris

Walker
Dawson
Chiriches
Verts

Sandro

Lennon
Paulinho
Townsend

Sigurdsson

Soldado

subs: Friedel, Defoe, Dembele, Capoue, Lamela, Kaboul, Chadli

I'd be looking for Sig and Soldado to work closely, for Sandro to hit either Lennon or Townsend EARLY with 'out' balls and for Paulinho to show his box-to-box colours. I PERSONALLY want Lennon on the right and Andros on the left, I want them stretching the pitch and I want them with paint on their boots for the first 20 mins as we absolutely blitz Fulham. This would provide the necessary space for Paulinho, Sig and Soldado to work together, Sandro sits in front of a high-line (which against Fulham wouldn't even be a question) and thus we should be able to dominate possession and create chances. It's all about our wingers NOT being inverted (for once!) tomm IMO...

Just a thought...

If you go back a few years when I'd say we were playing much better stuff, we only ever used one defensive midfielder. Why do we need 2 all of a sudden????

It was:

---------- Crouch
------------- VDV
Bale - Modric - Sandro - Lennon

Someone please explain why we must have 2 holding players????

----- Soldado - Defoe
Lamela ---------- Townsend
----- Holtby - Sandro

That should be able to get us a goal or two when we're behind.

I'd really start with a "more defensive" 4-1-4-1:

-------------- Soldado
Lamela - Holtby - Eriksen - Townsend
-------------- Sandro

Surely that's not any worse defensively than the Modric/Sandro partnership? It's surely a lot more creative

We all think the same Volspur but AVB sees the need for two physical players in there. Anyone who watches us knows we lack that dynamic ball player from deep who can see the big picture. I would however say that your 442 scares the life out of me, no way could we play two strikers with those wingers and have just Sandro mopping up.

No matter how you look at it, we need two from Sigurdson, Holtby, Eriksen to play behind whoever is our lone striker. I think you can get away with Lamela in the centre if you play Demebele or Paulinho as you can rely on their defensive game. Lennon right now is offering a lot to our right hand side and is my first choice until our midfield look like they are creating chances in the box, then we can think about having an inverted forward/winger like Lamela. At the moment I think we have to stick with out and out wingers until we can find a central trio that can work together.

Agree with trying holtby in cm with the beast. The problem is the am position.

Pauli has done excellently in getting into the right positions but for a Brazilian he really couldn't hit a barn door having done the hard part. Would like to see Lamela or Siggy given a go as the am to give Pauli a rest up.

With naughton likely to come in for the injured Verts Townsend needs to play and stay wide left to give balance.

Bobby has to start upfront his link up play is better than defoes and AVB needs to back him as he has to come good soon.

Back