• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Worst Ref Ever?

Dicko

Edgar Davids
This made me wonder what are some off the worst refereeing performances you can remember?

After a shocking ref had sent off a couple of Seattle players Clint Dempsey was so f**ked off he ripped up the refs notepad and threw it on the floor and was promptly sent off haha.

They had already lost Obe Martins to injury too so they finished with 7 men.

It's funny seeing the ref having to pick up the pieces around the 1:05 mark

Foy against us. I've heard of a ref being a homer, but he took it to a new level against us;

Kaboul's ridiculous two bookings
Adebayor's "offside" goal that was at least a yard offside and the rest
Crouch's handball that went unnoticed

I've never seen one team get so many big decisions in one game that were all farcical.

Howard Webb is arguably the worst big name ref. The FA tagged him as their boy and nothing was going to change their mind. Favoured Man United to such ridiculous lengths and yet still went to every major tournament as the English ref.

Can't really think of any ref who's been consistently terrible. Guess the closest is the headline grabber Mark Clattenburg .

Worst refering mistake I've seen though goes to the referee and team of officials who gave Reading a goal against Watford a few years ago despite it clearly going five yards wide of the goal.

A close second is whoever gave Tevez goal for West Ham against someone despite him being offside, handballing it and the ball not crossing the line. (not to mention the fact he was ineligible anyway - fluky spammers)

Ah Gazza, I remember that one well, watch the hibs player in the background give the ref absolute pesters. I can't remember who the ref was but i remember being at a Rangers game and Ian Ferguson making a sliding tackle and on a very wet pitch. The tackle left a 5 yard skid mark in the turf, clearly showing where the tackle was, but for some reason the ref gave the free kick 10 yards further on. When this was pointed out to he just shrugged his shoulders and blew the whistle.

The Japorea World Cup Italy v South Korea

Also Graham Poll giving out 3 yellow cards to the one player in Australia v Croatia in Germany 2008. Also blew the full time whistle just as we were through on goal and about to score.

There was this old bloke refereeing my eldest's match there a few months back. Easily the worst ref that I've ever seen by a distance. I think he probably got about 80-90% of his decisions wrong and that is not an exaggeration. I realised after he had his hearing aid turned off for the match so he didn't have to listen to the abuse from the sidelines (of which there was plenty). The old clam.

Dempsey has been banned from the US cup for two years. Lucky for him it wasn't a league game :eek:

There was this old bloke refereeing my eldest's match there a few months back. Easily the worst ref that I've ever seen by a distance. I think he probably got about 80-90% of his decisions wrong and that is not an exaggeration. I realised after he had his hearing aid turned off for the match so he didn't have to listen to the abuse from the sidelines (of which there was plenty). The old clam.

If we're going on about Sunday league refs as well when I played u14 football we had a ref who refused to give a penalty for handball. We all protested and this bloke said "That wasn't handball it him there" and he pointed at his upper arm... Us load of kids tried explaining the rule to him but he was having none of it!

We also used to have our OWN MANAGER as a ref for most games!!! He'd say that it was because no one else was available. But you wouldn't believe how biased he was against US. The team HE managed! It wasn't till about three years later that it turned out because he was in charge of arranging junior league referring he'd actually been giving himself as many games as possible to pocket the FA's expense money. He's now banned from involvement in football.

Mind you, should've known he was a bit of a tool. Was a QPR fan and used to bang on about what a bigger club they are even though they were in the Championship and we were competing for Champions League!

Dempsey has been banned from the US cup for two years. Lucky for him it wasn't a league game :eek:

that ban is retarded. imo, theres no reason why he should receive such a hefty ban. if he had done the same thing in the mls, theres no way they would ban him for such a lengthy period, so why are they banning him for such a long period in the cup? the authorities are just arbitrarily making the rules up as they go along.

whilst dempsey's actions were poor, its nothing like as bad as some of the other things we see in football. no-one was physically threatened or hurt by dempsey's actions, nor was there an extreme level of verbal abuse (ie. racism). all things considered, this is a low level offense, and dempsey should be getting a 3 game ban (max).

Its 2 years or 6 games.

To be fair, it was bang out of order and disrespectful to the ref and the opposition. Funny as fudge and I'm jealous- but the punishment seems fair to me. You don't want to start a trend - players are already dingdongs to ref's far too much

Back