• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Round of 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok but on the flip side every other nation enjoys the ride whilst they are in it, most more fanatically than England in many cases, I have seen loads of examples where lesser nations, respectfully, have been more optimistic than we are or are allowed to be without being shouted down for being arrogant.

South american nations get all wrapped up in the competition is "romantic" we do the same its arrogant?

By the way, who mentioned arrogant?

For my money I think the press have played it down and did more so after the teamsheet incident. After the Bel game they slaughtered Southgate HUGELY

Vardy needs to have a long hard look at himself. There's not much point bringing him on if Kane has to drop back to accommodate him and he doesn't have the balls to take a penalty.

As you might have read by now, Vardy did not take a penalty because he had a groin strain.

FWIW, I did not think bringing him on was a bad idea with that scoreline. In theory, Colombia should have been pressing higher up the pitch for Vardy to exploit and indeed this was the case but England retreated so much there was little chance of feeding either of the forwards with some decent chances.

If you miss your penalty, it’s a BAD penalty
If you score it’s a GREAT penalty
Henderson’s was bad, simple as
Diers was great as it went in

I don't get this thinking.

Take Kane's two penalties against Tunisia. Hard, high and in the left back corner of the net. If he takes ten or twenty exactly the same then one will be saved eventually. This one of series of identical penalties becomes bad.

In contrast, a player, let's call him Henderson, scuffs the ball straight at the goalkeeper, who contrives to fumble the ball and it trickles in off the post. This is a good penalty.

For me a good penalty is one that has a good probability of scoring, a bad one a low probability. A brilliant save or a goalkeeper mistake has no place in determining the quality of the penalty.

I don't get this thinking.

Take Kane's two penalties against Tunisia. Hard, high and in the left back corner of the net. If he takes ten or twenty exactly the same then one will be saved eventually. This one of series of identical penalties becomes bad.

In contrast, a player, let's call him Henderson, scuffs the ball straight at the goalkeeper, who contrives to fumble the ball and it trickles in off the post. This is a good penalty.

For me a good penalty is one that has a good probability of scoring, a bad one a low probability. A brilliant save or a goalkeeper mistake has no place in determining the quality of the penalty.

Your looking at probability

My comments have NO probability factor, just facts which actually determine if something is good or fit for purpose - does it meet the desired outcome? It’s that simple IMO

The keeper should never save a penalty as it’s set up to favour the attacker every time

What a helmet

Colombia captain Radamel Falcao also accused Geiger of bias, calling the American's performance "shameful".

Geiger often struggled to control a feisty encounter in Moscow, which England won on penalties.

"This situation was undermining us," said Falcao.

Former Chelsea and Manchester United striker Falcao was one of six Colombia players booked by Geiger, while two England players had their names taken.

"The referee disturbed us a lot, in the 50-50 plays, he always made the calls in favour of England," said Falcao. "He didn't act with the same criteria for both teams. When in doubt, he always went to the England side.

"I found it peculiar that they put an American referee in this instance. To tell you the truth, the process leaves a lot of doubts."

What a helmet

Colombia captain Radamel Falcao also accused Geiger of bias, calling the American's performance "shameful".

Geiger often struggled to control a feisty encounter in Moscow, which England won on penalties.

Former Chelsea and Manchester United striker Falcao was one of six Colombia players booked by Geiger, while two England players had their names taken.

"The referee disturbed us a lot, in the 50-50 plays, he always made the calls in favour of England," said Falcao. "He didn't act with the same criteria for both teams. When in doubt, he always went to the England side.

"I found it peculiar that they put an American referee in this instance. To tell you the truth, the process leaves a lot of doubts."
I know this shouldn’t tinkle me off but it really does!

There’s one thing being a bunch of diving, whinging, cheating, dirty c@nts, but then to come out after the game and have a pop at the ref just defies belief! The cheek of it, this Colombia side really has no shame whatsoever!

I'd rather them be consistent and try to justify their cheating. They were shameless during the game, so why expect anything else afterwards.

Apologies from the likes of Maradona are more of a concern. He is just trying to keep the "gravy" flowing.

What a helmet

He is of corse talking rubbish, I thought the ref did a decent job in a game made very difficult by Colombias actions, the game was one red card away from turning into chaos.

But seeing as they shoot players for failure you can see why they are trying to find a spacegoat.

I fancy Uruguay to turnover France. I think it might end up a Uruguay-Croatia final

Just imagine, how emotional and historic it will be for Uruguay and neutral fans if they do qualify for their first World Cup final since 1930 ! Remember, when Uruguay last won the World Cup in 1950, there was no Final as the Final Round was held as a round robin format involving 4 teams which was won by Uruguay. So, their only Final was in 1930 which Uruguay won. Never liked Uruguay due to Suarez but won't mind if they do qualify for their first final in 88 long years !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back