• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Group G (Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my biggest problem with him, he's like the opposite of Modric.

When Modric plays, he's constantly looking around him - on the ball, off the ball and especially coming to collect the ball. He knows the shape of play at all times so he knows what angle to approach the ball holder from, which way to turn, where the options will be when he does, etc. He knows when, how and where to close and when he needs to cover space. He knows whether the defenders need him to come deep or if he needs to drift into space and where that space is.

Henderson repeatedly gets every single one of those wrong because he has no awareness whatsoever and no reading of what's happening around him.

Problem here is that you are comparing Henderson with one of the best and unique central midfielders that I've certainly seen in my lifetime.

I think that we'd be better with Dele tucked in behind Kane with Loftus Cheek playing Dele's role today.
I’d have no issue with that, if dele is fit for the next game. Against Belgium I’d definitely play a fit Alli as a 10, I just feel that sterling is neither a 10 or a 9 and against Panama we can afford to have two strikers and an attacking midfielder and maybe against Belgium we go down the number 10 with Kane route.

I’d have no issue with that, if dele is fit for the next game. Against Belgium I’d definitely play a fit Alli as a 10, I just feel that sterling is neither a 10 or a 9 and against Panama we can afford to have two strikers and an attacking midfielder and maybe against Belgium we go down the number 10 with Kane route.

I agree with most of that. My thinking for the next game is it would give us a chance to play that line up and give it a chance of jelling before we face tougher opponents.

I agree with most of that. My thinking for the next game is it would give us a chance to play that line up and give it a chance of jelling before we face tougher opponents.
May all depend on Alli, would hate to lose him for the big game he looked a different class until he got injured. I’m ABS, anyone but Sterling!

Problem here is that you are comparing Henderson with one of the best and unique central midfielders that I've certainly seen in my lifetime.
And the model of what a player in his position should be.

If you do the opposite of the best in your role, you're probably not going to be very good.

Always said it is better to move a player a year too early than a year too late.

Kyle Walker is now - and will long be - the living embodiment of that philosophy.

Absolutely donkey-headed decision in the box to stick out his arm like that and invite the easy over-reaction. That, and the sleepwalking play against Wigan in the FA Cup clearly show Walker's learned nothing. And now he's lost a step of pace and a dash of ambition. Imagine that combination of elements commanding the starting left back role at Spurs next season.

Whereas Trippier is rightfully earning MoM calls. And commanding the starting left back role at Spurs next season.

Come on mate, that first ball over the top for Alli was neither of those things - clearly showed awareness of his run with a good first time pass.

That was a fabulous ball. One action does not a great performance make though. And he was simply sub par for the most part, for me. Slowing play, losing the ball, rabbit in the headlights stuff.

Playing the ball back to defenders when not under pressure, getting the ball and just punting it because he was begining to get closed down, passing the ball into touch/to no one/to Tunisia - he looked out of his depth. And a large part of it was a lack of awareness. Did know he had time, didnt know he didnt have time... As well as that he just wasnt making the right decisions most of the time.

But yes, one good pass so I stand corrected...

I think youre in a minority of one with that one. Martinez has had years and opportunity to prove himself. And he has, he has proven he isnt a very good manager at all.

@scaramanga, where is Pirate55's thread on Corners, have you deleted it? Seemed like a good source of goals today, yet again.

I agree we should not prioritise corners as some brilliant %age source of goals, but it is a vital source of goals in tight matches.
Had those corners been defended at even an average level then they wouldn't have been goals.

Chucking in corners in the hope of defensive errors is no better than long balls in the hope of a defensive error

This is my biggest problem with him, he's like the opposite of Modric.

When Modric plays, he's constantly looking around him - on the ball, off the ball and especially coming to collect the ball. He knows the shape of play at all times so he knows what angle to approach the ball holder from, which way to turn, where the options will be when he does, etc. He knows when, how and where to close and when he needs to cover space. He knows whether the defenders need him to come deep or if he needs to drift into space and where that space is.

Henderson repeatedly gets every single one of those wrong because he has no awareness whatsoever and no reading of what's happening around him.
Whilst I agree with everything you’ve written, it’s harsh to compare him to Modric when no one else in the squad is able to offer that either. We don’t have that type of player fit (Winks), so have to play a different style of player in Henderson or Dier.

Whilst I agree with everything you’ve written, it’s harsh to compare him to Modric when no one else in the squad is able to offer that either. We don’t have that type of player fit (Winks), so have to play a different style of player in Henderson or Dier.
Dier is no Modric, obviously, but he's far more that player than Henderson is. He plays with his head up, is a far better judge of the kind of pass needed at that moment and is able to choose the pass that defenders don't expect.

Some thoughts on last night's game:

1. If Harry Kane is the only player likely to score for England, why are we not playing to his strengths? In the 2nd half Kane received only a couple of passes when in the box with largely an absence of crosses, apart from Trippier
2. Our back 3 look like an accident waiting to happen. Can't help thinking Cahill should be in there somewhere.
3, Is Young playing instead of Rose because he can take free kicks? It surely must be better to have a left footed left back, i.e. Rose, particularly when we have a right footed, left side defender, Maguire, behind him.
4. Don't understand all the love for Henderson last night. He was ok but with too many poor passes and average at best.
5. Sterling lost the ball almost every time he had it. Surely he can't start the next match
6. I know we started well, but the formation doesn't seem quite right as it seems geared to getting Sterling, Lingard and Alii into scoring positions when only Alli of the 3 can actually finish.
7. Do we really only have Trippier and Young who can take free kicks?
8. VAR is clearly only as good as the officials operating it. As we saw at Wembley against Rochdale, poor officials operating the VAR leads to a farcical game.
9. How did the ref not book any Tunisia players during the game?

Last edited:
Las night wasn't great, I'm struggling to really find many positives from the game outside of Kane's goals and Trippier playing some great defence splitting passes.

Whilst the formation may in theory suit the players we have, the movement required to make the system work needs a lot more work, too many static players, not enough intelligent runs off the ball and a midfield that lacks a real playmaker isn't going to trouble any half decent side in this tournament and our defence is definitely a concern.

Lets hope it's just first game nerves and the lads can express themselves moving forward.

̶C̶O̶Y̶S̶!̶ INGERLAND!

Las night wasn't great, I'm struggling to really find many positives from the game outside of Kane's goals and Trippier playing some great defence splitting passes.

Whilst the formation may in theory suit the players we have, the movement required to make the system work needs a lot more work, too many static players, not enough intelligent runs off the ball and a midfield that lacks a real playmaker isn't going to trouble any half decent side in this tournament and our defence is definitely a concern.

Lets hope it's just first game nerves and the lads can express themselves moving forward.

̶C̶O̶Y̶S̶!̶ INGERLAND!
I thought we were very good in the first half personally, if we were 5-1 (the 1 for them was basically their only attack and a debateable / stupid pen) up at HT then it wouldn’t have flattered us. I think that’s quite positive?

There is a lot to be positive about, but also plenty to reign in those prone to getting carried away.

In general I like the shape, and I like the intent. They actually look like a team, together, and not a bunch of individuals. It was also very evident post match when every player was on message (as bland as that is).

We made some great runs and for once got numbers in attacking positions, which is great (and unlike England).

Playing with one true CM is a really brave thing to commit to.

It looks to me like the players believe in what Southgate is doing, and IMO what he is doing could be pretty good once it settles.

Which leads into the niggles:

It is clear the players arent settled into the shape yet. I fully expect this to improve with time, but particularly in defence they lost shape and many forward moves/passes never happened because players werent fully on the same wavelength.

Young is not a LWB. Not even close, and his dependency on his right foot became an obvious problem. It begs the question why Rose or even Delph werent used instead (and why Southgate didnt change it).

Walker is not a CB. I thought he was very poor last night. I said in another thread, if we play 4 at the back Walker is RB, if we play 3 Walker isnt on the field. Id bring Cahill in and allow Stones a little more freedom.

I dont like Henderson in midfield, would much prefer Dier. No club bias, I just dont think Henderson has the ability to keep things moving properly in that position.

I didnt like Linguard either, couldnt hit a cows ass with a banjo despite having Kante level fitness and making great runs.

Both Rashford and Loftus-Cheek did much better when coming on, and could arguably be in line to start.

Otherwise I think its all about time, getting the players to gel. As it stands though this is as positive Ive been looking at England in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back