• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

World Cup 2018 Final: France vs Croatia

Either way it's a lot of pressure to decide in 30 seconds.

They need to firm up the handball rules. This "intentional" requirement is nonsense -- hardly anyone intentionally handballs it in the area. If it hits the hand while away from the body should be a penalty.

I agree with that.

Its the WC final, it’s constant pressure.

I've watched slo-mo of the 1st goal. Pogba was definitely offside and challenged Mandzukic, not reviewed it seems.
Same as Wimmers og vs scum. It's a bit strange but those are the rules. Ball doesn't reach him, so not in a penalizable offside.

How is that var’s fault, the ref has watched it himself 4/5 times and still got it wrong

True, but it's been a recurring theme, refs not being able to call the right decision despite of the replay. If we're going to use this thing in the times to come there needs to be a clear consensus and understanding of the rules, especially hand ball, as this wc has shown. Its like the refs don't get it, or maybe the rules are too fuzzy.

He got it right. We're 4 refs sitting here watching, and all agree it's a pen, so did the 4 professor in the VAR room, and the world cup final referee. But I guess it's the non-professionals that are right then, and all us professionals that have no clue.

How can you deliberately touch the ball when you don’t know where it is?

True, but it's been a recurring theme, refs not being able to call the right decision despite of the replay. If we're going to use this thing in the times to come there needs to be a clear consensus and understanding of the rules, especially hand ball, as this wc has shown. Its like the refs don't get it, or maybe the rules are too fuzzy.

It’s giving bad refs nowhere to hide certainly.

The rules are too fuzzy and that was always going to be the issue for VAR and it’s turned out exactly that way.

You can put your arm in a position where the probability of the ball hitting it is higher. You might not know where the ball is but you improve your chances. It's like the John Terry monkey stance with his arms parallel but away from body to make him wider.

Hand seeks ball. Also if his arms where just flapping about, his hand would ricochet backwards. It didn't, his arm was stiff and he hits it out of play. It may not be totally deliberate, but it's not entirely unintentional.

You can put your arm in a position where the probability of the ball hitting it is higher. You might not know where the ball is but you improve your chances. It's like the John Terry monkey stance with his arms parallel but away from body to make him wider.

You can, and as the law is worded that’s still not a penalty.

Hand seeks ball. Also if his arms where just flapping about, his hand would ricochet backwards. It didn't, his arm was stiff and he hits it out of play. It may not be totally deliberate, but it's not entirely unintentional.

Then it’s not handball.

I thought the penalty was okay. His arm was outstretched 90 degrees away from his body. I thought it looked like offside on Pogba for the first goal though. He definitely went for the ball and looked to be in an offside position, although I've only seen one replay. Never a free kick in the first place either.

If France win they must be one of the worst World Cup winners for a while though (maybe Italy weren't great in 2006 either). All counter attacks and set pieces. No attacking play of their own. You'd expect them to have enough talent to play some football.

So VAR was supposed to stop all controversy and clear up all situations, what a fudging joke.

straw2.jpg

Back