• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Willian

Shaktar paid around 17m for him which was a gamble and he's done very well. Why would they let him leave without making a large profit, especially in January. Waaaaay too expensive for us, pointless getting hopes up on this one.

If transfermarkt is correct he has a year and a half left on his contract. If that is correct and he wants a move and thus doesn't sign a new contract the club will be running out of options.

Yep, plus it was more like £12m than £17m.

We offered £11.8m in the summer but they wanted £25m, somewhere inbetween those(not £12m Mr Levy) would probably do it.

If transfermarkt is correct he has a year and a half left on his contract. If that is correct and he wants a move and thus doesn't sign a new contract the club will be running out of options.

They can always wait for the summer and sell him for more to one of the bigger clubs who can offer 20m+

They can always wait for the summer and sell him for more to one of the bigger clubs who can offer 20m+

Is he really good enough and high profile enough that they can just sell him for £20m+ with just one year left on his contract just like that?

Generally players with only a year left on their contract drop in value significantly. Van Persie and Nasri for example.

They both still went for 22-5m+

RVP aside - I would say Nasri and him are comparable in terms of ability and potential at this stage in time.

Is he really good enough and high profile enough that they can just sell him for £20m+ with just one year left on his contract just like that?

Generally players with only a year left on their contract drop in value significantly. Van Persie and Nasri for example.

Nasri was reported to be 25m and RVP was reported to be an initial 24m.

Your examples aren't the best, more serves to show that if he's good enough for what we want teams will be paying 20m with only a year left.

Nasri was reported to be 25m and RVP was reported to be an initial 24m.

Your examples aren't the best, more serves to show that if he's good enough for what we want teams will be paying 20m with only a year left.

RVP is the buy of the season, but that was a lot of dough. Can't see Shaktar letting him go on the cheap. But AVB wants him, that's for sure.

No way in hell Arsenal would have sold those two players for the amounts they went for had they had longer left on their contracts. And selling them to league rivals, and in the case of Nasri to rich boys City. Both had been outstanding players, RvP is looking like a bargain - one that might win United the league. Nasri hasn't really been brilliant for City, but he was for Arsenal and I think he would have cost a lot more if not for the contract issues.

Difference between them and Willian is that they were both proven in the Premiership.

Of course other examples could be made, Gareth Barry, Jose Enrique, Gary Cahill (although that was 6 months, not a year)...

If a player is of high demand then their valuation won't take much of a hit even with just a year left on their deal, perhaps only 10-20%, but if the player pushes for one club in particular which is probably what we/AVB is hoping then it gives us a little more power.

No way in hell Arsenal would have sold those two players for the amounts they went for had they had longer left on their contracts.

Quite possibly but the premise here suggested players on 1 year / less on their contracts would struggle to demand high fees - someting which isn't always the case as these examples further illustrated.

Quite possibly but the premise here suggested players on 1 year / less on their contracts would struggle to demand high fees - someting which isn't always the case as these examples further illustrated.

When did that become the premise?

Spurspinter asked why they would let him go without making a huge profit, I replied to that.

The premise is that players with only a year left on their contract will generally move for less money than if they had longer left on their contract. Thus Shaktar might sell a player that they would only sell for a huge profit if he had 3-4 years left on their contract significantly cheaper.

If a player is of high demand then their valuation won't take much of a hit even with just a year left on their deal, perhaps only 10-20%, but if the player pushes for one club in particular which is probably what we/AVB is hoping then it gives us a little more power.

Yes I agree, if there's a lot of interested clubs then the selling club regains a lot of the power. It's no use to Emirates Marketing Project to "wait for his contract to run out" when the player has already moved to PSG.

That's a gamble for the selling club though as a bidding war like that might not start. Like I said, with the contract running low the club will be running out of options.

When did that become the premise?

I was responding to this

There are examples of both' sides', imv. My understanding of this discussion is based on his asking price where the general consus appears to be far less than what they paid (bearing in mind he's grown considerably in both profile and ability) - something which I found rather strange to accept and highly unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
So... In your opinion, is he? I can't see that you actually answered the question you responded to.

By writing that very question didn't I agree that some players command high fees despite only having a year left on their contract as long as they are good enough and high profile enough.

Your question comes across as he isn't good enough to command a high fee whereby my personal observation suggested him and Nasri are on comparable levels (hence my reference to his transfer fees, etc.).

Personally, I think he'd go in the early 20s.

Last edited:
A quicker Kranjacar sounds immense.

Can he play in the hole though as we need someone who can also operate centrallly as well as drift in from the wings.

Your question comes across as he isn't good enough to command a high fee whereby my personal observation suggested him and Nasri are on comparable levels (hence my reference to his transfer fees, etc.).

Personally, I think he'd go in the early 20s.

I haven't seen nearly enough of him myself to form an opinion, just the odd CL game here and there and some highlights.

Difference will always be profile though, don't you think? He might be as good as Nasri, he might not, but Nasri was proven in the Premiership, that immediately inflates the price for another PL side.

My personal observation is one of players from outside the PL can also command high fees while maintaining high (player) profile - I suppose the PL is the most widely 'covered' media-wise.

Also - considering some of the transfer fees paid by Russian/Ukranian clubs over the last 2-3 years suggests their market is hardly a uniform environment (not saying it's a good thing, of course)

A quicker Kranjacar sounds immense.

Can he play in the hole though as we need someone who can also operate centrallly as well as drift in from the wings.

He's only ever really played from the left as far as I can tell(he's right footed) but he drifts right across the pitch so I don't see him playing as a #10 as being a problem. He has far more to his game than pace so it's not like he'd be easily contained there. The one surprising thing I've seen from him is that he tracks back and works hard off the ball too.

He's only ever really played from the left as far as I can tell(he's right footed) but he drifts right across the pitch so I don't see him playing as a #10 as being a problem. He has far more to his game than pace so it's not like he'd be easily contained there. The one surprising thing I've seen from him is that he tracks back and works hard off the ball too.

Would make sense if AVB really loves him as much as the media are claiming. He does seem to look for the more complete players.

Back