• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Quarter Finals

He is an extremely talented player, has had an excellent season, and has the attributes to really make a difference at this level.

He has genuine pace, the ability to dribble and generally cause havoc - as well as offering goals.

For these reasons I think I can understand why Southgate has given him so much opportunity to find his form.

All that being said, he simply hasnt.

He has worked really hard, done a lot of running off the ball and made space - but he hasnt impacted games at all. Arguably, his complete lack of understanding with Kane (and those around him) has cost us.

For this reason, times up. He should now be a super sub. Get Rashford on, lets see what he has, and use Sterling late on if we need to against tiring legs.

I point firmly at Young before those if we are looking to why we are numb in attack.

We can only effectively attack down the right side, because Young quite literally kills anything that goes up the left.

Delph came on yesterday, moved into similar areas and within a minute had provided genuine width, and an early ball that found Kane in the box.

Young managed one left footed cross all game, and it went to no one.

Otherwise, without fail, he will get the ball, stop, put foot on ball, feint left, turn right and come inside.... It takes about 5 seconds for him to do the EXACT SAME THING every single fudging time. And it never amounts to anything other than no width and the opposition getting set in their defensive shape.

I really believe if Hendersen had an outlet to the left he would look better (still limited, but better).

I really believe if we have Delph/Rose offering genuine width and a functional left foot out there, Sterling would be a lot better. He would have someone able to play him into the areas he thrives, as well as play off of when he gets marked.

Young is, IMHO, the biggest fudging problem this side has - and for the life of me I cannot understand Southgates thinking.

Young is serviceable in defence, its not like he is Maldini. And in attack he is a black hole, a negative, he offers NOTHING.

With Delph and especially Rose available, what the hell is he thinking?
I don't think Delph has been available has he? I'm sure he was injured.

I wouldn't put out our hopes in the hands of someone like Rose either if there were other options. We already have Walker with a brainfart every 90 minutes - adding Rose to that would be a problem. I also don't think he has the self-control or the temperament to play at this level, although that may be easier now the South American teams are all out.

He is an extremely talented player, has had an excellent season, and has the attributes to really make a difference at this level.

He has genuine pace, the ability to dribble and generally cause havoc - as well as offering goals.

For these reasons I think I can understand why Southgate has given him so much opportunity to find his form.

All that being said, he simply hasnt.

He has worked really hard, done a lot of running off the ball and made space - but he hasnt impacted games at all. Arguably, his complete lack of understanding with Kane (and those around him) has cost us.

For this reason, times up. He should now be a super sub. Get Rashford on, lets see what he has, and use Sterling late on if we need to against tiring legs.

I point firmly at Young before those if we are looking to why we are numb in attack.

We can only effectively attack down the right side, because Young quite literally kills anything that goes up the left.

Delph came on yesterday, moved into similar areas and within a minute had provided genuine width, and an early ball that found Kane in the box.

Young managed one left footed cross all game, and it went to no one.

Otherwise, without fail, he will get the ball, stop, put foot on ball, feint left, turn right and come inside.... It takes about 5 seconds for him to do the EXACT SAME THING every single fudging time. And it never amounts to anything other than no width and the opposition getting set in their defensive shape.

I really believe if Hendersen had an outlet to the left he would look better (still limited, but better).

I really believe if we have Delph/Rose offering genuine width and a functional left foot out there, Sterling would be a lot better. He would have someone able to play him into the areas he thrives, as well as play off of when he gets marked.

Young is, IMHO, the biggest fudging problem this side has - and for the life of me I cannot understand Southgates thinking.

Young is serviceable in defence, its not like he is Maldini. And in attack he is a black hole, a negative, he offers NOTHING.

With Delph and especially Rose available, what the hell is he thinking?

I agree 100% on the young thing although he did cross twice with his left and got a corner off one which was just before we scored

He is NOT great defensively though and always plays on the edge (more so than Rose)

Yesterday twice he hit rather than tackled a Sweden player and they rode the challenge but other players would have gone down. England have really restricted the set pieces against and it links opposition opportunities

A good side will turn young with every pass and we will see his weakness IMO defensively

I wanna add that people are still singling out Ali as having a poor game... we lose so much ball when he goes off it’s scary as he does a similar role to Henderson but he isn’t making the tackles just taking the space and stopping their passes... it’s bloody effective defending like erisken does for us but deeper and goes unseen

I don't think Delph has been available has he? I'm sure he was injured.

I wouldn't put out our hopes in the hands of someone like Rose either if there were other options. We already have Walker with a brainfart every 90 minutes - adding Rose to that would be a problem. I also don't think he has the self-control or the temperament to play at this level, although that may be easier now the South American teams are all out.

As Im sure you know, Im far from Roses greatest advocate here, but in the context of this squad and Young? Its not even close to a decision. Its bloody obvious.

A proper LB, with a left foot, and a willingness to get forward and support the forwards. Its a no brainer, which baffles me as to why Southgate has persisted with Young.

Delph did go home as his Mrs had a baby, but has made 2 sub appearances so I dont think fitness can be that much of an issue. I do think, if Southgate wants to persist with Sterling, Delph makes more sense than Rose - there is a greater chance of them having an understanding.

I agree 400% on the young thing although he did cross twice with his left and got a corner off one which was just before we scored

He is NOT great defensively though and always plays on the edge (more so than Rose)

Yesterday twice he hit rather than tackled a Sweden player and they rode the challenge but other players would have gone down. England have really restricted the set pieces against and it links opposition opportunities

A good side will turn young with every pass and we will see his weakness IMO defensively

I wanna add that people are still singling out Ali as having a poor game... we lose so much ball when he goes off it’s scary as he does a similar role to Henderson but he isn’t making the tackles just taking the space and stopping their passes... it’s bloody effective defending like Eriksen-sen-sen does for us but deeper and goes unseen

Agree - I think Young is passable defensively, hardly "good" or anything like that. Rose is better 100%, just as he is going forward.

Alli has, IMO, done a superb job so far. People expect him to play like a #10 and score goals like Lampard - that is clearly not the job he is doing for England. He has Hendersen and Linguard around him - both brainless but try hards, and is the only one there playing with intelligence. I think he has been brilliant.

As Im sure you know, Im far from Roses greatest advocate here, but in the context of this squad and Young? Its not even close to a decision. Its bloody obvious.

A proper LB, with a left foot, and a willingness to get forward and support the forwards. Its a no brainer, which baffles me as to why Southgate has persisted with Young.

Delph did go home as his Mrs had a baby, but has made 2 sub appearances so I dont think fitness can be that much of an issue. I do think, if Southgate wants to persist with Sterling, Delph makes more sense than Rose - there is a greater chance of them having an understanding.

Agree - I think Young is passable defensively, hardly "good" or anything like that. Rose is better 400%, just as he is going forward.

Alli has, IMO, done a superb job so far. People expect him to play like a #10 and score goals like Lampard - that is clearly not the job he is doing for England. He has Hendersen and Linguard around him - both brainless but try hards, and is the only one there playing with intelligence. I think he has been brilliant.

Lingard has impressed me and so have Henderson so I’ll get that in now

I just agree that sort out the balance and we have such a better team and it’s easy too

Southgate though is loyal and that carry’s weight

He also treats the side like a club side so it makes sense to keep the same team

Yeah, they were known as Ramsey's wingless wonders. The memory fades but like you say Ramsey generally favoured grafters such as Roger Hunt, Alan Ball and Nobby Stiles over more gifted players like George Eastham which meant they were often boring to watch but knew how to get results. But Gordon Banks, Bobby Charlton and Bobby Moore would surely have been world class in any era.[/QUOTE

Spot on, nice to see a mention of George Eastham, lovely little player but you must not say that these days.

Lingard has impressed me and so have Henderson so I’ll get that in now

I just agree that sort out the balance and we have such a better team and it’s easy too

Southgate though is loyal and that carry’s weight

He also treats the side like a club side so it makes sense to keep the same team

Hendersen is just as limited as I always thought he was. He is doing a job. Personally Id prefer Dier, but thats me - however I can live with him in the team.

Linguard I think is a bit of a Feilani, essentiallyt kind of brick but somehow comes up with the goods. He is growing on me though, amazing work rate and energy - I just wish he thought a bit faster and had a little more awareness.

Southagte is loyal, and to a point its admirable, there does come a time though where its a mistake to just stick with the same players regardless of form etc.

When people talk about that 1966 side with Moore, Charlton etc. Is it just nostalgia or were they actually an excellent team?

I was just thinking if we were to win the world cup then I will be telling my kids when they are older about the time we won with Lingard, Sterling and Ashley Young... seems weird

They had Moore, Charlton and Banks who could have got into any side, add to that you had players like Hurst , Stiles, Ball who would never stop working. Ramsey had a plan and it was unusual for that time and it worked.

Sticks in my throat because I just cannot bring myself to like Henderson but this WC I think Southgate is right to prefer him to Dier.

Sticks in my throat because I just cannot bring myself to like Henderson but this WC I think Southgate is right to prefer him to Dier.

I agree, Henderson has had a very good W/Cup and its mostly those who can not see past the fact he plays for Liverpool that can not see that.

When the moment comes, that our WC participation falters, you can guarantee it’s going to come from a Henderson turnover.

And even if it does, he should not be spacegoated for it.
Whatever happens now we have gone further than anyone in their right mind could have imagined. Henderson has been a good part of that. Much as it galls me to admit it

For sure he has his limitations, mainly his penchant for slowing play and passing backwards but credit where it's due, we've seen less of them recently.

His attitude has been awful, that’s his problem, gerrard was the same, must come with the Liverpool captaincy, we’ve seen him suddenly decide to play left wing against Colombia, stick a lazy penalty right where there keeper was going and play far too many hospital balls and excited passes, his job is to pick the ball up from the cb’s and give it to Alli or Lingard, that’s it.

Last edited:
His attitude has been awful, that’s his problem, gerrard was the same, must come with the Liverpool captaincy, we’ve seen him suddenly decide to play left wing against Colombia, stick a lazy penalty right where there keeper was going and play far too many hospital balls and excited passes, his job is to pick the ball up from the cb’s and give it to Alli or Lingard, that’s it.
Parkeritis, when he stuck to his job he was integral to the team, when he decided he should be running box to box and playmaking he was a fudging disaster who got in the way of better players

When the moment comes, that our WC participation falters, you can guarantee it’s going to come from a Henderson turnover.

He has his limitations as others have said but he’s kept things neat and tidy so far. Dier isn’t exactly world class when it comes to distribution either and often gives the ball away in dangerous positions in big games so I don’t think we’re worse off with Henderson in instead of Dier.

Hendersen is just as limited as I always thought he was. He is doing a job. Personally Id prefer Dier, but thats me - however I can live with him in the team.

Linguard I think is a bit of a Feilani, essentiallyt kind of brick but somehow comes up with the goods. He is growing on me though, amazing work rate and energy - I just wish he thought a bit faster and had a little more awareness.

Southagte is loyal, and to a point its admirable, there does come a time though where its a mistake to just stick with the same players regardless of form etc.

Reminds me of when we won about 6-7 games in an row under AVB when Adebayor was going through a torrid time and couldn’t score in a month of Sunday’s. We were winning in spite of him. Feels like the same now with Sterling. The big difference is we didn’t have any other choice as Defoe was injured. We have Rashford who looks far more dangerous and also has the pace to stretch defences.

Back