• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who is the best player we have sold?

Who is the best player we have sold?

• Bale

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Berbatov

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Carrick

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gascoigne

• Modric

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Hoddle

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Jennings

• Walker

• Sheringham

• Keane

• Total voters

Mulletperm

Mauricio Taricco
So, with rumours abound of Harry exiting I thought it'd be interesting to discuss who the best player we've had that we sold.

There's a few contenders...
  • Bale
  • Berbatov
  • Carrick
  • Gascoigne
  • Modric
  • Hoddle
  • Jennings
  • Campbell (a clam but a good player)
  • Walker
  • Sheringham
  • Keane
For me, all around, it'd probably be Modric.

Last edited:
Being pedantic I know, but we didn’t sell Sol. At least with Kane he gave us his best years and will manage to provide us with a monstrous fee. We got naff all from Campbell, we just helped groom him to go and win titles up the road....

So, with rumours abound of Harry exiting I thought it'd be interesting to discuss who the best player we've had that we sold.

There's a few contenders...
  • Bale
  • Berbatov
  • Carrick
  • Gascoigne
  • Modric
  • Hoddle
  • Jennings
  • Campbell (a clam but a good player)
  • Walker
  • Sheringham
  • Keane
For me, all around, it'd probably be Modric.

Gough should be in there.

Toss up for me between hoddle and Modric, heart says hoddle head says Modric.

Jennings and Campbell were the biggest shocks. I saw a interview with big Pat that I'd never seen from years ago, the way that man was shoved out the door was scandalous.

Can't comment on Hoddle / Jennings etc, before my time (I'm 35).

My vote is Luka, 100% certified elite, world class talent, who's proven his ability to run football matches at the highest level for his whole career. He was unreal for us, never had a bad game.

Second place is Bale, third Gazza.

Going was a brilliant player
The European ban killed his career here

Unfortunately he was a rangers fan and was always going there. A legend at the club and a fantastic player ruined by an extremely average manager.
A very intelligent guy and one I would think that with the experience of age may regret that move. Can't blame him for it, but he really should have won more top level trophies, and he could have here.

Hoddle, Jennings and Bale would be top 3 for me.
Unfortunately Hoddle was a generation to early for English football, if he was playing in the 90s or later he'd get the recognition he deserves and couldn't blame him for wanting out of English football at that time.
Jennings was the best keeper in the world and it was utter madness selling him, especially to them.
Bale was in the argument for best player in the world outside Messi and Ronaldo at the time he was sold.

1. Modric
2. Pat (of course, didn't see him playing live but read several articles about him, Spurs history book with many mentions of his displays and saw some highlights)
3. Bale
4. Hoddle/Gazza/Campbell

Hoddle.... absolute genius.

When Kane is sold this summer he may edge Hoddle down to number 2. Players just don't score the number of goals that Harry Kane has done for us.

PS.... What sort of brick excuse for a poll is this?!?

Rumour at the time was Dundee Utd wouldn't sell him to Rangers so he did a year down South before heading to Ibrox.
I'd also add Chris Waddle to the list, superb player and was gutted when he left for Marseille.
That was indeed the case. Funny how playing for one of the two big boys in Scotland was considered more attractive than playing for us back then (Rangers were bigger payers than us then).

Back