• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Group F (Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea)

Well done to Mexico for beating Germany for once ! This was a sweet revenge by Mexico for losing to W.Germany on penalties in the 1986 WC which they hosted. Even worse was the way Mexico lost to Germany in the 1998 Second Round match which they were leading but lost after conceding 2 goals in the last 15 minutes. Mexico always had quality team but their main problem always were their lack of mental strength and self belief. After beating Germany, let's see if they can go all the way to win the WC this time. Germany seem to be affected by the curse of the defending champions. The WC champions have always done badly in the following WC. France in 2002, Italy in 2010 and Spain in 2014 didn't even progress to the Second Round from their groups. Let's see if Germany can do any better this time.

If England faced South Korea in the quarter finals, would everyone here be cheering on Son for a semi-final place and an exemption, or would you allow petty jingoistic concerns to trump what was best for Spurs?

If England faced South Korea in the quarter finals, would everyone here be cheering on Son for a semi-final place and an exemption, or would you allow petty jingoistic concerns to trump what was best for Spurs?

Would have to be England I'm afraid in this instance. Any chance of England getting that far I'd have to take (as long as it wasn't an injury to one of our players).
We have no idea what might happen to Son's career at Spurs between now and the deadline. Plus he has the Asian games in September as another chance. Does the World Cup even give exemptions? I thought it was medalling at the Olympics or Asian Games?

There's no readers to be gained through slating foreign teams

No newspaper gains readers, the media have created a monster in their over hyping of sport and only see GREAT winners and rubbish losers, they have played to the worse elements of human nature and hold no firm veiws on any issue. The Germans and Brazil should be crucified by the media as they have spent the last 4 weeks telling us how brilliant they are and never fail miserably like England and Scotland.

No newspaper gains readers, the media have created a monster in their over hyping of sport and only see GREAT winners and rubbish losers, they have played to the worse elements of human nature and hold no firm veiws on any issue. The Germans and Brazil should be crucified by the media as they have spent the last 4 weeks telling us how brilliant they are and never fail miserably like England and Scotland.

They do gain (or lose) readers based on an editorial line. I agree with you about the tone of their coverage, if there was any money to be made from reporting other countries in the same way, they would.

Would have to be England I'm afraid in this instance. Any chance of England getting that far I'd have to take (as long as it wasn't an injury to one of our players).
We have no idea what might happen to Son's career at Spurs between now and the deadline. Plus he has the Asian games in September as another chance. Does the World Cup even give exemptions? I thought it was medalling at the Olympics or Asian Games?
Yeah, if they win the WC they get fudge all, but a medal at the Asian games... :p

FWIW, looks like World Cup semi-final (or, failing that, a gold at Asian Games and if not that then there’s still the 2019 Asian Cup) would do the trick...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-cup-south-korea-military-service-asian-games

Well done to Mexico for beating Germany for once ! This was a sweet revenge by Mexico for losing to W.Germany on penalties in the 1986 WC which they hosted. Even worse was the way Mexico lost to Germany in the 1998 Second Round match which they were leading but lost after conceding 2 goals in the last 15 minutes. Mexico always had quality team but their main problem always were their lack of mental strength and self belief. After beating Germany, let's see if they can go all the way to win the WC this time. Germany seem to be affected by the curse of the defending champions. The WC champions have always done badly in the following WC. France in 2002, Italy in 2010 and Spain in 2014 didn't even progress to the Second Round from their groups. Let's see if Germany can do any better this time.

I'm beginning to spot a trend in these write-ups

Back