• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Mate, honestly I think you are confusing "highlights reel" Zaha with his level .. it's not the same

Total career - Zaha = 294 Games, 43 goals, Eriksen = 308 Games, 71 goals (league only, some championship for Zaha in that, some dutch league for Eriksen)
PL only = Zaha has 24 goals in last 4 seasons, Son has 41.

At best, this guy would be an off the bench play, at the money, wages and his age (26), he's simply not worth it ...

Absolutely not. Im a local lad and so have an affinity for Palace, watch their games when I can and am very comfortable in saying Zaha is much more than the MOTD player he gets billed as.

There was a time when that was true, but its a long time ago now since that was a fair call.

He has developed season on season and is now a very good player.

I do agree, more end product is needed from him - but that doesnt detract from the ability and potential he has.

And nobody pays anywhere near enough mind to the difference between the two teams. It would be a huge boost for him to be in a side where he isnt the only attacking outlet and single point of success.

Mate, honestly I think you are confusing "highlights reel" Zaha with his level .. it's not the same

Total career - Zaha = 294 Games, 43 goals, Eriksen = 308 Games, 71 goals (league only, some championship for Zaha in that, some dutch league for Eriksen)

At best, this guy would be an off the bench play, at the money, wages and his age (26), he's simply not worth it ...
Kind of why stats can be misleading. You reckon Eriksen or Son would have the same stats if they had three defenders on them everytime they touched the ball? You can do that when playing Palace, you cant when playing Spurs because there are other top players who can hurt you. If Zaha was at Spurs he would have more goals and assists, I would have thought that was obvious tbh....

Its not really fair to compare playing at Tottenham to playing at Palace, our attacking players should have more opportunities and goals. I don't watch enough of Zaha to make a firm comment but to look at absolute numbers wont add anything.

I think Lamela did exactly what he always does when he came on on Saturday - changed the tempo and made us assertive from the top of the pitch. It's a really underrated function.

Game changed when Lamella came on, not sure if it was the change in personnel or system but it definitely changed.

If Zaha matches his current output for Palace for us he will be classed as unproductive - see Lamela and his output. Would he be able to increase his goals/creativity whilst being a squad player and rarely being the sides focal point when on the pitch? Id wager now his numbers/productivity would actually drop should he ever move to a top 6 side.

I do like him though and think his dribbling ability would help us out against tight defences but the arguments being made regarding output and productivity are not ones which support the case for signing him, far from it in fact.

If Zaha matches his current output for Palace for us he will be classed as unproductive - see Lamela and his output. Would he be able to increase his goals/creativity whilst being a squad player and rarely bring the sides focal point when on the pitch? Id wager now his numbers/productivity will drop at a top 6 side.

I do like him and think his dribbling ability would help us out against tight defences but the arguments being made regarding output and productivity are not ones which support the case for signing him,

I really think NOT being a focal point would be to his benefit, not hinderance.

At Palace he has to make everything work, they look to him to make things happen and if they dont basically nothing happens. He has massive responsibility there, and being the only true threat they possess is regularly double and tripple marked. And regularly kicked up in the air (and worse) without so much as a free kick.

You think that will be the case at Spurs?

As I said - if he gets that same attention from the opposing team then Kane/Son/Alli etc will have an absolute field day. That on its own could be priceless.

More likely, IMO, teams wont be able to do that given the threat the other players also pose, so instead he ends up with more space to work in .

And not only that, when he gets into a good position he has players supporting him as well as other players breaking into the box.

And thats aside from the fact that as a team we create and score more than Palace anyway.

Honestly I dont really understand the idea he wouldnt improve with us. Or that he wouldnt improve our team, at the very least in certain situations.

Im a local lad and so have an affinity for Palace, watch their games when I can

Snap. used to live in New Malden and go there with one of my old school mates and mad Palace fan back in the 70/80s. Spurs alternate weekends if it panned out.
Zaha is great but does my head in he's like Kevin aka Derek Lamela on steroids with tricks and flicks.
He would never leave Woy now?

I really think NOT being a focal point would be to his benefit, not hinderance.

At Palace he has to make everything work, they look to him to make things happen and if they dont basically nothing happens. He has massive responsibility there, and being the only true threat they possess is regularly double and tripple marked. And regularly kicked up in the air (and worse) without so much as a free kick.

You think that will be the case at Spurs?

As I said - if he gets that same attention from the opposing team then Kane/Son/Alli etc will have an absolute field day. That on its own could be priceless.

More likely, IMO, teams wont be able to do that given the threat the other players also pose, so instead he ends up with more space to work in .

And not only that, when he gets into a good position he has players supporting him as well as other players breaking into the box.

And thats aside from the fact that as a team we create and score more than Palace anyway.

Honestly I dont really understand the idea he wouldnt improve with us. Or that he wouldnt improve our team, at the very least in certain situations.

Basically there are more players to share around the chances we create, Son Alli Kane Eriksen - 3 at a minimum of those will be playing and looking to create and score goals. Zaha will be in amongst those trying to match the output from when everything went through him.

The no. of chances he gets will likely reduce, not increase as a result of being in a stronger team.

Basically there are more players to share around the chances we create, Son Alli Kane Eriksen - 3 at a minimum of those will be playing and looking to create and score goals. Zaha will be in amongst those trying to match the output from when everything went through him.

The no. of chances he gets will likely reduce, not increase as a result of being in a stronger team.

Why would he try to match the output

He could in effect make the other more effective by taking out the opposition players with his skill (rather than kicking them off the pitch)

Why would he try to match the output

He could in effect make the other more effective by taking out the opposition players with his skill (rather than kicking them off the pitch)

That's the argument being made by others - that Zaha is a productive player and should replace our non productive player in Lamela (despite the latter probably being the more productive of the two over their time in the PL)

There are good reasons for wanting Zaha, no question, id be happy with him in the squad myself but i don't consider him a very productive player (in comparison to what we have) and i think those arguing he is are wrong especially when you look at his output.

Who would he displace from the starting 11?
Isn't better than son, dele or Eriksen for me.
And if can't would he be happy on the bench?
I don't think so.
So it's £60m and £120k a week for an unhappy player. That's the quandary we are in atm.

Who would he displace from the starting 11?
Isn't better than son, dele or Eriksen for me.
And if can't would he be happy on the bench?
I don't think so.
So it's £60m and £120k a week for an unhappy player. That's the quandary we are in atm.

How many times this season has that front 5 played together this season?

Can’t be more than a handful of times?

How many times this season has that front 5 played together this season?

Can’t be more than a handful of times?
I've only named 3, even counting Harry that's 4?
Not many mainly because Harry and dele have been injured and son away a couple of times with Korea.
But he's not likely to displace iany of them imv or be happy to sit on the bench.
He could be an upgrade on lamela, haven't seen enough of Moura to judge yet but he would want first team football.
It's one of those, too good for our bench but not better than starting 11.

I've only named 3, even counting Harry that's 4?
Not many mainly because Harry and dele have been injured and son away a couple of times with Korea.
But he's not likely to displace iany of them imv or be happy to sit on the bench.
He could be an upgrade on lamela, haven't seen enough of Moura to judge yet but he would want first team football.
It's one of those, too good for our bench but not better than starting 11.

He would be part of the front 5 -

It’s the same flawed argument about the first 11 not being able to be improved on, they hardly all play at the same time and if they do it’s assumed they will all be in form.

There would be plenty of minutes for a Zaha type player if they signed

He would be part of the front 5 -

It’s the same flawed argument about the first 11 not being able to be improved on, they hardly all play at the same time and if they do it’s assumed they will all be in form.

There would be plenty of minutes for a Zaha type player if they signed
Who is the other one in the 5?
In our present shape I can only see him competing with son for a space 8n the starting 11 and imv son is a better player.
If I thought he would be happy on the bench I wouldn't be adverse to him, but I don't think he would be. And I can't blame him for that.

Kind of why stats can be misleading. You reckon Eriksen or Son would have the same stats if they had three defenders on them everytime they touched the ball? You can do that when playing Palace, you cant when playing Spurs because there are other top players who can hurt you. If Zaha was at Spurs he would have more goals and assists, I would have thought that was obvious tbh....

Eriksen comparison is showing a CM (creative more than attacking) who is 4th in our goal output/expectation is vastly superior to Zaha in terms of end product. Son is like for like (and perhaps not fair, because Son is probably one of the better wide forward players in Europe now). I really don't see Zaha improving at Spurs, maybe more assists (as he'd be feeding more clinical players)

No point beating dead horse, it's all opinions, my end view of Zaha is that ship sailed, he's too old (not likely to develop greatly), too expensive and really would be no more than Lucas (a quick option off the bench with a few goals in him).

Back