• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

windows 10

glasgowspur

Dimitar Berbatov
looking for help,
i've got a cheap windows 10 laptop that i use predominately for emails and internet.
after a nas crash i lost about 10tb of movies and music and i'm in the process of reripping it.
everything was going fine until the night before last when the laptop suddenly stopped recognising the blu ray player if i put a dvd in. blu rays worked fine, not dvds.
now it won't recognise blu rays either. or cds.
i don't want to play them, just rip them with makemkv or eac.
quick internet search suggests this is a windows 10 issue, device manager says drive isn't connected.
is this MS messing about?
anyone know of a work around?
preferably a not too technical one.

thanks

Internal player or external?

If external then I'd be inclined to grab a usb viewer and with the drive not connected uninstall any references to it in the usb viewer, then once done plug in and try again.
Still no go? Drive could be fOOked.

If internal, check the bios as a basic and see if it is being recognised. If so then refreshing the drivers may help, if not seen then drive is fOOked most likely.

As for alternatives, winRAR and Brigadier General ( the letters in caps after "As" being the hint in case mods don't like links to that sort of site..) .to

Try another external drive (can get them for as low as a tenner these days). If it doesn't work too, then it is software-related. But my guess is it is the drive.

Internal player or external?

If external then I'd be inclined to grab a usb viewer and with the drive not connected uninstall any references to it in the usb viewer, then once done plug in and try again.
Still no go? Drive could be fOOked.

If internal, check the bios as a basic and see if it is being recognised. If so then refreshing the drivers may help, if not seen then drive is fOOked most likely.

As for alternatives, winRAR and Brigadier General ( the letters in caps after "As" being the hint in case mods don't like links to that sort of site..) .to

This is the second drive, thought the first one was gubbed. Its only a few months old.

This is the second drive, thought the first one was gubbed. Its only a few months old.

Grab usbdeview, disconnect the drive and remove all references of them (right-click -> uninstall.) Reboot the laptop and connect again to see if it helps.
upload_2021-8-12_0-7-46.png

If you have usb3 and usb 2 (3 should have a blue interior) then also connect to the non blue port, my own machine doesn't always like the external device plugged on the usb3 port :(

There is likely some reg keys to be played with, but tbh playing with the reg isn't always the best thing to do.

A screenshot of your device manager, with the drive plugged in, would maybe help too.

Last edited:
Grab usbdeview, disconnect the drive and remove all references of them (right-click -> uninstall.) Reboot the laptop and connect again to see if it helps.
View attachment 12482

If you have usb3 and usb 2 (3 should have a blue interior) then also connect to the non blue port, my own machine doesn't always like the external device plugged on the usb3 port :(

There is likely some reg keys to be played with, but tbh playing with the reg isn't always the best thing to do.

A screenshot of your device manager, with the drive plugged in, would maybe help too.

Thanks for that, i've downloaded the app and will have a look at it tonight when I get home from work.

View attachment 12482

Thanks Trixster, that worked a treat.
You're a star :)

Back