• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Group G (Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England)

Status
Not open for further replies.
England and Belgium were disgrace as both set out to lose this match. Both played weak teams and didn't put much effort. But unfortunately for Belgium, their striker Januzaj, didn't seem to read the script and scored a brilliant goal to give Belgium the win. England will now be in the easier part of the knockout stages and face Colombia in the Second Round. Belgium will face Japan but will have to face much difficult teams like Brazil, France or Argentina next to reach the Final. But with this defeat to Belgium, England will now have to do something that not many teams have done in the World Cup. Only 4 teams have gone on to win the World Cup after losing a first round match : West Germany in 1954 and 1974, Argentina in 1978 and Spain in 2010. Let's see if England can make the football gods happy after deliberately losing to Belgium.

Tunisia beating Panama only confirms the fact Panama has been the worst team in this World Cup. Egypt and Panama are the only teams to have lost all their 3 matches in this World Cup. Amazingly, all the other teams have achieved at least 1 draw in this World Cup. Remember, this was only the third time Egypt have played in this World Cup and Panama were very fortunate to be playing in their first ever World Cup. Not sure if both Egypt and Panama will be in the next few World Cups.

With it expanding to 48 teams and the extra 16 places going mainly outside of Europe they probably will.

What do you find about him that’s exciting?
I’m trying to see what he is good at and so far I’ve seen nothing
He looks alright but no more for me

Agree. No better than Onomah imo. Both have a languid style, both play like they are in second gear, both can't seem to nail down a their own position on the pitch.

There are flashes of talent but not enough consistency.

Pretty uneventful game last night with not many standouts from either side. I must say I was disappointed in Dier's performance having been annoyed by Henderson's selection over him, but what I witnessed last night won't change the opinions that matter and looked like a player who was just going through the motions, sloppy at times and not showcasing his talent.

Rose was at fault for the goal but I thought he had a really good game, it's a shame that'll end up most likely costing him when it comes to selection against COLUMBIA.

The rest of them didn't really do anything to give the manager a headache with selection so perhaps giving most of our first eleven a rest may well prove a master stroke as we're going to need them if we have any designs on going far in the tournament.

Thought that a number of players were showing that they knew they were playing for the B team with very little chance of playing in the next game. Dier was certainly one of these alongside Vardy, Jones and Welbeck. Like you I thought that Rose was one of our better players and at least consistently tried to get to the byline. Just a shame that he lost concentration for the goal, although Delph and Pickford were also at fault.

One thing I could not understand was why Alexander Arnold was taking all of the free kicks and corners. I know he was replacing Trippier but surely there must be others in the team who can take a corner or free kick. Certainly his corners were very poor.

What last night clearly showed however, is that there is not much depth in the squad. Just wonder now whether Southgate is regretting taking players such as Jones, Delph, Welbeck, and perhaps even TAA who clearly are not worthy of a squad place. It was crying out for creativity last night and maybe a Lallana or Shelvey in the team.

I think the whole B team, play to lose and the reserves stuff being spouted is utter crap.

Other than Vardy over Kane you could say everyone playing had a good chance or were in with a shout of starting the tournament within reason. Dier/Henderson, Young/Rose, Rashford/Sterling etc were all close calls in previous games, hardly makes us weaker to include them in the side.

I'm still in shock Kane didn't get some game time - I'd be fuming if I was leading the golden boot standings and kept on the bench. We should have rotated a bit (maybe 5 or so changes) but still gone for the win. Why are we plotting a route to the final when we've won one knockout match in like 20 years.

I'm still in shock Kane didn't get some game time - I'd be fuming if I was leading the golden boot standings and kept on the bench. We should have rotated a bit (maybe 5 or so changes) but still gone for the win. Why are we plotting a route to the final when we've won one knockout match in like 20 years.

Who is plotting out a route? The press? Its all garbage, I am in no doubt we went into the game yesterday to win, Southgates got too much about him to go out and look for a manufactured loss.

It was an opportunity to rest players ahead of a knockout game in a few days. I think the players tried to win they just weren’t very good or practiced.

What do you find about him that’s exciting?
I’m trying to see what he is good at and so far I’ve seen nothing
He looks alright but no more for me

Reminds me of an unrefined Dembele.

Physical beast but mobile, decent dribbling ability, and always seems to get the ball up the field, makes things happen

What do people think would have happened if both had played the A-teams?

Here, at least, most of the players had the incentive of winning a starting place in the next match, especially true for Rashford, Rose, RLC, Dier and Cahill. They had something to prove, as also with some of the Belgium players (e.g. Januzaj).

In contrast, if Southgate and Martinez had gone with the starters we might have seen an even lower key game. The players would have had their status as starters confirmed and they would be intent on avoiding injury and preserving energy. It might have been like the end of the Japan-Poland game. In the end we could have the same result (I make Belgium favourites) with a few players with knocks and yellows.

The only problem that may stop Belgium is their attitude.
They have some excellent players, England are not at the same level.
We have done well to get this far, Columbia will be very tough a very even tie.

What do people think would have happened if both had played the A-teams?

Here, at least, most of the players had the incentive of winning a starting place in the next match, especially true for Rashford, Rose, RLC, Dier and Cahill. They had something to prove, as also with some of the Belgium players (e.g. Januzaj).

In contrast, if Southgate and Martinez had gone with the starters we might have seen an even lower key game. The players would have had their status as starters confirmed and they would be intent on avoiding injury and preserving energy. It might have been like the end of the Japan-Poland game. In the end we could have the same result (I make Belgium favourites) with a few players with knocks and yellows.

assuming both sides were full strength and on it, we'd have lost by more than one imo

His dribbling still looks clumsy to me
He seems to not be aware of the space around him
Also, his attacking passes went long or out a bit

He has the physique of a holding/defensive midfielder.
Maybe that's where his talents are better served.
He's not nimble enough IMHO to play the Dele role further forward.
There is a player there alright but maybe he needs to be coached to play in a Dembele type role?

I find him really exciting, but have to admit based on what he can be more than what he is.

I do like him, seems to make things happen, and shows glimpses of potential that make me think he could be something special in a couple of seasons

You may be right, he is only 22 and has time to progress but as i have said i have seen nothing from him to warrant his place in the side.

Good question, i believe our M/F is unbalanced and i would have taken Shelvey ( not because i think he is a great player but he can play the killer ball).

Again that’s not true... his assist stats for that killer ball are brick

He can pass I agree but it’s not effective

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back