• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Winston Reid

He is currently better than Dier and close to, or perhaps even better than, Fazio.

Dier is 6 years younger than him, yet only in positioning and strength does Reid exceed him (things Dier will gain rapidly as he matures).

Reid is nowhere near Fazio's level IMO. He's quite comparable with Kaboul at the moment, except maybe fitter and a stronger character than YK.

If we're after a defender of his ilk, I'd prefer Dawson from Hull.

One thing that is so good about Fazio is how good he is on the ball for a big guy. It's essential for Poch's system that our defenders are comfortable in possession and can move the ball quickly. Reid has none of those attributes.
Winston Reid would walk into the team above Fazio - doesn't have brain farts like him, is good on the ball and much more athletic. Reid can carry the ball out well, i don't know why you think that. For me if we had Reid, Jan, Fazio and Dier would be a great foursome for next year.

I would be very sad if Arsenal got him. The guy has been excellent for 2 years and would improve them lot instantly.

Winston Reid would walk into the team above Fazio - doesn't have brain farts like him, is good on the ball and much more athletic. Reid can carry the ball out well, i don't know why you think that. For me if we had Reid, Jan, Fazio and Dier would be a great foursome for next year.

I would be very sad if Ar5ena1 got him. The guy has been excellent for 2 years and would improve them lot instantly.

I think Fazio is massively underrated. He doesn't do much last ditch 'for the cameras' stuff, but his positioning, anticipation and organisation mean we neutralise threats before they happen. I think he's up there with Dawson and Campbell at their peaks as the best 'big CB' we've had in the past few decades.

Arsenal went for the Brazilian guy instead of Reid, precisely because Wenger (like Poch) requires ballplaying CBs. Reid is just another Christopher Samba-type uncultured container ship.

And it's quartet, not foursome. Things like that can get you into a lot of trouble ;-)

I think Fazio is massively underrated. He doesn't do much last ditch 'for the cameras' stuff, but his positioning, anticipation and organisation mean we neutralise threats before they happen. I think he's up there with Dawson and Campbell at their peaks as the best 'big CB' we've had in the past few decades.

Ar5ena1 went for the Brazilian guy instead of Reid, precisely because Wenger (like Poch) requires ballplaying CBs. Reid is just another Christopher Samba-type uncultured container ship.

And it's quartet, not foursome. Things like that can get you into a lot of trouble ;-)

If that was the deciding factor it would be quite funny. There was an article or something with a Spanish football pundit (Think it was Nayim) where he said that this Brazilian guy is not great with the ball at his feet like you would expect for a player from Brazil. Add to that Wenger mentioning that he doesn't speak a word of English yet and it could cost them goals... makes that one sound like a worrying signing.

Anyway back to Reid.. I'm not convinced but if Vlad and Kaboul go, do we have enough to get by until the summer? and is that a reason to sign Reid if he is decent but no world beater?

If we're after a defender of his ilk, I'd prefer Dawson from Hull.

One thing that is so good about Fazio is how good he is on the ball for a big guy. It's essential for Poch's system that our defenders are comfortable in possession and can move the ball quickly. Reid has none of those attributes.
Again I ask - on what do you base your opinion that Reid is not comfortable in possession? Is it from actually watching him or from a pre-conceived idea because he plays for an Allardyce managed West Ham team?

I don't think Reid is noticeably any worse than Fazio on the ball (and I don't think I have seen anything as bad from Reid as as Fazio's gifting of possession to Chelsea at WHL when we were 4-1 up at home and cruising to a win).

Reid is a strong, physical player, yet still nice and mobile. He is less dominating in the air than Fazio, but MUCH quicker on the turn and in terms of his lateral movement. I think he could play in place of either Vertonghen or Fazio depending on the opposition and that would give us a good reliable, experienced option to allow us to contend for all four trophies.

Signing Reid this summer would allow us to have 3 experienced central defender in our squad along with Dier as the young option. It would also allow us to get rid of the utterly useless pair of Kaboul and Chiriches (and the number of games that those two have played this season shows exactly why we are in need of another central defender).

Ar5ena1 went for the Brazilian guy instead of Reid, precisely because Wenger (like Poch) requires ballplaying CBs. Reid is just another Christopher Samba-type uncultured container ship.

Did they? Was there anything else that Arsene Wenger told you while telling you this? I hope during your conversation with him you didn't let it slip that Gabriel isn't much of a ballplaying CB at all?

It would be another financial signing - a Pienaar or a Holtby.

Get rid of Chiriches and Kaboul for £10m and get Reid in for free. Swap your 4th and 5th CBs for a new 4th one. Then in 2 years' time we'll sell him back to where he came from (mid table, if not directly West Ham).

At least with Verts, Fazio and Dier, we already have 3 very good CBs ahead of him.

To be honest I would rather we kept Vlad, I see nothing in Reid that suggests he would be a upgrade.

GHod I hope we don't sign him. His playing ability is decent enough, but KUMB doesn't seem to have a high opinion of him as a bloke (and I went back far enough in their Reid thread to account for the shifting biases that come with a player wanting to leave). And in my opinion, a player's character is very important when determining whether he'd fit into Poch' tightly-knit group.

GHod I hope we don't sign him. His playing ability is decent enough, but KUMB doesn't seem to have a high opinion of him as a bloke (and I went back far enough in their Reid thread to account for the shifting biases that come with a player wanting to leave). And in my opinion, a player's character is very important when determining whether he'd fit into Poch' tightly-knit group.
They all loved him until it became clear that he wouldn't be signing a new contract there.

That's what I thought. The West Ham supporters rated him and only stopped doing so when he made it clear he was going to leave. Was he one of their first choice CB's or was it always Collins and Tomkins?

That's what I thought. The West Ham supporters rated him and only stopped doing so when he made it clear he was going to leave. Was he one of their first choice CB's or was it always Collins and Tomkins?
Yes, he was their first choice CH. It was when he came back from injury last season that they stopped their terrible run and started to defend well again. Last season West Ham fans were even talking about Reid being one of the best centre halves in the whole league and not just the best at West Ham.

Personally I think he is the best option for us as a cover defender next season. We KNOW he can hack it in the PL and his combination of pace and power means that he would probably provide perfectly good cover for either Fazio or Vertonghen. His rumoured wage demands are not too high (especially considering he would be a free transfer). Getting him in would allow us to move on both Chiriches and Kaboul who's combined wage will be more than Reid's rumoured £60k a week. We could also probably bring in transfer fees of £7 million or so for the pair (which, for example, would pay for Danny Ings).

Wonder what happened with the Moreno transfer that was rumoured. I'm not sure how he stacks up when compared to Reid but I thought that would be one of the Jan window transfers.

Dier is 6 years younger than him, yet only in positioning and strength does Reid exceed him (things Dier will gain rapidly as he matures).

Reid is nowhere near Fazio's level IMO. He's quite comparable with Kaboul at the moment, except maybe fitter and a stronger character than YK.
Two massively important things for a centre half!

Wonder what happened with the Moreno transfer that was rumoured. I'm not sure how he stacks up when compared to Reid but I thought that would be one of the Jan window transfers.
He looked a good player in the World Cup but I wonder whether he is physically strong enough to be able to play in the Premier League? Reid on a free represents better value for money and a known quantity (which I think I would rather have from my first choice cover centre half).

He got injured in the 34th minute of theor game on Sunday vs Sevilla; though you would expect that if a deal was really a probability he wouldn't have been played....

I think we probably needed to get rid of both Kaboul and Chiriches to make it happen.

I'm sure it will go through in the summer, as Espanyol need the money and he'll be entering the last 12 months of his contract then

Back