• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Working abroad

Essex Yid

Bobby Zamora
So I've just graduated from uni and have no idea what I wanna be doing on a permanent basis. As a result I have an overwhelming urge to fudge off somewhere, get any kind of job and bum around somewhere for a year or so.

Has anyone had an experience of this kind, and if so what? Ideally I'd love to go to South America, possibly somewhere like Buenos Aires and maybe save up to go to Brazil 2014.

I know teaching English is a popular choice, so that is a possibility. But anything- bar work, being a tour guide etc would appeal to me.

So yeah, any help on where to get started/the easiest jobs for English speakers to find would be much appreciated.

The Gulf loves English natives as teachers for a semester or two. I am in Oman right now, not teaching but plenty of my friends are. Some are qualified, and some do their PGCE to upgrade whatever degree they have to develop teaching skills and work teaching English (or something else). The school will provide you with accommodation, a tax free wage, allowances for transport and whatever else you might need, plus they will sort out the paperwork for you. From my experience here, being a Brit and having English as a first language is a massive step up - a friend went from Health and Safety officer to Asst Manager of a bar just because of his nationality, language and personality. Skills seem irrelevant, it's pretty easy.

A friend teaches in Korea and loves it, he was on the Barclays grad scheme beforehand. Nothing to do with teaching English as a second language.

Consider the cost of living compared to potential earnings. Brazil is expensive, Argentina's economy is a bit risky. If you speak other languages then there are so many more doors open to you.

How about America? you can get a 1yr visa for a 'working holiday' through sites like globalvisas.com (I've used them before and it was a very good and successful service). Decent wage, nice standard of living, less likely to be mugged and kidnapped than South America - although still a chance - and close to where you want to go next summer.

I lived in Canada and really want to move to Japan. Currently exploring the teaching English route, but seems to be really competitive.

I did this and went to Buenos Aires for half a year. Was supposed to be a year, but couldn't really find any decent way of earning money there, so only stayed for as long as my savings could support me. We hung out with quite a few British people there, a lot of them were English teachers, but the pay they got was horrible. I think they mostly did it to get the experience more than anything. Quite a few Irish pubs in Buenos Aires too, and pretty much only British people working there - but again, the pay isn't great. I'd work a few months at home if I were you, save up some money to keep in reserve, would make it a lot less stressful while there. :)

Simple, come to Australia and teach English, because these numpties haven't a clue about the language.

Never, ever, ever say awesome, ripper, soccer, bonza, or anything else from Home and Away .

All you have to say is cricket/ashes/football ..... That really gets them going !

The Gulf loves English natives as teachers for a semester or two. I am in Oman right now, not teaching but plenty of my friends are. Some are qualified, and some do their PGCE to upgrade whatever degree they have to develop teaching skills and work teaching English (or something else). The school will provide you with accommodation, a tax free wage, allowances for transport and whatever else you might need, plus they will sort out the paperwork for you. From my experience here, being a Brit and having English as a first language is a massive step up - a friend went from Health and Safety officer to Asst Manager of a bar just because of his nationality, language and personality. Skills seem irrelevant, it's pretty easy.

A friend teaches in Korea and loves it, he was on the Barclays grad scheme beforehand. Nothing to do with teaching English as a second language.

Consider the cost of living compared to potential earnings. Brazil is expensive, Argentina's economy is a bit risky. If you speak other languages then there are so many more doors open to you.

How about America? you can get a 1yr visa for a 'working holiday' through sites like globalvisas.com (I've used them before and it was a very good and successful service). Decent wage, nice standard of living, less likely to be mugged and kidnapped than South America - although still a chance - and close to where you want to go next summer.

What do you do in Oman? I'm looking at a secondment to the Gulf.

if anyone on a gap year or just finishing Uni has a football coaching qualification and fancies working hard and coaching expat kids in Bangkok for a year drop me a line....

oh ...and for 'livable' wages :)

TEFL is the teaching course which everyone seems to do if they are working abroad, my mate done it with a view to finding work in South America, said it was a piece of tinkle (the course)

Danners - what is it you do out in Oman?

Mate of mine spent a year down in Chile and loved it. Much much cheaper than Buenos Aires and they are a sucker for anyone who can speak English apparently.

haha - this is surreal.

I was offered a job yesterday. There were two positions available and was offered one, but I wasnt first choice so I didnt get what I wanted which was the position in London. I was offered a position which entails relocating to Japan (Tokyo) and I was going to ask whether anyone has had such a move etc... I mean I dont mind relocating to somewhere where the language is the same - Australia, America etc but to relocate to Japan whilst would be amazing, it would be a massive upheavel type move. They have given me two weeks to think about it. They pay for the first three months of moving then after that I have to move out etc... If I was younger then definitely...

I would love to work abroad somewhere like USA or Dubai even (hate Australia so no no for me).

What do you do in Oman? I'm looking at a secondment to the Gulf.

I write for a PR company. Mostly it is corporate clients, charities, schools. Some big ones. I do their press releases, award submissions, interview answers, speeches, as well as editing work my colleagues do and advising (/criticising the existing plans) on strategy. That sort of thing. It's a fairly big company, HQ is in Dubai although it was founded in Saudi. Because the standard of English is SO VERY, VERY poor amongst members of the local media (mostly from India, to be honest. Untrained and work goes through unchecked), clients prefer a native English speaker to basically do the journalist work for them. My work goes into national, regional and some global publications as is, without any editing by idiots who don't know what the words mean.

It's a nice place to live. Nice salary, good weather all year round, not much pressure, cheap cost of living. No religious rules that put me out in any way, except the shops being closed during the day while Ramadan was on.

Where in the Gulf are you looking?

haha - this is surreal.

I was offered a job yesterday. There were two positions available and was offered one, but I wasnt first choice so I didnt get what I wanted which was the position in London. I was offered a position which entails relocating to Japan (Tokyo) and I was going to ask whether anyone has had such a move etc... I mean I dont mind relocating to somewhere where the language is the same - Australia, America etc but to relocate to Japan whilst would be amazing, it would be a massive upheavel type move. They have given me two weeks to think about it. They pay for the first three months of moving then after that I have to move out etc... If I was younger then definitely...

I would love to work abroad somewhere like USA or Dubai even (hate Australia so no no for me).

do it you fudging ninny.

will be an amazing experience

do it you fudging ninny.

will be an amazing experience

It would be an experience and part of me is glad that the other candidate went for the London job as this has given me the opportunity for Japan. The other part though wishes it was in London.

Lots to think about but yeah youre right - amazing experience should I go.

ps - a fudgein ninny? a ninny? A NINNY? Never heard that before ya ****

Think it describes you well, at least your contributions to the film thread = nincompoop

haha - yeah my film taste has a great deal to be desired for

What did you do in Calcutta? Was it for work or you just decided to move there?

haha - this is surreal.

How did you get offered that? I'm desperate to go to Japan.

How did you get offered that? I'm desperate to go to Japan.

A Japanese bank - never worked in financial services but gave the interviews a shot and got the job. Predominantly wanted the London vacancy.

There are many agencies out there that advertise international careers. Give them a shot.

So I've just graduated from uni and have no idea what I wanna be doing on a permanent basis. As a result I have an overwhelming urge to fudge off somewhere, get any kind of job and bum around somewhere for a year or so.

Has anyone had an experience of this kind, and if so what? Ideally I'd love to go to South America, possibly somewhere like Buenos Aires and maybe save up to go to Brazil 2014.

I know teaching English is a popular choice, so that is a possibility. But anything- bar work, being a tour guide etc would appeal to me.

So yeah, any help on where to get started/the easiest jobs for English speakers to find would be much appreciated.

In a similar boat mate. Graduate from uni this summer and finding it impossible to get into anything along the lines i want to, so the possibility of a year abroad is coming increasingly attractive!

Back