• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Would you be happy to stick with what we have (players) for next season?

ShelfLife

Clive Wilson
I have to say that I was really excited with the signings we made in the summer, particularly Chadli, Lamela and Paulinho, and was so looking forward to seeing them line up in the colours of my beloved Spurs (to the extent that I bought in to the hype about the Bale sale ultimately firing us on to the next level). Suffice to say, what followed has been rather underwhelming and more than a tad dispiriting.

Now that all of Footballdom (including many on here) appear to have taken the view that we squandered the £100 or so million we spent on our summer recruits (with some exceptions being made in the case of Eriksen), are we abandoning the whole 'give them a season to settle' maxim, which had previously been the accepted wisdom? I guess what I'm asking is, is the prevailing view that we need to have another clear out and start from scratch, or would you be happy to see us line up with essentially the same personnel next season and see if they can't do better now that they have had a full season together (and most likely under the guidance of a new manager)?

Despite what we have seen this season. I remain of the view (though admittedly with somewhat less conviction than previously) that we have acquired very good players in the likes of Paulinho, Soldado and Chadli, but for whatever reason haven't yet seen the best of them.

Last edited:
I'm happy to give all the newbies time, we do need to strengthen though, I quite like Rose but we need an option there, I'd also like a new cb and I'm hoping we get rid of ade so that leaves us needing a new forward as well

I'm happy to give all the newbies time, we do need to strengthen though, I quite like Rose but we need an option there, I'd also like a new cb and I'm hoping we get rid of ade so that leaves us needing a new forward as well

Pretty much this

Largely agree with that, though I wouldn't be so hasty to show Ade the door, even if do strengthen up front. We've already seen how hard it is to get hold of someone who can score regularly in this league, even when you do pay big money. I think he's got a bit to offer the side yet.

Largely agree with that, though I wouldn't be so hasty to show Ade the door, even if do strengthen up front. We've already seen how hard it is to get hold of someone who can score regularly in this league, even when you do pay big money. I think he's got a bit to offer the side yet.

Adebayor won't score regularly when he has nothing to prove and Sherwood has also created the perfect environment for Adebayor to get 'comfortable'

Going by his previous I doubt he'll be effective next season and certainly doesn't justify the wages he's on

I'm excited by what FDB or whoever can do with this squad. It'll be like the Beatles returning from Hamburg and everyone suddenly realising how good they actually are.

Agree with Raziel - LB, ballplaying CM, (and for me a LWF) and that's it.

No, we have glaring weaknesses in our squad that we should try to sort out.

I don't think we need a massive clear out and bring in a ton of players, but I do think the existing players that are still settling in will do so more effectively without glaring weaknesses in the team week in week out.

I will also remain concerned about if we can trust Ade to perform...

I'd be happy with no changes other than a top class manager coming in, The players can all get a clean slate, even the ones I have ****ged off this season.

Yes I would.

Tempting to swap one or two of the midfielders for defenders. But the new manager is the key signing.

Sell Soldado and Holtby
Buy Jackson Martinez/Lukaku/Benteke, Garay and Shaw
Keep Townsend and Lennon as pacey subs

Yes.

I would be happy with the same players again for next season only if we cant find another excellent manager in time

Looking down the roster we have some good players that just were not cohesive enough though the season

the only position i would truly address is the left back position and i already have 3 players that i think would be an upgrade on rose and make us significantly better seeing as delivery from the left side is paramount what with a wide play maker playing there

would the "still young and can learn" idea be applicable to rose? I mean if instructed to just concentrate on his first touch, and playing the simple ball out to safety - could he be as good as walker? like walker he is fast and not afraid of putting his body in the line of play.

otherwise we can just move him to left mid in hope of another world record transfer :)

With a new manager inbound I can't see us doing much in the market this summer as they'll want to assess the squad for themselves. I really feel we need about 5 positions filled but with the way this season went with high turnover contributing to a rather average season I can't see it happening.

I'd be angry if Paulinho stayed, I actually have developed a complete hatred for the guy.

I'd also be looking to upgrade at CB and left back.

Forwards aren't actually too bad, as we've been scoring freely under Sherwood. We've conceeded 51 goals which is one of the highest outside the bottom 3, which is a disgrace.

The partnerships just aren't working in defence. The only centre-back pairing that has looked remotely like a unit IMO is Dawson & Chiriches, which is one I think we should persist with next season, given that I'm a firm believer in a defensive unit that works, rather than just shoe-horning the best four defenders individually into your back-four.

While Vertonghen is the best player we have in defence, he is not the best defender and he is not the best at working with others to hold the defensive line and co-ordinate defensive efforts.

@NWND

Have to say that i think our habit to conceed goals stems from the type of personell we play and the tempo and style we adopt. I think thats more the issue than the ability of the players we have

I agree too about paulinho but i think he has played himself into a squad member role...the truth is that that guy has never had a break from football in like 2 years...he will get one this summer. I dont pretend to say that this will make him into a great player...but i am curious to see what the factors of some rest, league familiarity , added chemistry, settling in, pace adjustment ...do to a player like paulinho. I mean once lucas was the joke of anfield (primarily due to people's lack of understanding of what he was doing on the field) but now with added years experience here he has adapted to be more visible in his contributions

I really think a clean slate and a mental rest will do positive things for most of our under performing players

I would be extremely angry if inviisibilinho is still here and disappointed if soldado is kept. The rest can definitely stay though.

Edit: Oh this isn't just new signings? then i feel the following should also be shipped

BAE - i like him but he obviously has no future here.
Kaboul - Again i like him but he's finished imo.
Lennon - Time to let him go.
Livermore -no future.
Siggy - I like him but it's best he moves on.
Capoue - Good DM for sure but will he accept being an understudy for Sandro?

Last edited:
Minimum required is a new LB. For me our weakest position by far. Probably a goalie as well as I think it is time for Brad to hang up his gloves. Everyone else gets another roll of the dice.

Some of those signings will be like new signings. I really expect Chadli,Lamella, Paulinho to eventually flourish and Soldado too if we play a system that suits him (I already consider Chiriches a success, his injury set him back). Like others have alluded to a couple of tweeks, and a clear system and way of playing is all we need. I'm confident we can achieve that with the apparent front runners for the manager's job....

Back