• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

LlMust admit never ceases to amaze me how this thread keeps getting bumped with the same negative comments.
It's not like they're adding anything new.
To be fair I think the bump comes from the hope he is finally back or an admiration of his mastery of the dark arts, which then get countered by his lack of availability or goals contribution. Some players really do divide opinions!

I've laid the stats out before. You'd be surprised
Could you humour me and share again? Whenever I’ve looked in isolation I’ve always thought Lamela’s stats were even worse than his actual contribution. Maybe because I’ve only used wiki and prem numbers for goals and appearances?

I will say there’s not much between him and Alli this season on the attacking numbers though!

A8B09ECF-764C-43A8-BF61-6AC4305DF1AC.jpeg

This for me too. Pochettino talks about acting like a big club, can a big club keep carrying an injury prone player? That doesn't only apply to Lamela.

Thought he did well against Ajax and it's good to have him back for Everton and Liverpool even though he's unlikely to start either game.
Kompany.

That wasn't the question:p
Obviously that is a factor.

In recent years we've (imo) had too many players that have had injury problems and not been at the level where a top club would keep them despite that.

It's a question of the number of players too. Could we keep Lamela despite his injury problems, hoping that they lighten, sure. Could we have kept Dembele, Wanyama, Winks and Lamela despite their injury problems, I don't think so.

Obviously that is a factor.

In recent years we've (imo) had too many players that have had injury problems and not been at the level where a top club would keep them despite that.

It's a question of the number of players too. Could we keep Lamela despite his injury problems, hoping that they lighten, sure. Could we have kept Dembele, Wanyama, Winks and Lamela despite their injury problems, I don't think so.
I agree. Due to the numbers game, we do have to look at the 'reality' of the ongoing fitness of our individuals especially in the light of the typical Poch regime. And we do have a few that need close assessment.

Could you humour me and share again? Whenever I’ve looked in isolation I’ve always thought Lamela’s stats were even worse than his actual contribution. Maybe because I’ve only used wiki and prem numbers for goals and appearances?

I will say there’s not much between him and Alli this season on the attacking numbers though!

View attachment 6640

This was a comparison between Zaha, Lamela and Son. From the Moura thread a while back.

Zaha: 29 goals, 17 assists in 154 games for Palace.
Son: 41 goals, 18 assists in 122 games for us.
Lamela: 14 goals, 21 assists in 119 games for us.

I guess you could argue Zaha's an upgrade on Lamela, but he's had more game time and less injury hassle. To come up with less assists in 30+ more games is a worry for me. They're also the same age, so it's not like he has that much more upside.

Also shows how good Son is, given these stats are slightly dated now.

This was a comparison between Zaha, Lamela and Son. From the Moura thread a while back.

Zaha: 29 goals, 17 assists in 154 games for Palace.
Son: 41 goals, 18 assists in 122 games for us.
Lamela: 14 goals, 21 assists in 119 games for us.

I guess you could argue Zaha's an upgrade on Lamela, but he's had more game time and less injury hassle. To come up with less assists in 30+ more games is a worry for me. They're also the same age, so it's not like he has that much more upside.

Also shows how good Son is, given these stats are slightly dated now.
Thanks. In Zaha’s defence he is passing the ball into Benteke rather than Kane!

Thanks. In Zaha’s defence he is passing the ball into Benteke rather than Kane!

Zaha was a big flop for ManU but doing well for Palace. Shows he is another small-club player who cannot handle the pressure of playing for any big clubs. Remember Bentley who were excellent for Blackburn but turned shyte after joining us ? Zaha will be like that.

Zaha was a big flop for ManU but doing well for Palace. Shows he is another small-club player who cannot handle the pressure of playing for any big clubs. Remember Bentley who were excellent for Blackburn but turned shyte after joining us ? Zaha will be like that.

There is so much wrong with this post... Bentley was bought after one single good season; Zaha has been turning in consistently excellent performances for 3 years now - including against top clubs.

He was bought by Ferguson but sidelined by Moyes; instead of moping around he was humble enough to go back to Palace and fulfil the great potential that Big Red Nose saw in him. He felt he needed to repay his home town club and stayed on when others would have just used it as a stepping stone and to hell with the fans. He now feels that the time is right to move and test himself. How does that make him a small club player?

Is he a guaranteed success? No - but then very few players are....

Please Poch, do not include this guy in our squad for the final. You just know he will turn the ball over in a dangerous spot and cost us a goal.

Back